Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Christan Eriksen

13 hours ago, shen said:

It's odd with Eriksen. The season before he left Spurs, there was serious interest from Real Madrid. He played in a CL final and then suffered like much of the squad. The move to Inter looked, on paper, to be an excellent one, but he's hardly been given a chance by Conte.
There is no doubt that should he rediscover some form, he would be a superb addition. I would expect the environment at Leicester to be just right for him as well and Rodgers would be able to coach him into a better player.
If the reported wage is correct, that's an obscene amount of money - but maybe not that bad for half a season...? I can easily picture him covering for Maddison, Praet or Tielemans, but maybe he'd look for a more permanent solution rather than a loan.

It's a lot of money for a mere 'cover' player though isn't it. As he's not been playing, he'd also need to get back up to speed and adapt to Rodgers style of play, do we just dump Maddison to accommodate a bit part cover player? How many games would he realistically play?

If we need such an expensive 'cover' player for around £300,000 a week or whatever it is, I would suggest cover for Vardy would be more pressing for whom we realistically have none at all of any use at the moment. His hip isn't going to get any better this season and even if we were to write the FA Cup off, we've still got the Europa League which is valuable as another potential route into the Champions League. We'll need goals. Eriksen is simply nowhere near worth the money for the limited 'just in case' potential impact he'd make. It's not unambitious, on the contrary, we've moved up. Conte isn't daft, there's a reason he's not playing. It's about what Eriksen is now as a player and not what he has been in the past. He wasn't pulling up any trees at Spurs before he left was he and if it's suggested that it was because he wasn't very 'happy' then that's another reason for not signing him.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

Is he the right signing? Who knows.. but I trust BR and our back room to make the right decision.

But if Tielmens gets injured then there is no one that can do his job now Praet is out and I think our season would go south very quickly so we need another option and a half season loan makes the most sense who ever they choose.

Edited by les-tah

It's a game of chicken isn't it? 

If it gets to the end of the window and their options are pay him 300k a week to sit on the bench or loan him out, potentially increase his market value if he recovers form and also recoup say 50% of his wages, they'll blink. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It's a lot of money for a mere 'cover' player though isn't it. As he's not been playing, he'd also need to get back up to speed and adapt to Rodgers style of play, do we just dump Maddison to accommodate a bit part cover player? How many games would he realistically play?

If we need such an expensive 'cover' player for around £300,000 a week or whatever it is, I would suggest cover for Vardy would be more pressing for whom we realistically have none at all of any use at the moment. His hip isn't going to get any better this season and even if we were to write the FA Cup off, we've still got the Europa League which is valuable as another potential route into the Champions League. We'll need goals. Eriksen is simply nowhere near worth the money for the limited just potential impact he'd make. It's not unambitious, on the contrary, we've moved up. Conte is daft, there's a reason he's not playing. It's about what Eriksen is now as a player and not what he has been in the past. He wasn't pulling up any trees at Spurs before he left was he and if it's suggested that it was because he wasn't very 'happy' then that's another reason for not signing him.

It's not that much money in the grand scheme of things to cover his wages for half a season, if it means we have a quality option to push for PL and EL then this could be wise. How many he would play is obviously down to his form and injuries to other players.
I wouldn't worry too much about his fitness. He just got 120 minutes under his belt yesterday and he is a naturally super fit player. Just look at his injury record and minutes played throughout his career. Don't get me wrong, it would obviously be a gamble, but I don't think it looks that silly just because he's got big wages.

Conte isn't daft, no, but Eriksen doesn't fit into his way of playing. He wants a deep-lying playmaker and two box-to-box midfielders, where Eriksen really doesn't have the tackling skills to be a B2B. Allegedly he played in the regista role yesterday, but I've only read this.

He left Spurs because his contract was up and he wanted a new challenge (read: I want to win trophies) and probably because again he didn't really fit into Mourinho's style as well as Pocchettino's.

