Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Christan Eriksen

We have to learn how to think like a big club if we're going to be a perennial contender.  Most of the objections to Eriksen amount to "he's too big for us".  If this were really feasible I'd love us to be all over it.

17 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

We have to learn how to think like a big club if we're going to be a perennial contender.  Most of the objections to Eriksen amount to "he's too big for us".  If this were really feasible I'd love us to be all over it.

I'm all out for getting big names but this has Gareth Bale sort of deal all over it.

We LCFC need to be consistent at the top for a few seasons for this to happen. Or we will end up in financial trouble.

We are not after him anyway I think its a load of bollucks 

36 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

I'm all out for getting big names but this has Gareth Bale sort of deal all over it.

We LCFC need to be consistent at the top for a few seasons for this to happen. Or we will end up in financial trouble.

We are not after him anyway I think its a load of bollucks 

I agree it’s probably a load of bollocks.  But that so many fans are against the idea on its merits is symptomatic of a lack of ambition IMO.  Obviously we have to be smart, more Dortmund or Atalanta than Barcelona or Man City.  But we need Champions League football desperately to level up as a club.  We can’t afford to blow it again, and that means this is one of those times you have to be bold.

It's odd with Eriksen. The season before he left Spurs, there was serious interest from Real Madrid. He played in a CL final and then suffered like much of the squad. The move to Inter looked, on paper, to be an excellent one, but he's hardly been given a chance by Conte.
There is no doubt that should he rediscover some form, he would be a superb addition. I would expect the environment at Leicester to be just right for him as well and Rodgers would be able to coach him into a better player.
If the reported wage is correct, that's an obscene amount of money - but maybe not that bad for half a season...? I can easily picture him covering for Maddison, Praet or Tielemans, but maybe he'd look for a more permanent solution rather than a loan.

Taking an off-form player in on loan is always a risky move. Especially when it is to the tune of £300,000 a week. Numbers we cannot even comprehend at our club. Triple what some of our top players make. All things considered, even though it looks like we have baulked at his wage demands anyway, it would have been a no from me.

3 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Obviously it's all about opinions but I'd rather we thought like a smart club than a big club, and thinking like a smart club has gone pretty well for us. A 'big club' probably wouldn't have signed James Justin; a 'big club' would have been looking at experienced internationals when we signed Wesley Fofana.

People will laugh but I don't think Eriksen is good enough for us anymore. Don't see how he fits into our team. You look at that incredible press which suffocated Chelsea, every single player worked his bollocks off for 90 minutes in that game, Eriksen doesn't give you that. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't consider breaking our wage structure but not for Eriksen imho. Also, I'm not sure signing a Spurs outcast is thinking like a big club. Eriksen is a 'West Ham signing' for me.

If I could, I would give this post kudos twice over. Everything you said was smart, reasoned and right. Thank you. 

Eriksen IS a West Ham-type signing. Decent player, but not for us. 

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but this would literally be the perfect signing. With Praet out, we have so little depth in midfield. Eriksen is such a flexible player, and when in form was one of the best in the league. If Rodgers can get even half of his old performances out of him he will be a successful signing.

Edit: Interesting to see people suggesting Eriksen wouldn't fit in our system because he wouldn't press. Does nobody remember Pochettino's Spurs pre-2019? The man has a very high workrate and good press, its his tackling that is a little subpar

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Taking an off-form player in on loan is always a risky move. Especially when it is to the tune of £300,000 a week. Numbers we cannot even comprehend at our club. Triple what some of our top players make. All things considered, even though it looks like we have baulked at his wage demands anyway, it would have been a no from me.

I remember signing Mark Blake for our record transfer fee of £300,000, it was only about 25 years a go. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Obviously it's all about opinions but I'd rather we thought like a smart club than a big club, and thinking like a smart club has gone pretty well for us. A 'big club' probably wouldn't have signed James Justin; a 'big club' would have been looking at experienced internationals when we signed Wesley Fofana.

People will laugh but I don't think Eriksen is good enough for us anymore. Don't see how he fits into our team. You look at that incredible press which suffocated Chelsea, every single player worked his bollocks off for 90 minutes in that game, Eriksen doesn't give you that. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't consider breaking our wage structure but not for Eriksen imho. Also, I'm not sure signing a Spurs outcast is thinking like a big club. Eriksen is a 'West Ham signing' for me.

A Spurs outcast? He wanted to leave them, not them wanting rid of him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but this would literally be the perfect signing. With Praet out, we have so little depth in midfield. Eriksen is such a flexible player, and when in form was one of the best in the league. If Rodgers can get even half of his old performances out of him he will be a successful signing.

Edit: Interesting to see people suggesting Eriksen wouldn't fit in our system because he wouldn't press. Does nobody remember Pochettino's Spurs pre-2019? The man has a very high workrate and good press, its his tackling that is a little subpar

And he tended to play almost every game. Rarely rotated out. Perhaps that has caught up with him this past year and his form has dropped off ??

7 hours ago, Bezzanator89 said:

When have you seen a top club loan out a player in form? That doesn't happen. As we are clearly not going to buy Eriksen, it's a question of paying about £5m for a quality backup/first team option with proven quality. 

We paid about the same for Inler taking his fee into account. Don't think I need to remind you what happened during his time here.