Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Slavia Prague (H) - 8pm - Thursday 25th Feb - BT Sport / ESPN - Pre Match Thread

1 minute ago, gw_leics772 said:

That's where we need someone like marcin in the squad. Sounds like we could be needing hamza a bit more.

Couldn't Wes do the job?  Cement his place as an ABSOLUTE legend

Edited by filthyfox

3 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Couldn't Wes do the job?  Cement his place as an ABSOLUTE legend

Even though you were replying to my comment, my first thought was big wes up front in a steve walsh (matt elliott) type role.

Back to the spirit of 94 play off final.

I'm all on on that bad boy. Come on big wes. I do miss a massive **** off centre half smashing the goals in up front!

Absolutely can not move Tielemans from the role he does, he is what makes us tick. The biggest mistake Klopp made at Liverpool was moving Henderson to CB as cover, not only did he lose his CB he also lost his midfield who controls the game - let’s not make the same mistake.

We have lots of injuries at the minutes Justin, Maddison, Perez, Fofana, Praet who would all normally get game time every week.

Our strength lies in the depth we have in our squad, currently 5 players out with the likes of Morgan also Out and a couple just coming back from injury- we can still be competitive in big games.

For Thursday 

Kasper

Castagne

Evans

Soyuncu

Thomas 

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton/Tavares/Under/Ricardo - with Albrighton out wide.

Ricardo

Vardy

Barnes

We still have lots of options, but let’s keep those who make us tick in their correct positions and not weaken another area.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Absolutely can not move Tielemans from the role he does, he is what makes us tick. The biggest mistake Klopp made at Liverpool was moving Henderson to CB as cover, not only did he lose his CB he also lost his midfield who controls the game - let’s not make the same mistake.

We have lots of injuries at the minutes Justin, Maddison, Perez, Fofana, Praet who would all normally get game time every week.

Our strength lies in the depth we have in our squad, currently 5 players out with the likes of Morgan also Out and a couple just coming back from injury- we can still be competitive in big games.

For Thursday 

Kasper

Castagne

Evans

Soyuncu

Thomas 

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton/Tavares/Under/Ricardo - with Albrighton out wide.

Ricardo

Vardy

Barnes

We still have lots of options, but let’s keep those who make us tick in their correct positions and not weaken another area.

It's a subtle change with Tielemans needed. He will need to join in more attacks which can be achieved, rather than him pushing up like he used to and receiving the ball in the opposition half constantly. Tavares would allow him to do this, they could alternate in pushing up.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a subtle change with Tielemans needed. He will need to join in more attacks which can be achieved, rather than him pushing up like he used to and receiving the ball in the opposition half constantly. Tavares would allow him to do this, they could alternate in pushing up.

Working under the assumption we're resigned to Tavares leaving, the only reason Rodgers would ever pick him is desperation, if he was convinced that there was no other alternative.

History tells us he has enough confidence (regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong) in our existing senior squad members that he's not likely to call on him. Or Under, for that matter.

I'd be surprised if it's not Mendy in for Madders with Tielemans pushing up and Albrighton on the right, however unimaginative we think that'll make the team. He'll have faith that Barnes and Vardy will be attacking enough between them if we keep a clean sheet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Working under the assumption we're resigned to Tavares leaving, the only reason Rodgers would ever pick him is desperation, if he was convinced that there was no other alternative.

History tells us he has enough confidence (regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong) in our existing senior squad members that he's not likely to call on him. Or Under, for that matter.

I'd be surprised if it's not Mendy in for Madders with Tielemans pushing up and Albrighton on the right, however unimaginative we think that'll make the team. He'll have faith that Barnes and Vardy will be attacking enough between them if we keep a clean sheet.

I don't think it's as cut and dry with Tavares leaving, if it was there's no way he'd be training with the 1st team and being named on the bench in the cup over Leshabela and on the bench in the EL. 

From what I gather there's one last push to try and get him tied down on a new deal and he is close to being involved if the opportunity arises. As with all academy players under Rodgers, he will only give them their debut when there's been a decimation of players in the position they play in.i think that's about where we're now at with creative midfielders.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think it's as cut and dry with Tavares leaving, if it was there's no way he'd be training with the 1st team and being named on the bench in the cup over Leshabela and on the bench in the EL. 

