Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

SK Slavia Prague (A) - Pre Match Thread.

15 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Imagine having a cracking day at Wembley (or watching on TV) as Vardy rounds Ederson to complete his hat trick and make it 5 - 0. Kasper walks up the steps and lifts the oldest trophy on football high above his head and we all go nuts.

Flash forwards 2 weeks, your in the final round of the pub quiz, you’ve been neck and neck with Barry and Marge, who always win the drinks in the end. Here’s your chance the final tie breaking question:

Who won the 2021 FA Cup and you’re just sat

there, crap I haven’t got the foggiest.

It’s all over Marge knows, she knows all of the winners of every FA Cup since the competition began and it’s all over, the whole pub sigh as Boring Barry pops forward to collect his jug of Carling black label.

F***ing Boring Barry...I hate that f****r.

I do like the idea of Kasper and/or Wes lifting the trophy!! 

Okay, I'd remember that for 15 days :D

I so want as many Leicester fans as possible to enjoy the FA Cup, I really do. 

Once they evolve the competition, I'll be right behind it again, I'm sure.

Edited by Danny Clender
  • Haha 1

On 13/02/2021 at 17:28, StanSP said:

Kasper

VDC* - Amartey - Soyuncu - Thomas

Ndidi - Hamza

Maddison

Under - Iheanacho - Barnes

I don't think it will happen by any stretch but it's just preference, here. Huge game at Villa on the Sunday so I'd happily rest Ricardo, Evans (if fit), Tielemans and Vardy - or at least not get them playing a full 90.

Think conditions will be tough so if we come away from Prague with a draw then I'll be satisfied; a bonus if we get an away goal or 2. I'm confident we can play well against them at home and control the game/get the win there but I'd love us to go far in the competition. Having said that, managing the players in an ever-thinning squad is so vital. 

Hopefully Castagne is back for Villa and injury-free.

*If VDC can't play then Ricardo will have to, I guess.

This team but Albrighton and Ricardo instead of VDC and Under.

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

I am confused, why are people not including Wilfred Ndidi & Jamie Vardy for their preferred XI in a European knockout game?

I know, same! Biggest game of the season by far. The cushion of the second leg does help but it's a dangerous mindset to have. 

I'd be going as strong as possible. 

On 13/02/2021 at 16:29, Post Horn Galloper said:

I've always had a soft spot for Slavia and when passing through Prague by way of work in 1997 l went to see their ground (they have now relocated, l think). In the clubhouse a few old guys were having lunch. I remember that on the wall there was a framed programme of a game in the very early 1900s between Slavia and Oxford University (this was a time when teams like Oxford went on tour spreading the game throughout Europe). There was a real feeling of a club whose great years were in the interwar period when the best football in the World was played in Mittel Europa and teams from Czechoslovakia, Australia, Hungary and Switzerland  competed for the Microsoft Cup which (often seen as the forerunner of the European Cup). In short, a special club.

Good history but this bit looks suss. lol

I think you can trace a line to the post-war Hungarian side which famously tonked England with a more modern brand of football. I'm sure I remember reading that they actually had lighter boots than England, presumably they weren't just post-war austerity boots!

Baring in mind we obliterated Braga at home 4 nil and drew 3-3 away with a heavily rotated squad without Ndidi, Soyuncu or Ricardo shows that although these lot are no mugs we can approach this game with the preparation and confidence that we can get a result away and then follow it up at our gaff.

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Ndidi

Ünder

Tielemans

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

• Like 4

4 full days rest prior to this game. Only 2 after it. Full strength for Prague. Rotate for Villa, and accept we may just struggle on Sunday. Then we can go full strength against Prague at home knowing we then play Arsenal, who will have played on Thursday like us.

Rest Jonny, Youri, Ricky P and JV against Villa

• Like 2

At least one away goal will be massive in this. We have the quality to beat these home and away, they are obviously a decent team who know where the back of the net is though as shown by their record this season. I think I'd be more than happy for us to put in a scrappy performance and rest a few, as long as we're going 90% full strength in the next 2 games.

I'm glad I'm not Brendan atm haha. The plus of having such a young squad is that the majorit should be more than comfortable playing this schedule. I suppose if the training sessions are more tactical and for recovery, then there's nothing to stop us being able to play a full strength team for each game. Especially as we play the game at a walking pace for the majority the game. It's not enjoyable to watch but I am coming to understand it's probably a good way of conserving energy when playing with a small squad in a hectic fixture list.

• Like 1

I think Ricardo, Barnes, Kasper and Evans were probably rested against Brighton with the intention of playing in this one. Plan might have changed with Evans, after his knock. I don't really want Slavia to come here and have something to protect, not our strength to break them down. Get a good result there and I back us to finish the job with maybe a couple of changes in the home game. 

I reckon we'll go strong. Always a risk but I'd be fuming if went there with a weaker side and got turned over 3-0. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think Ricardo, Barnes, Kasper and Evans were probably rested against Brighton with the intention of playing in this one. Plan might have changed with Evans, after his knock. I don't really want Slavia to come here and have something to protect, not our strength to break them down. Get a good result there and I back us to finish the job with maybe a couple of changes in the home game. 

I reckon we'll go strong. Always a risk but I'd be fuming if went there with a weaker side and got turned over 3-0. 

Did Rodgers make any reference to Evans injury? I think he just ran it off didn't he? 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Did Rodgers make any reference to Evans injury? I think he just ran it off didn't he? 

Yeah not seen it mentioned, looked to me like it was his back, and he's had trouble before with it hasn't he? Seemed to get better as the second half progressed, but it's whether it seized up once the game finished.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

I am confused, why are people not including Wilfred Ndidi & Jamie Vardy for their preferred XI in a European knockout game?

Erm maybe because they've only just come back from injury, it's not a knockout game there's 2 legs, and we have extremely tough and important games coming every week and cannot play the same 11 each game. Simples. 

Edited by FoxyJim1987

Some people think the new UEFA Europa Conference League has started this year.

BR will not take them lightly.  They are a very good side and have a lot of respect in my part of the World. They have outgrown their domestic League.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I assumed it was his toe nail as he ripped it off in the previous match . So the dressing probably came loose and was easily sorted at half time

• Like 1