Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Crystal Palace 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Just now, Webbo said:

Anyone can be clever with hindsight. If Brendan had fetched Ihenacho off at half time and we lost it would have been Brendans fault for subbing him.

We were resting players, it had to be done.

I was saying it at half time, get tielemans and Vardy on wasnt hindsight just going on with how things were going. I like Rodgers and feel he is great for us but I think that was an opportunity missed to keep things under control 

We've played 2 games in 48 hours. He was gonna rest players.

Where the problem is, is players like Hamza, Iheanacho, Perez and Praet (the latter 2 less so) get their chance to come in and blow it.

Hamza can only play 60 minutes because he's a walking red card. His passing is so irratic, passing to people marked by 2 players, playing ball waist high, passing behind a players stride.

Iheanacho as soon as he missed that pen, his head went and he may aswell have subbed him off then. He holds the ball well but we don't play that kind of game.

Its the type of performance and disappointment you see coming a mile off and its so Leicester. 6 days now to make amends against Newcastle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

Whatever…. I’m pretty happy with my view of the game…. You’re welcome to wallow in self pity if it suits you…. I’m trying to work out where I was guilty of hyperbole by suggesting that two players who had very good games had very good games  :whistle:

Sorry if I ruined your night….

Have you done your homework yet?

ffs...

another game for the non starters to prove a point but none of the took it. Iheanacho, Justin, Perez were particularly poor, no goal threat when Maddison or Tielemans don't start, Praet too defensive. Points dropped which will really show when in a few days when teams catch up.

Barnes outstanding again only positive. A Chelsea and Villa draw along with another christmas pudding vodka and everything will be OK 

Really disappointing result thought we would’ve won that in the first half with the amount of shots on goals we had, nacho never ever looked like scoring the the penalty he looked like a rabbit in the headlights he didn’t look confident at all maybe the lad needs sending out on loan to get some confidence back, but it definitely shows we need a quality striker either January or summer as we haven’t got aVardy replacement in the squad if needed,  but Onto the next game let’s grab all three points and keep on the hunt for a top place also hoping the next few games for the ones below us go our way to keep ahead of them !!

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I was saying it at half time, get tielemans and Vardy on wasnt hindsight just going on with how things were going. I like Rodgers and feel he is great for us but I think that was an opportunity missed to keep things under control 

Why make changes at half time when we were bossing the game ??   We didn’t want to have to bring on YT and JV ..... that was forced upon us by hamza’s yellow and their goal .....

1 minute ago, l444ry said:

Don't get misled by the possession stats and perceived first half dominance. The only shot on target I can recall was Nacho's backpass, I mean penalty.

No one else could hit the target, praet had a very good chance and nacho should have scored with the header that hit his shoulder 

3 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

No glossing over this disaster. Barnes' brilliance saved a few blushes but Rodgers has failed again. Playing a second string against a Palace team completely devoid of confidence gave them the opportunity to grow into a game they would have been totally out of after 30 minutes had we begun with a stronger starting 11. With quality players like Zaha there's always a chance they'll get a goal on the break and then the confidence surges back. We all sensed what was going to happen and sure enough it did. What is most worrying is that a pattern is beginning to emerge. Below par performances against weaker opposition, most notably Norwich and Bournemouth last season, cost us CL football. This season it's Fulham and now Palace. While you could argue that Rodgers could not legislate for Nacho not scoring from the spot and missing another golden opportunity, had Vardy been on at the start we'd have been out of sight and he could have then rested him at halftime. Some rotation is required during a congested fixture schedule, but not wholesale changes. This is not the Carabao Cup. He got away with it last season against an absolutely dreadful West Ham but not this time against an equally dreadful Place. As a result the win against Spurs and the point against United have been undermined and we're now looking at top 6 after the current round of fixtures rather than sitting in second breathing down Liverpool's neck. Given our renaissance under Rodger's since his arrival we should be eulogizing about our current lofty situation but somehow we are all too often let down. Without doubt Rodgers is a great coach but somehow I fear that his arrogance will always get in the way when it matters most.  

4 games in 12 days though. Can you not even see a little bit as to why the changes were made? Considering we played Man U two days ago as well.

Two  bad points dropped.Team was just about all right but only just with one exception. Yes we're second but not for long I should think,  Iheanacho's penalty was very poor but the worst thing I saw about him was for a tall long-legged player he never threatened to get a ball in 50/50 situations after second half break when alone up front purely through lack of effort, whereas Vardy's sheer effort always makes him a threat in those situations. Token challenges, there's no excuse for lack of effort when you're given your chance. Also those stuttering penalties are hopeless if the goalie does n't move. Can't see that fashion lasting much longer.

