Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

21 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

He's absolutely bang on. This is exactly what I've been saying on this forum every time someone here declares us as part of a new Big 6/7/8. We are not there yet. How can we be? We've only finished top 6 twice, ever! One was a freak win 5 years ago and the other was last season. 

As Jordan says, we're a fantastically well ran club, we are incredibly ambitious and our recruitment is smarter than most. But we need to finish top 6 for about 4-6 years in a row before we can make this claim. 

Couldn't agree more with everything he said.

I like to talk about us being part of the "elite" or a "new top 5" when talking to Spuds and Arsenal fans, because I know it winds them up immensely. :fishing: On merit, we are consistently acheiving as much, if not more than them, on a season-by-season basis now - domestically at least, and that may translate to European competition if we continue to at least qualify for the Europa League on an annual basis.

But nah, we're still very much the plucky underdogs when it comes to our perception from outside circles, and in terms of sheer economics. The training ground was the first moment where I think other parties really sat up and realised that we're developing a footballing infrastructure to muscle into the club - the salt from the likes of fans of Newcastle, Forest, Arsenal and even Liverpool fans was proof of that as our coaching infrastructure now leaves them in the dust.

The stadium expansion will be a more modest statement of intent - I don't think a 42,000 seater stadium is likely to put us on the map any more than present in this day and age than our current 32,500 - but it's still a higher gate, more fans, more space for corporate sales and - probably the bit that people keep forgetting - the development of the space between the ground and Aylestone Road will turn Filbert Way from a bit of an afterthought into a new cultural hub for the city. That sort of development is the real boost in the making. It turns the area around our ground from a bit of a carbuncle into something shiny and sellable to any interested party.

So nah, by all means call us an elite club to annoy those we're in the process of muscling out of the top six. But this is a work in progress - and one that's going brilliantly at that, so long as we keep it up on the field! :scarf:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

It'll take a hell of a performance from us and a Chelsea off day for us to have a chance against them on final day.

That seems like hyperbole really. I'd say we're pretty evenly matched. They don't have anything like the in form firepower we have. Their defence also isn't as good as ours and, frankly, I'm not sure how many of their midfield gets in our best 11.

They're a good side, I'd say probably slight favourites but that's largely because I think there are unanswered questions about some of our young players when it comes to big occasions still. 

I'd expect a pretty tight, cagey and low scoring game between two teams set up to be a bit more defensive and both struggling a bit to break stubborn sides down atm. 

1-0, could go either way, a mistake likely to decide it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

That seems like hyperbole really. I'd say we're pretty evenly matched. They don't have anything like the in form firepower we have. Their defence also isn't as good as ours and, frankly, I'm not sure how many of their midfield gets in our best 11.

They're a good side, I'd say probably slight favourites but that's largely because I think there are unanswered questions about some of our young players when it comes to big occasions still. 

I'd expect a pretty tight, cagey and low scoring game between two teams set up to be a bit more defensive and both struggling a bit to break stubborn sides down atm. 

Agree with all of this except to say that their defence is demonstrably better than ours. We might have better defenders but they definitely have a better defence, something like 16 clean sheets in 22 games under Tuchel speaks for itself. We’ve “only” (still impressive) kept 17 all season.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm prepared mentally for a 1-0 loss. Chelsea are boring as hell so won't try to make it 2/3/4-0.

I predict the pattern of the play will be thus.

We come out and sit on the edge of our box. 

Chelsea have 65-75% possession. 

One of Chelsea 100 attacks result in a goal.

Chelsea then sit back

Rodgers loosens the reigns and we start creating some chances.

We get 1 golden chance, hopefully it falls to Kel.

Fans can't work out why we didn't start attacking till we were 1-0 down and bemoan a sterile performance in a cup final.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'll agree to disagree mate. I hate the way they play, but they're phenomenal and I can only assume you haven't watched much of them under Tuchel.

Come on, let's measure them objectively. Tuchel has got them playing turgid football but although they don't lose very often in his time there they have drawn 0-0 with Wolves, Leeds and Brighton, drew 1-1 to a horribly off form Southampton and beaten 5-2 at home to West Brom. 

They are by no means a juggernaut, I actually think he's the sort of character that will implode at some point and we are a team that present him with a dilemma and I'm fascinated to see what happens. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ttfn said:

We might have better defenders but they definitely have a better defence

Fair. Can't argue with that. They're definitely better organised defensively but it's come at a cost of creativity. 

They're turgid to watch, quite frankly. Just a high budget Wolves. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Come on, let's measure them objectively. Tuchel has got them playing turgid football but although they don't lose very often in his time there they have drawn 0-0 with Wolves, Leeds and Brighton, drew 1-1 to a horribly off form Southampton and beaten 5-2 at home to West Brom. 

