Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Sidnei Tavares

Whats odd with this, is that if a championship club didnt come calling, youd think he would have gone to Leuven. Especially as they clearly needed a CM as theyve just signed King. 

Or is this guy above the belgian league as well :dunno:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Whats odd with this, is that if a championship club didnt come calling, youd think he would have gone to Leuven. Especially as they clearly needed a CM as theyve just signed King. 

Or is this guy above the belgian league as well :dunno:

The thing is, how many Championship clubs look to loan a player that has only previously played for the U18 team and not the U23 team? We, for whatever reason decided not to pick Tavares in the U23's last season. People can say it's because he wanted first team football and refused to play but then why did he play nearly all the U18 games instead? He was probably more annoyed he wasn't at least in the U23's and being considered closer to the first team than he was about supposedly not getting a loan as Fin says, nobody came in for him so that's not our fault bar the fact we've not got him through the ranks quicker.

Tavares was very quickly training with Rodgers and the 1st team in March 2019, a month in to Brendan's reign. There were pictures of them talking and we know what Rodgers said about him last pre-season so its just bizarre why the club dug their heels in last season and didn't at least move him up to the U23's and tried to work with him on getting the experience to make the step up, either on loan or with us. 

• Like 3

A very curious case. I don't know all the in's and out's but I can offer the following.

I work with the mother of one of the u23 lads. Not going to name which as don't want anything biting them on their arse. But I mentioned young Sidnei to her in pre-season after her son had featured in one game, and she rolled her eyes at me. According to her, Sidnei has always been the favourite of the club staff coming up through the ranks. Given his alleged talent, this isn't that surprising. But one has to feel that if the club have constantly indulged him over the past few years, then they might well have made a rod for their own back with this stand off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Incognito said:

A very curious case. I don't know all the in's and out's but I can offer the following.

I work with the mother of one of the u23 lads. Not going to name which as don't want anything biting them on their arse. But I mentioned young Sidnei to her in pre-season after her son had featured in one game, and she rolled her eyes at me. According to her, Sidnei has always been the favourite of the club staff coming up through the ranks. Given his alleged talent, this isn't that surprising. But one has to feel that if the club have constantly indulged him over the past few years, then they might well have made a rod for their own back with this stand off.

Has had contract offers.

Has been 'advised' to reject them.

That's it. Good or bad advice; you decide and time will tell.

• Like 1

I’m very surprised, but then again maybe not for obvious reasons, that some of you are questioning the character of a 19 year old who you don’t know and wants to play first team football. Saying things like, ‘this isn’t the sort of player we want at our club’ 

As a highly rated prospect, maybe he’s looking at his age mates, the likes of Jason Sancho, Yunus Musah at Valencia, Noni Madurese at PSV, even Luke Thomas here and thinking he’d rather push for a move to really develop his career. It can’t be very promising for a youngster in our youth team, when you’ve got 22/23 year olds only recently getting loan moves to League 1.

You can’t expect youth players to sit in the U’23s if they have the belief and ability to be playing first team football either here or abroad.

Best of luck to him if he doesn’t get a chance here

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's a weird one because if he is as good as people are saying how come we haven't given him a loan move already, there's loads of clubs where he could get good experience, improve and raise his profile.

Prior to this season he was being kept in the U18's and although scouts do go and watch that level it's probably been enough to put off Championship clubs. As Fin has said, he's not been interested in going to a lower level. He thinks he should be playing for us or at least Championship level. 

6 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's a weird one because if he is as good as people are saying how come we haven't given him a loan move already, there's loads of clubs where he could get good experience, improve and raise his profile.

Dewsbury Hall only get his first loan last season at 21 and he’s meant to be the next big thing at this club, youngsters are coming into the scene earlier than ever so couldn’t blaming him for wanting to leave.

Calvin Bassey left for rangers who are fighting for a title and playing European football and he’s received minutes this season. I think youth players are ready for a ‘step down’ to receive first team minutes

• Like 1

Just now, LCFCbwoi said:

Dewsbury Hall only get his first loan last season at 21 and he’s meant to be the next big thing at this club, youngsters are coming into the scene earlier than ever so couldn’t blaming him for wanting to leave.

Calvin Bassey left for rangers who are fighting for a title and playing European football and he’s received minutes this season. I think youth players are ready for a ‘step down’ to receive first team minutes

This is why we should get them on loan earlier so that they can scratch that itch of first team football. Even if it's for half a season then back with us for further development.

We also have a load of crappy players in the u23's who are never going to make it with us who stick around for far too long which can't be good for morale.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

This is why we should get them on loan earlier so that they can scratch that itch of first team football. Even if it's for half a season then back with us for further development.

We also have a load of crappy players in the u23's who are never going to make it with us who stick around for far too long which can't be good for morale.