I'd have given Barnes MOM even without his superb goal. Evans had a good game too I thought and Justin . For a team many thought might be a disaster at least no one had a real stinker although Iheanacho came close, and they should have won. Hodgson's half time talk judging by what happened must have outshone Brendan's and for 20 minutes nothing was coming off .

How do I know so much you must be asking? The answer is I've just managed to save enough for a month's free trial of Amazon Prime. What luxury !! There's no substitute for seeing all 90 minutes despite the result. New Year's resolution to live on baked beans and become a full  prime member. In contrast to much I've read here ,I also thought Kaspers distribution was pretty good ,for this match at least. I'll have to put his failure to stop the goal shot down to just one of those things. Seeing the pre match warm up I'm not coming to first team training, I was worried they'd all be shagged out before the kick off !!  

• Like 2

Mendy didn't do anything wrong, but unfortunately when you have Ndidi waiting in the wings unless you are sensational,you are just going to look ordinary and for me that is how Mendy was, did a job but not someone I want to see there while we have Ndidi waiting. 

Starting 2 defensive midfielders was a step in the wrong direction, it was Palace away not Liverpool. 

What went wrong today was not scoring easy chances in the first half and not being 2-3 nil up at half time. Iheanacho had two gilt edged chances and Praet missed one from just a few yards out. That was with the 7 changes. Being 0-0 buoyed palace and they became much more aggressive in closing us down. If we’d been 2 nil up at halt time then there wouldn’t be any moaning about the team selection. The only conclusion from today’s game is Nacho is not reliable  cover for Vardy. The rotation would’ve been fine but for basic misses from Nacho. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonaldinho said:

The criticism of Rodgers is ridiculous. We played literally two days ago, of course we're going to make lots of changes. Vardy is 34 next month and needs to be managed, Maddison and Fofana have knocks, and Ndidi and Castagne are only just back from long-term lay offs. Tielemans could've started but has played loads of football this season, and if Rodgers had started Albrighton there would be complaints about him anyway. There's your seven changes. 

As for the game itself, we dominated the first half and should've been a couple of goals up. We didn't get going in the second half and gave away a bad goal, but ended the game well. Two points dropped but we could've easily have lost. If you can't win it then don't lose it. 

Now we have five days off and we can be full strength against Newcastle.  

6 minutes ago, Criggers said:

I don’t know how anyone can have a go at Rodgers.

We created more than enough on the first half to win. But poor finishing and final balls cost us. That’s the players not the manager.

If he had played Vardy and he got injured fans would be doing their nut saying he shouldn’t have played twice in two days at his age.

Agree with both of these posts.

It's a squad game and rotation is inevitable this time of the season. It's up to the 'fringe' players to step up in games like this and stake their claim for a regular first team place.

But none of them did.

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

He's trying to give Vardy a rest, we weren't doing bad. He was never going to come on at half time.

I understand the rationale for resting so many players. However, our next game is 6 days away I think we could have gone a little bit stronger. 

I just can’t see the logic of starting Hamza in this game. Personally I would have assessed youri and Madison and started the fittest of the two. It would have made a huge difference and given how passive palace were at the start... we probably would have cruised through. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Frustrating, 7 changes aside the team didnt play that bad (first half was only missing the attacking threat) and how many clean cut chances did palace have?? 2??

Mendy, Amartey, Barnes can all come off satisfied today, I thought they werr excellent.

Perez and Justin were causing problems first half but went quite second half. 

May issue was unfortunately Kelechi who put a stinker (I feel for him as hes scored some heroic goals for us). Playing our our usual shape of one high forward, when he was having an off day needed a change of shape earlier or a swap.

Think it was unwise to risk Vardy. Sitting out 1 is better than 4/5. 

The same can be said of the others carrying knocks, if them sitting out refreshes the squad going forward then its one we have to take on the chin

I'm not disappointed, I'm just angry. If you have to substitute a player like Gray to turn a game around, then I really can't think of anything else. It's just embarrassing that we don't have a viable striker on the bench at all. I'm sure no striker from the Under 23's is worse than Gray and Nacho.

This has nothing to do with a top 6 team. I don't think we'll play any worse teams than Palace.