Unless we move for Edouard (possible), then I'd hold off until the summer for a Vardy backup. Iheanacho and Perez are not terrible, but I agree that we need better striking options.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shen said:

It's not that much money in the grand scheme of things to cover his wages for half a season, if it means we have a quality option to push for PL and EL then this could be wise. How many he would play is obviously down to his form and injuries to other players.
I wouldn't worry too much about his fitness. He just got 120 minutes under his belt yesterday and he is a naturally super fit player. Just look at his injury record and minutes played throughout his career. Don't get me wrong, it would obviously be a gamble, but I don't think it looks that silly just because he's got big wages.

Conte isn't daft, no, but Eriksen doesn't fit into his way of playing. He wants a deep-lying playmaker and two box-to-box midfielders, where Eriksen really doesn't have the tackling skills to be a B2B. Allegedly he played in the regista role yesterday, but I've only read this.

He left Spurs because his contract was up and he wanted a new challenge (read: I want to win trophies) and probably because again he didn't really fit into Mourinho's style as well as Pocchettino's.

Unless we move for Edouard (possible), then I'd hold off until the summer for a Vardy backup. Iheanacho and Perez are not terrible, but I agree that we need better striking options.

Agreed. How's his form for Denmark Shen?

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Agreed. How's his form for Denmark Shen?

OK to Good. He obviously score many important goals during the Nations League, but most of those were penalties.
With Hjulmand taking over the reigns, there has been a lot of rotation of the squad and a change in style somewhat, so Eriksen's role might switch as well. Under Hareide he was really playing as a shadow striker - with great success as well.

• Thanks 1

Can't deny his quality and certainly an upgrade on the options we have from the bench.

Big stumbling block would be the wages though and wouldn't really make sense to make him the highest paid player at the club. I imagine the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea would offer those figures.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Could really upset the apple cart, could give our quality players the idea they deserve to be on 300k a week and then we're really up the chute. 

If we paid £5m in transfer and now wages it would amount to about the same. Don't see what difference the particulars in a loan deal would make, so I don't see this being an issue. If anything, the squad will already know we can 'easily cope' with surplus highly-paid players like Slimani, Silva, Gray, Morgan etc.

27 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Could really upset the apple cart, could give our quality players the idea they deserve to be on 300k a week and then we're really up the chute. 

If it was a full transfer then yes I agree on the wage front. But not a loan. The players would surely understand the situation of a loan. It’s not really that big of numbers for the club to try secure a trophy or top 6.. Let’s say for the rest of the season it would be about 6 million to make sure we have adequate cover in the Tielemens role. It would be a no brainier if he is the correct personality and can do the hard work Rogers needs.

Edited by les-tah

44 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I would agree if we were to commit to that long term with him as our player, but if you view it in terms of a £4-5 million outlay to give us the best chance possible to be competing at the top of the PL, Europa and the FA cup then I think the players would understand its a necessary investment. How much extra prize money do you get for playing in Champions League and for being extra places higher in the league at the end of the season? Providing he is able to contribute (which is the question here, personally I think he would) that fee would easily pay for itself. 

• Like 1

The players would welcome someone of his quality he could be the difference between 5th and 4th place or better, if Brendan thinks he is worth it then by all means bring him in. He’s an experienced player that has played at the top end of the game, and if we offload Hamza and bring him in Then we will have a very strong central midfield department.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

It may do, particularly when they know that he's not worth half that now. Just because someone is mug enough to pay a wage doesn't mean the recipient is worth it and only a mug knowing that would pay the full whack in loan fees just as cover. I think it will go up to deadline day and reasonable offers will be made. Anythings better than nothing for Inter.

Edited by volpeazzurro

Its pretty obvious we’re not going to pay 300k a week wages for him to come here so why are you all getting your knickers in a twist? Percy clearly said the wages are a stumbling block, we aren’t going to pay him 300k a week to come and be a potential squad player til the end of the season. If he comes, it’ll be on discounted wages and therefore be a quality signing. Calm down 

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Its pretty obvious we’re not going to pay 300k a week wages for him to come here so why are you all getting your knickers in a twist? Percy clearly said the wages are a stumbling block, we aren’t going to pay him 300k a week to come and be a potential squad player til the end of the season. If he comes, it’ll be on discounted wages and therefore be a quality signing. Calm down 

SeanfromEnderby suggests otherwise.

I believe in him.

• Haha 1