Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Slavia Prague (H) - 8pm - Thursday 25th Feb - BT Sport / ESPN - Pre Match Thread

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Me too.

Despite our incredible record this season, we've had games where we've absolutely stunk the place out. Usually at home.

Thankfully, our performances have been more Dr Jekyll than Mr Hyde, by a long way too, but I'm very nervous.

We have been a lot better at home in the Europa League though. 

3-0 vs Luhansk (lost 1-0 away) - 4 goal difference between home/away legs

4-0 vs Braga (3-3 draw away) - 4 goal difference between home/away legs

2-0 vs AEK (won 2-1 away) - 1 goal difference between home/away legs

(on average 3 goals better at home than away)

On the other hand, Prague has been much worse away in the Europa League than they are at home legs.

Lost 3-1 away to Hapoel Be'er Sheva (won 3-0 at home) - 5 goal difference between away/home legs.

Lost 4-0 away to Leverkusen (won 1-0 at home) - 5 goal difference between away/home legs.

Won 3-1 away to Nice (won 3-2 at home) - minus 1 goal difference between away/home legs.

(on average 3 goals worse away than at home).

So, if the math holds true we'll win 3-0 today :brendan_still: 

• Like 3

I'd imagine we will start with something like kasper, Castagne, Evans, cags, Thomas, Ndidi, Tielemans, Albrighton, under, Barnes, vardy. 

We will have no first team attacking players on the bench at all so we need to get this game won early. Start like we did against villa and punish them early. Ricardo if he is on the bench will be the only player who could come on in an attacking sense. Anyone know of any attackers from the u23s who might be on the bench? 

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Brendan’s record in the round of 32 (four eliminations, no qualifications), Maddison’s injury and no obvious replacement, Vardy’s lack of form, no away goal, Slavia running away with their league and able to rest players last weekend...

Even though we should win this, there are several good reasons to be concerned. Because of the away goals rule we won’t be able to feel totally secure until or unless we have a three-goal lead.

I imagine it’s going to be a nail biter.

But on the positive.....................🤔

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

Brendan’s record in the round of 32 (four eliminations, no qualifications), Maddison’s injury and no obvious replacement, Vardy’s lack of form, no away goal, Slavia running away with their league and able to rest players last weekend...

Even though we should win this, there are several good reasons to be concerned. Because of the away goals rule we won’t be able to feel totally secure until or unless we have a three-goal lead.

I imagine it’s going to be a nail biter.

With a poor side full of second rate Jocks?

6 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Are the club trolling us or is he really going to start? :mellow::dunno:

Screenshot_20210225-150200__01.jpg

I think he will as we have no other options. We don't want to play 2 cdms so him behind vardy and Barnes and Albrighton wide is our only options 

I actually feel a bit nervous about tonight, which is a nice change from 'oh, we're playing again. great.'! 

A really big match in the context of our season. If we can go into the final quarter of the season in the top 4, in the last 8 of the FA Cup and the last 16 of the EL it'll be fantastic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

I actually feel a bit nervous about tonight, which is a nice change from 'oh, we're playing again. great.'! 

A really big match in the context of our season. If we can go into the final quarter of the season in the top 4, in the last 8 of the FA Cup and the last 16 of the EL it'll be fantastic. 

Disagree. If we lost it wouldn’t be that devastating given our current rate of injuries in the squad and our increasingly difficult run of games. 

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Disagree. If we lost it wouldn’t be that devastating given our current rate of injuries in the squad and our increasingly difficult run of games. 

I know what you mean, but we've hardly been in Europe through out our history so i really want to stay in any European competion as long as possible .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kasey Keller said:

They’ll be rolling about the place like the first leg that put pay to nacho being carded and ruled out tonight.

I say we need to practice the dark arts as well if we are to progress through.

I think I would rather lose than be embarrassed by our players screaming in a high girlish voice, doing the triple roll & then flopping around grabbing at various body parts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, los dedos said:

I know what you mean, but we've hardly been in Europe through out our history so i really want to stay in any European competion as long as possible .