They are by no means a juggernaut, I actually think he's the sort of character that will implode at some point and we are a team that present him with a dilemma and I'm fascinated to see what happens. They have lost 2 or 3 FA Cup finals on the spin if I remember rightly? Us 4 on the spin. One of us buggers have got to win it 😂

I'll be full of confidence and hope as soon as the day comes around. Just right now, if we play this same narrow formation, I don't see how we have a sniff of the ball against that defence. I imagine most of our chances will come when Rodgers goes more attacking.

A positive for everyone... every time I predict we will get beat against bigger teams, we tend to turn up and embarass me. Whenever I'm confident we'll do well, the team don't turn up and embarass me.

So I look forward to drunkenly reading the messages from yourself and @Finnegan when we slap them 4-1 :D

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

I'll be full of confidence and hope as soon as the day comes around. Just right now, if we play this same narrow formation, I don't see how we have a sniff of the ball against that defence. I imagine most of our chances will come when Rodgers goes more attacking.

A positive for everyone... every time I predict we will get beat against bigger teams, we tend to turn up and embarass me. Whenever I'm confident we'll do well, the team don't turn up and embarass me.

So I look forward to drunkenly reading the messages from yourself and @Finnegan when we slap them 4-1 :D

I'm not saying you're not absolutely correct in your predictions but for all Chelsea's improvements under Tuchel there's plenty of limitations to them as well. 

I think we'd both set up in a similar system which is then a measure of which team is more dynamic through the midfield and wing backs areas. We have a penchant for being pulled out of position in that back three even though at times they defend like warriors and it very much depends on the type of play that occurs in between our midfield and the defence that might cause it.

Up top, you could argue we might find it hard but I thought Palace had got our measure all night after they took the lead and then 2nd half we managed to pull them all over the place and really ought to have scored 3 or 4. Chelsea are much better at protecting their positions than Palace but it sort of shows how we no longer can tell whether we are going to get any joy early in a game or not. We have a capability of finding a way through any set up and that's why I'm not quite as fearful of this turgid Chelsea side as I would have been last season or before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

image.thumb.png.cc589e5c87e5dee170f625d9b2465283.png

lol Literally only Ryan Bennett performed worse than him last year. 

Fair play to the guy, he's starting CL semi finals for Chelsea but what a deal we got for him. 

i didnt think he was THAT bad last season. i thought tielemans had a pretty average season tbh

If we have close to our first choice eleven fit and firing then I don’t think there is too much in it between us and Chelsea. Their squad depth, however, is much greater than ours. A few injuries would swing it very much towards them and they will have more firepower on the bench. 

I’d make Chelsea marginal favourites against us and wouldn’t be at all surprised if they beat us on the day. It’s not, however, a Man City situation. If they came with their ‘A’ game I don’t think we could do much about it, but against Chelsea it’s as much about our performance on the day as it is theirs

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not saying you're not absolutely correct in your predictions but for all Chelsea's improvements under Tuchel there's plenty of limitations to them as well. 

I think we'd both set up in a similar system which is then a measure of which team is more dynamic through the midfield and wing backs areas. We have a penchant for being pulled out of position in that back three even though at times they defend like warriors and it very much depends on the type of play that occurs in between our midfield and the defence that might cause it.

Up top, you could argue we might find it hard but I thought Palace had got our measure all night after they took the lead and then 2nd half we managed to pull them all over the place and really ought to have scored 3 or 4. Chelsea are much better at protecting their positions than Palace but it sort of shows how we no longer can tell whether we are going to get any joy early in a game or not. We have a capability of finding a way through any set up and that's why I'm not quite as fearful of this turgid Chelsea side as I would have been last season or before.

I genuinely don't remember Guaita making a save before Nacho's worldie. At which point the gaps appeared due to Palace actually trying to score.

I just don't think we're at Chelsea's level just yet. It's not that I don't think we can win, but if both teams are at their best, I'd fancy Chelsea to win 9/10. I'd love us to go out and be brave and take the game to them, I think they look at their shakiest when the other team is putting their defenders under pressure. I just can't see us ever putting that kind of pressure on a team with this formation.

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

To be fair, we had a lot on here who marked Chilwell down every game and couldn’t wait to slag him off. Some brilliant games from him would see average scores below 7. I could never work out the hate, but the most unwarranted crap since Richie Wellens.

He definitely received a lot of unwarranted criticism. But he was largely uninspiring for us let's be honest. 

He was actively poor more often than he was a stand out performer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I genuinely don't remember Guaita making a save before Nacho's worldie. At which point the gaps appeared due to Palace actually trying to score.

I just don't think we're at Chelsea's level just yet. It's not that I don't think we can win, but if both teams are at their best, I'd fancy Chelsea to win 9/10. I'd love us to go out and be brave and take the game to them, I think they look at their shakiest when the other team is putting their defenders under pressure. I just can't see us ever putting that kind of pressure on a team with this formation.