Same has happened at big clubs up and down the country tho, Arsenal are going to struggle to keep Flo Bolagun unless they can give him first team minutes because youth players now know there’s more to football than just this country. A lot of English youth players are getting starts for very decent European teams 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LCFCbwoi said:

Same has happened at big clubs up and down the country tho, Arsenal are going to struggle to keep Flo Bolagun unless they can give him first team minutes because youth players now know there’s more to football than just this country. A lot of English youth players are getting starts for very decent European teams 

Arsenal were ready to sell him last summer but teams baulked at the £8m they wanted for him. I suggested he would prove to be quality but that's a fairly hefty fee for a player that had only ever played academy football. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Arsenal were ready to sell him last summer but teams baulked at the £8m they wanted for him. I suggested he would prove to be quality but that's a fairly hefty fee for a player that had only ever played academy football. 

I agree, I would love for us to go in for him though as I think he could be real quality, but nonetheless, there’s nothing better than seeing youth players succeed at your club which is why it can be so frustrating with a situation like Balogun or Tavares. 

That being said, how many ‘next big things’ who’ve gone on to achieve nothing has their been in the last ten years. Maybe not many at Leicester but I could name at least 10 from Arsenal 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

but then why did he play nearly all the U18 games instead?

What were his performances like for the U18s? I know his position probably isn't to be judged upon goals, but any numbers on assists.... was he getting motm regularly? 

26 minutes ago, LCFCbwoi said:

Do you think Calvin Bassey deserves to be in our first team? Is he better than what we've got now?

• Like 1

If issues like Gyamfi, Bassey and Tavares keep happening I think the question needs to be raised about if the pathway from U18 to First team football is right. 

Personally I’m of the opinion that we should sack off the U23 team and come out of the U23 Premier League and move to a “B team model” similar to Brentford. 

Keep the academy up to U18 and then at that point the focus shifts to getting the lads out playing league football. More and more it’s becoming obvious that U23 football isn’t fit for purpose. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Collymore said:

What were his performances like for the U18s? I know his position probably isn't to be judged upon goals, but any numbers on assists.... was he getting motm regularly? 

I went to a fair few games with my lad before the pandemic to try and get him interested in football. He was way too good for that level, as was Terell Pennant. Tavares just sat in front of the back 4 like a Pirlo/Pogba hybrid and was immense.  I first watched him in one the FA Youth Cup games in 2018/19 where he was all over the place and looked like a man playing against the kids. He should have been in the U23's when he was 16/17 and spent the last year or two then on loan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/11670/12181408/folarin-balogun-arsenal-striker-likely-to-leave-club-for-free-in-summer

interesting reading Arteta’s comments here, wonder if Brendan would say something similar re Tav if the question was asked. 

I've asked Ian Stringer to raise it with Brendan at the next press conference/interview. Go on Ian, you know you want to! 🤪🤪🤪

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Do you think Calvin Bassey deserves to be in our first team? Is he better than what we've got now?

No I don’t? But that’s not my point is it?

My point is, you can’t expect youth players to stay at Leicester and play for U’23s or get a loan move once they turn 21 if they feel they’re good enough to get first team minutes elsewhere. If that was the case, Sancho wouldn’t be where he is now and a host of other players wouldn’t of seen the progression in their career in the hope that one day they might finally get a chance at their parent club.

2 hours ago, LCFCbwoi said:

...not sure about that statement, maybe you meant "step up" unless I have missed something!!!

This is perhaps the catalyst we need to re-structure the academy and although it appears to be "the tail wagging the dog" we desperately need to see where the academy players are coming from in order to align the club with their ambition. Looking to aggressively get loan agreements for players would be a start and looking to fast-track  outstanding talent instead of seeking to expose them to a system that only serves to hold them back.

Edited by sacreblueits442

20 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If Tavares is good enough then he’ll make it here, if he isn’t then he’ll go, time will tell. 

And if the lad is seriously in line to be involved in the first team but rejects a contract offer then it’ll be his downfall as we’ve proven we’re one of the best places for developing young talent, especially with Rodgers in charge. 

That's a bit naive.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 14:16, mozartfox said:

Why can't Barcelona plot a move for Slimani instead and leave Sid here?  Slimani's Agent is total pants.

Given that he somehow managed to get us smash our transfer record to sign him, I'd say he's easily the best agent in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure about that statement, maybe you meant "step up" unless I have missed something!!!

This is perhaps the catalyst we need to re-structure the academy and although it appears to be "the tail wagging the dog" we desperately need to see where the academy players are coming from in order to align the club with their ambition. Looking to aggressively get loan agreements for players would be a start and looking to fast-track  outstanding talent instead of seeking to expose them to a system that only serves to hold them back.

Sorry, I meant to step down in terms of the current position fans perceive Leicesters first team to be in, in comparison to a Rangers or other teams from top flight divisions in countries such as Holland, Russia, Portugal etc. 

Calvin moving to Rangers first team is definitely a step up, which confuses me as to why people think Tavares would just be happy staying in Leicesters youth set up when he’ll probably have options across Europe to be involved with first teams

• Like 2