Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Tielemans - Ndidi - Maddison

It’s no surprise when putting Madison back in his favourite position  as a 10 he starts producing serious numbers . Earlier on when he was playing a deeper so called  pivot roll with Youri it wasn’t quite working . His best position is a 10  play him as a 10 hey ho the lads on fire . I also think the deeper role suits Youri  as he’s almost like an American quarterback ping balls . Wilf is just a beast . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's a super balanced midfield and the best we have ever seen at our club.

This season the trio have even been used in slightly different ways. In some games we have played 4231 with Ndidi and Tielemans almost sat next to one another, like we did today. In other games, we play more of a 433 with Ndidi the deepest player, Tielemans a bit further forwards and Maddison the furthest forward. Today we even switched to a 442 Diamond at the end with Perez then Barnes up top, with Maddison as a 10 and the others playing further back. The one thing we are no longer doing is playing Maddison and Tielemans as two 8's with both swapping over to get forwards, which is how we played when Youri first signed for us.

So this season this trio has evolved as following:

- Maddison playing much further forwards, often in terms of average position he's our furthest forward player. Has responded with lots of goals and assists, significantly improving his goal contributions.

- Tielemans playing much deeper and dictating the play. Becoming the "coach on the pitch" with significantly improved running and tackling stats and performances against big teams. Not great against Liverpool mind you!

- Ndidi keeping the same position but his passing and dealing with the ball under pressure is now very good. Under Puel he always looked nervous and teams targeted him to win the ball back. These days this is a very bad strategy because he will turn out of trouble, play it to Tielemans, who will set the team on their way.

If we keep all 3 together it's not that crazy to think we will have the best central midfield in world football (!), because you have a bit of everything. The team is reminds me the most of is AC Milan in 2008 with Gattuso (the destroyer), Pirlo (the general) and Rui Costa (the artist). That team also had Seedorf in it too though (!) as they played a diamond shape, so they actually had 4 world class midfielders. But the team balance was similar to our 3.

Didn't we use Praet as the 4th in a Diamond at one point?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LC/FC said:

Didn't we use Praet as the 4th in a Diamond at one point?

Yep! We lined up like that when we beat Villa 4-1 away last season. We’ve also switched to the diamond during games many times and tend to do it when we’re chasing the game or want to attack.

When we use the Diamond with Rodgers the game becomes a bit like a Powerleague game with spaces opening up for both teams. In modern football I think it’s hard to play that system all the time because you can get overrun on the transition, but it has its own benefits too. And thinking about it, Praet is a bit Seedorf-esque in that he’s a box to box type with a good engine. But Seedorf was one of the best midfielders of all time - he won the Champions League 6 times with Ajax, Real Madrid and AC Milan which is more than any other player in history. (Not including the old European Cup).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bert said:

These 3 compliment our team and each other perfectly. Of course we are biased but are there really aren’t many better midfield trio’s in the league. 

On a walk with my younger boys yesterday afternoon discussing this exact subject ...... three quite different players that add up to a superb unit - have to keep them together !!! 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

On a walk with my younger boys yesterday afternoon discussing this exact subject ...... three quite different players that add up to a superb unit - have to keep them together !!! 

It’s a perfect mix isn’t it? I wouldn’t be surprised if Wilf is next on a bigger clubs hit list. 

I'm convinced we've got the best midfield combination in club football. N'didi has to be the best destroyer in world football at the moment, Tielemans is one of the best box to box midfielders and Maddison is a top playmaker who can create chances with such ease. I can't see a midfield which is more balanced than ours, and we're one or two attacking options short of being serious prospects in domestic and European football imo. 

Ndidi was fantastic yesterday, Tielemans and Maddison struggled with the pressing and physicality of Liverpool but came through in the end. Overall however agree we have 3 wonderful midfield players who can still develop. If we can keep them and the manager together we can only get better and we are beating top 4 teams regularly now and really look like we have the belief.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shailen said:

I'm convinced we've got the best midfield combination in club football. N'didi has to be the best destroyer in world football at the moment, Tielemans is one of the best box to box midfielders and Maddison is a top playmaker who can create chances with such ease. I can't see a midfield which is more balanced than ours, and we're one or two attacking options short of being serious prospects in domestic and European football imo. 

That’s a major shout. 

Bayern, Atletico, PSG, Man City, Real, Juventus I’d rank higher than us (on paper). 

As for N’didi, he’s in an elite list for defensive midfielders. 

This season I’d put him into the elite list with Kimmich, Goretzka, Saul, Casemiro, Fabinho, De Jong, Saul and Kessie. Kante is been so injury prone for 12 months. I feel for him.

Nowhere near our current trio but I enjoyed Parker, Taylor, Corica (briefly).  Perhaps because we were starting to play football again after the turgid but effective Brian Little era.

Steve Thompson and Gery MacAllister were other stand out midfielders for us and I thought that Draper was going to be the next Gazza.  We're on a completely different level now though.

Edited by murphy

3 hours ago, Bert said:

It’s a perfect mix isn’t it? I wouldn’t be surprised if Wilf is next on a bigger clubs hit list. 

Secretly the injuries Ndidi, Maddison, Soyuncu et al. get are ploys by King Rodgers to detract other clubs from pinching his favourite lads.

:brendan:

Edited by ScrumpyJack

3 hours ago, Bert said:

These 3 compliment our team and each other perfectly. Of course we are biased but are there really aren’t many better midfield trio’s in the league. 

You say that but I know a West Ham  fan who thinks soucek would walk into most teams in the league including in front of ndidi and teliemens. I laughed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sly said:

That’s a major shout. 

Bayern, Atletico, PSG, Man City, Real, Juventus I’d rank higher than us (on paper). 

Bayern yes but I wouldn't say Man City, Real or Juve have a better combination then us. All those teams however have greater squad depth which is far superior to ours. 

56 minutes ago, shailen said:

Bayern yes but I wouldn't say Man City, Real or Juve have a better combination then us. All those teams however have greater squad depth which is far superior to ours. 

How is it then, that when we play the best, ie Man City or Liverpool they completely boss us in midfield, even of we win?  Our midfield is great but let's not get carried away.  Everton beat up our midfield in our first game, albeit with Wilf playing CB.

38 minutes ago, murphy said:

How is it then, that when we play the best, ie Man City or Liverpool they completely boss us in midfield, even of we win?  Our midfield is great but let's not get carried away.  Everton beat up our midfield in our first game, albeit with Wilf playing CB.

You're quite right. Take NDiddi out of our midfield and we'd struggle most weeks. The difference is the physicality as demonstrated by Pool yesterday. 

We've got to find a player or two with that powerful build and real pace who can also play to help NDiddi. Otherwise we'll continue to go close but ultimately fail. 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Because Liverpool and Man City are better than us overall. A good midfield in isolation doesn't win you anything. They have some of the best players in virtually every position but I still maintain we have the best combination.

Our midfielders are reliant on our strikers and wingers taking their chances and our defence being able to hold its own too. Take Man City away last season and Barnes and Chilwell were completely outdone by De Bruyne and Mahrez. Don't think the issue was in midfield then and Liverpool at home last season, TAA ran the show on the same side. We try and overcome this problem with a defensive winger like Albrighton which has worked in all fairness but limits our forward threat. 

Like I said in my earlier post, we need one or two quality players up front next season without losing anyone and I reckon we'll be competing with them two.