Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

That's a slight simplification, missing out Musa, Slimani, Silva as the absolute horror show costly flops and Inler, Kramaric, Ghezzal, Iborra, Ward, Benkovic as a lot of outlay for minimal return it also took a long time for Mendy and Nacho to show value for money. We have wasted a lot of money in that period. Then we have the likes of Gray, Diabate, Kapustka who can all be considered flops.

I don't like the first example either. There might be some correlation between Cambiasso leaving and Kante joining but it is not comparable to selling the others for big money and spending it on better replacements.

It's funny to think we are now considered the gold standard in the transfer market when we were a laughing stock not that long ago.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

The last terrible signing was Ghezzal? That was 3 years ago. 

Wouldn't say he's terrible but Perez has hardly pulled up trees. Had he cost 15m it would have been fine, but given he cost more than Soyuncu, Ricardo, Maddison, Iheanacho, Castagne, etc he's not performed to the same level. Praet not done so much either, but for his price I think he's been a decent signing, as he does a decent job when called upon.

Ryan Bennet was a pretty shocking signing, even if he was only on loan.

Overall though it's a fantastic record in the market. The shrewdness of Rudkin to only take Under on loan proved to be a masterstroke. 

45 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

I didn’t really know where I write this but I’ve just had a video call with our Shanghai office and there’s a new starter, who’s loves English football. We got chatting and he’s only a bloody Leicester fan who woke up at 4am to watch our game last night!

We chatted some more and turns out that three of them in the office are City fans!!! He said if you go the markets you’ll only see Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester shirts!

We are officially massive😂

Out of interest where in staffs are you? 

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

That's a slight simplification, missing out Musa, Slimani, Silva as the absolute horror show costly flops and Inler, Kramaric, Ghezzal, Iborra, Ward, Benkovic as a lot of outlay for minimal return it also took a long time for Mendy and Nacho to show value for money. We have wasted a lot of money in that period. Then we have the likes of Gray, Diabate, Kapustka who can all be considered flops.

I don't like the first example either. There might be some correlation between Cambiasso leaving and Kante joining but it is not comparable to selling the others for big money and spending it on better replacements.

It's funny to think we are now considered the gold standard in the transfer market when we were a laughing stock not that long ago.

Of course, it does indeed not so much gloss over, as totally ignore the Musa, Silva, Diabate, Benkovic, etc, etc, but media is all about bite sized consumables. It may not be strictly correct, but it does provide a summation of what is high hit rate transfer activity.

alright this, but carra saying, 'losing your best player every season' is just not true

we manage to sell our 7th best player for obscene money the last 2 years; maguire & chilwell were both nowhere near our best player

Edited by eblair
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

I’m not sure we can get antsy about this piece. Ok, Maguire/Chilwell being our best players is overstating to fit a narrative, but they were pretty much ever-present before they were sold. The structure of the club is praised, the recruitment is praised, the development of players is praised. Carragher argues that Brendan is more flexible and effective than he used to be. This is what we all think, isn’t it? 

If we object to coverage like this, we’re on a slippery slope to Spursdom.

Not sure he's over achieving, he's getting the best out of a good squad. It's just rare someone gets the maximum from a group. Then there is an element of other under achieving with their squads. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not sure he's over achieving, he's getting the best out of a good squad. It's just rare someone gets the maximum from a group. Then there is an element of other under achieving with their squads. 

As a club we are over achieving by any measurable statistic, you could say that other "bigger" clubs are underachieving but we are on for our second highest points total in the premier league era our first FA Cup final of the premier league era. Brendan is a big part of that, you could argue the players are the ones overachieving or the recruitment team are the real overachievers but it would be churlish not to credit Brendan with our success.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Saying the obvious I guess..... 

Makes me laugh when Man C are seen as a globally recognised brand but Leicester can’t be. Like people even knew who they were before the money and investment.

Give us a few more years at this and we’ll have that too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Babylon said:

One one hand Rodgers is overachieving when you look at our revenue compared to the bigger clubs. On the other hand he isn't overachieving because our squad is better than Spurs and Arsenal. Its not black or white imo, it's a bit nuanced to analyse Rodgers job here.

Edited by Koke