Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

When (if ever) can we say we are in the title race?

We havent been out of the top 5 for over a year, weve been top three more than we havent this season. 

Are we in the title race or are we just going to accept the Big 4 concept and just accept we arent good enough?

Other sides dropping stupid points just like us... other teams with injury issues just like us... why cant we do it?

• Like 3

Win the next 3 - Leeds, Fulham and Wolves (very possible) and we will be right in the race.

If we are sitting on 48 points after 23 games, we are within striking distance with just 15 games to go, you can’t say we’re not a contender- that’s not to say we’ll win it, but going into the final stages we are a contender.

After a trip to Turf Moore Man City play Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool and could drop some points there. 

We could go into the last 15 games with everything in our hands.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

We havent been out of the top 5 for over a year, weve been top three more than we havent this season. 

Are we in the title race or are we just going to accept the Big 4 concept and just accept we arent good enough?

Other sides dropping stupid points just like us... other teams with injury issues just like us... why cant we do it?

8 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

@ozleicester Yeah, I love this as well and given too much thought, it's utterly daunting. 

You can also add that, this season, we've topped the league twice, I think that's right?

We're still such a modest club, that we just don't like admitting it.

Add into that, in situations like this, our mantra of 'one game at a time', everybody knows that. 

Reality is, at present i.e right now..we are in the title race.

An iffy loss/draw to Leeds today and we're not. (see above mantra)

Personally, I believe this is a massive reason why the team spirit is so strong at the moment, there's a genuine buzz around the club because everyone can see the potential of not just this season, but the next few years. 

I do think though, the only way Man City don't take the title this season, is because of their Champions League ambitions, I just hope that costs them between 4-6 points.

Then again, same can be said of us and the Europa League :blink:.

One game at a time but I believe we are in the title race.

There is also the possibility that Man City and other title challengers could be adversely affected by the South American travel/quarantine restrictions which have recently been announced. 

• Like 1

I'd say it's not worth thinking about else you'll end up disappointed. I'd be more than happy with top 6 again this season as qualifying two season's running shows we're genuinely progressing and it's no fluke. Not to say we aren't capable of pushing all the way this season for the title but I'd only genuinely believe it's possible if we're close with about 5 games to go.

• Like 1

I've not been thinking about the title in the slightest. 

The way I look at it is we need to cling on to the teams at the top for as long as possible and wait for a gap to appear between mid table and the top 5/6 then we can see where we are and evaluate what we might be able to do. Right now, it's just too close to think about where we will finish. 

• Like 2

We keep winning games then why not! I believe we are in a title race imo, no standout teams this year, Manchester City are the flavor of the month because of their unbeaten run. But they have some tough games coming up where they could drop points.

Even without Vardy and Ndidi I back us to beat Leeds, Fulham and Wolves. 

Anyway one game at a time and see what happens.

The Big 6 will not allow this to happen. Some form of vote, VAR and brown envelopes to EPL game officials will prevent such an event.   We must be realistic.

• Haha 2

I really can’t see anyone catching Man City. I would be delighted if we finished 3rd. Time will tell but I still can’t forget our collapse last season. Winning 2 of our last 9 games. Rodgers can say the players have learnt from this but we will see. I do think we can be fragile when the pressure is on us. I think we’ll finish 5th again. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I always thing about the collapse last year. I’d be nervous with 5 games left. This team is more fragile than the 15/16 team. 

I'd agree with that, but I think this team is stronger than a lot of people think. I think that last season's collapse has added a bit more steel and determination this year. Yeah, our form was a little erratic earlier this season, but we've pulled some great results out of the bag. Last season, I think we would've panicked and abandoned our philosophy against Everton after struggling to break them down and we'd have lost it 2-0 or 3-0.

I think last year coupled with being up there again for a second season has given these players a bit more belief. It's a bit like when our collapse in 12/13 led to the Championship title win in 13/14. Whether that means we're good enough to win the league this season is a different matter, but we're definitely in the race for now.