Yep can definitely see your point. If it weren't for the injuries I’d totally agree, but 15/25 first team players have suffered injuries for us this year, we really can’t deal with anymore. Although, if we won tonight we’d have Fofana and Perez back in the squad. I just want CL so bad this year

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

My thoughts exactly. Lovely if we win, probably not the worst thing in the world if we don’t. 

Might seem defeatist or negative but at the end of the days, if fans ain’t there for European games, it’s a bit naff ain’t it? 

I'm not necessarily nervous about this, I want to win and progress as far as we can but if we don't then so be it. Lack of crowds has took the gloss off Europe, I'll be more disappointed should we not qualify for Europe again next season where we could hopefully feel more involved. 

If the rumours are true about Under playing I think Rodgers will go for his lovely 541 tonight because of a lack of a number 10

On and off the ball:

Schmeichel

Amartey Evans Soyuncu

Ricardo Ndidi Tielemans Thomas

Under Albrighton

Vardy 

Schmeichel

Ricardo Amartey Evans Soyuncu Thomas

Under Ndidi Tielemans Albrighton

Vardy 

is my prediction. Maybe resting Barnes for Arsenal

Am I nervous?  Sure, a bit.  Just like most other knockout matches.

Am I optimistic?  Most assuredly!

I suspect we will have a hard time in the final third.  But all it takes is one moment of inspiration (or a lucky bounce) to bag a goal.

So what about the argument  "We need to not try in the European match, so we can focus on the league, so we can get European matches next year."  Bollocks to that.

Play to win the match.  Then play to win the next match.  The manager is responsible for managing the squad; he will do his job.

To paraphrase a quote from an old movie (Full Metal Jacket, 1987) -- Animal Mother -- "What do I think about (the Europa League)?  I think we should win it."

If Prague have the same attitudes as they did in the first game the ref is going to be the key figure. If we get physical in return sods law we'll see a red card as they have the far superior actors, rollers, squeelers and all round c***s. I trust our boys composure but in the last few minutes of the first game I thought they were coming close to boiling point.

The choice as far as I'm concerned is either put Under in Madisons no.10 role or push Tielemans forward and I'd then go for Choudhury in the no.8 role for the physicality. Knowing how limited our options are becoming I wouldn't put it past them to try to take someone out, if Tielemans or Vardy get crocked we're really struggling. Most important thing is keep 11 men on the pitch, beat them, then give them flack afterwards. Had a nightmare that it went to Pens (so 0-0), big cliche but first goal so important tonight but as others say you can't relax until a couple of goals ahead due to away goal rule.

1 minute ago, lnkstern said:

Am I nervous?  Sure, a bit.  Just like most other knockout matches.

Am I optimistic?  Most assuredly!

I suspect we will have a hard time in the final third.  But all it takes is one moment of inspiration (or a lucky bounce) to bag a goal.

So what about the argument  "We need to not try in the European match, so we can focus on the league, so we can get European matches next year."  Bollocks to that.

Play to win the match.  Then play to win the next match.  The manager is responsible for managing the squad; he will do his job.

To paraphrase a quote from an old movie (Full Metal Jacket, 1987) -- Animal Mother -- "What do I think about (the Europa League)?  I think we should win it."

Plus... if we win this comp and finish top 4 then we're confining Arsenal and Spurs to a season of financial constraint and inability to sign the sort of players they need!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fazzyfox said:

If Prague have the same attitudes as they did in the first game the ref is going to be the key figure. If we get physical in return sods law we'll see a red card as they have the far superior actors, rollers, squeelers and all round c***s. I trust our boys composure but in the last few minutes of the first game I thought they were coming close to boiling point.

The choice as far as I'm concerned is either put Under in Madisons no.10 role or push Tielemans forward and I'd then go for Choudhury in the no.8 role for the physicality. Knowing how limited our options are becoming I wouldn't put it past them to try to take someone out, if Tielemans or Vardy get crocked we're really struggling. Most important thing is keep 11 men on the pitch, beat them, then give them flack afterwards. Had a nightmare that it went to Pens (so 0-0), big cliche but first goal so important tonight but as others say you can't relax until a couple of goals ahead due to away goal rule.

One yellow for simulation could go a long way lol

• Like 1