Is it not just pragmatism? If Tavares is as good as he's supposed to be, he probably just thinks we don't have much choice but to have him there. 

I'd personally be surprised if Rodgers thinks Leshabela is anywhere near ready for a Europa League knock out game. 

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Is it not just pragmatism? If Tavares is as good as he's supposed to be, he probably just thinks we don't have much choice but to have him there. 

I'd personally be surprised if Rodgers thinks Leshabela is anywhere near ready for a Europa League knock out game. 

I'd be equally as surprised if Rodgers thinks we can get away with playing 2 defensive midfielders, I think he'll get a chance soon enough and will sign a new deal.

Just now, Solihullfox said:

Tielemans is the reason we can transition the ball from relatively deep through to final third quickly.

Move him forward and we are relying on Wilf and Mendy/Hamza or do that job and they simply don’t do that.

The result is slow sideways passages of play involving Evans, Cags, WIlf, Mendy which allows the opposition to get every man behind the ball as we laboriously pass our back line, back and forth.

The result is that we have a slow transition that provides the opposition to press hard which none of the aforementioned players deal well with and leads to an eventual aimless long hoof forward, a pass back to Kasper which is then hoofed forward or sliced in to touch or a mistake in possession from us that leads to a chance for the opposition/drop in confidence/goal

The slow builds up also reduces the space afforded to the wing combinations of RIcardo/Castange and Thomas/Barnes down the right and the left meaning they have little possession where they want it...in front of them, in space and running at the opposition defence at pace.

The last effect is that the space Vardy wants to utilise is squeezed making him largely useless.

Sorry for banging on but Youri should stay in the position he plays and the system or players around him need to be tweaked

I agree but who's he getting the ball in to without Maddison?

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I agree but who's he getting the ball in to without Maddison?

To be honest it probably is Ünder considering the options we have but I still feel we have more chance doing that than moving Youri from where he has been brilliant for most of the season.

The only other option is to bring Barnes in behind Vardy and play either Albrighton or Cengiz wide

5 minutes ago, Solihullfox said:

Tielemans is the reason we can transition the ball from relatively deep through to final third quickly.

Move him forward and we are relying on Wilf and Mendy/Hamza or do that job and they simply don’t do that.

The result is slow sideways passages of play involving Evans, Cags, WIlf, Mendy which allows the opposition to get every man behind the ball as we laboriously pass our back line, back and forth.

The result is that we have a slow transition that provides the opposition to press hard which none of the aforementioned players deal well with and leads to an eventual aimless long hoof forward, a pass back to Kasper which is then hoofed forward or sliced in to touch or a mistake in possession from us that leads to a chance for the opposition/drop in confidence/goal

The slow builds up also reduces the space afforded to the wing combinations of RIcardo/Castange and Thomas/Barnes down the right and the left meaning they have little possession where they want it...in front of them, in space and running at the opposition defence at pace.

The last effect is that the space Vardy wants to utilise is squeezed making him largely useless.

Sorry for banging on but Youri should stay in the position he plays and the system or players around him need to be tweaked

Enjoyed that post

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be equally as surprised if Rodgers thinks we can get away with playing 2 defensive midfielders, I think he'll get a chance soon enough and will sign a new deal.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised. We have previous. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Solihullfox said:

To be honest it probably is Ünder considering the options we have but I still feel we have more chance doing that than moving Youri from where he has been brilliant for most of the season.

The only other option is to bring Barnes in behind Vardy and play either Albrighton or Cengiz wide

This seems the most logical option. It is a position Barnes has played before, and whilst we’d miss him in his current role, we at least have some cover in wide positions with Under and Albrighton, which can’t be said for CAM. I can imagine Barnes having a lot of fun there, and would help to develop more tactical flexibility for the future.

Must admit that with the ongoing injury problems and condensed schedule, I’m starting to think that EL might be a tournament too far this season :(

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Tavares isn’t going to be starting for us anytime soon y’all need to chill 

At some point a player needs a chance. I'd bet if Thomas wasn't thrown in at the end of last season due to injuries he'd either be in the U23's or at best currently on loan at a mid table Championship team.