Vardy had 2 glorious chances, Tielemans had 1 chance and then after Iheamacho scored there were 2 further chances for Vardy and Perez

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

Agree with all of this except to say that their defence is demonstrably better than ours. We might have better defenders but they definitely have a better defence, something like 16 clean sheets in 22 games under Tuchel speaks for itself. We’ve “only” (still impressive) kept 17 all season.

If we can keep our 3 main CBs fit and Timmy then I'd say we're at least as good. With Justin fit we're definitely better.

42 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Really, 9/10 that's about what i'd expect if they were playing Sheff Utd . You're either really over rating Chelsea or underating City !

• Like 1

Taking our starting 11 on Monday vs theirs last night, where we could bring on Perez, Albrighton, Praet, Under, Ricardo they can call on players like Ziyech, Giroud, Abraham, Havertz, Hudson-Odoi, James.

When you take in to account the 5 subs rule that is a big advantage, and they have Kovacic to come back as well who has been a big player for them this year.

Edited by skolfoxes

On 27/04/2021 at 01:43, Koke said:

The last terrible signing was Ghezzal? That was 3 years ago. 

Realistically, who could we have signed 3 years ago that was better than Ghezzal who would not be seen as a Premier League flop and that was available on the transfer market in that time when we desperately needed a winger (or a Mahrez replacement) before the 2018-2019 season started? Now by no means am I saying that Ghezzal was the greatest of signings at this club, but I would gladly take him again over the other options we were being linked to in that transfer window period.

Just now, Iran said:

Realistically, who could we have signed 3 years ago that was better than Ghezzal who would not be seen as a Premier League flop and that was available on the transfer market in that time when we desperately needed a winger (or a Mahrez replacement) before the 2018-2019 season started? Now by no means am I saying that Ghezzal was the greatest of signings at this club, but I would gladly take him again over the other options we were being linked to in that transfer window period.

Nobody was ever going to be good enough, the right wing position was defined by Mahrez at that point. Even his prissy antics could not detract from what we gave the team. So yes, I agree with you. :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Wilfred Ndidi: Nigeria and Leicester star on emerging from N'Golo Kante's shadow

Leicester City and Nigeria's Wilfred Ndidi says he has always had confidence in himself and was never concerned about the comparison with his predecessor at the club N'Golo Kante.

Since joining Leicester in 2017 the 24-year-old has gradually established himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe.

But that initial development was always against a backdrop of comparison to Chelsea's Kante, who was an instrumental part of the Foxes' title-winning team in 2015-16.

"Yes it [comparison] used to irritate me but it's football and I completely understand the fans because they love to find something to talk about," Ndidi told BBC Sport Africa.

"Even before and then when I arrived at Leicester I heard it. I only wanted to be Wilfred Ndidi and not someone else.

"I focus on myself, I am always critical of myself, I do my best to improve as a footballer game by game and giving my best for my club.

"The comparison with others, about who is better or if Kante and I play alike, is irrelevant to me. I think all that comparison was for those who love to talk and I didn't focus on it.

"You're comfortable when you are yourself and not listening or trying to be something you are not."

This season he has been credited as a driving force behind Leicester's push for a top-four place in the Premier League their FA Cup final spot.

The Nigerian is often asked to do a lot of selfless work in his position as he efficiently breaks up play and recovers possession, which allows Leicester's manager Brendan Rodgers to be ambitious with his team selections.

Despite earning regular plaudits for his qualities as the ball-winner in the middle of the park, protecting the defence and allowing the attacking players to thrive, the former Genk man is not one to seek validation.

"I just love to give my best and when the media talk about it, that's good for the team," he said.

"I am not someone chasing personal glory or get distracted because of the praises or criticism, you'll get both in football anyway.

"My job is helping the team. Doing everything I can to get three points and victory for the club, which is very important.

"I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to play in the Premier League and chance to enjoy my game at a club like Leicester, where no player is more important than the team.

"I make a contribution like everyone else in the squad and if that helps us to achieve our collective effort, then I am happy to play my part."

Ndidi has made 140 appearances, scoring seven goals and providing eights assists in the Premier League since joining from Genk for £15m in early 2017.

At international level, he represented Nigeria at under-17 and under-20 level, before making his senior debut in a friendly against DR Congo in October 2015.

Ndidi has since been capped 38 times for his country including three times at the 2018 World Cup in Russia and helped the Super Eagles finish third at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/56847308

"...since joining from Genk for £15m in early 2017"

What a deal that was.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

"...since joining from Genk for £15m in early 2017"

What a deal that was.

Sort of slips under the radar, but another piece of amazing business by the club

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2021 at 13:52, Foxes04 said:

annoys me how much less merson said in his article about us than all of the other teams 🤦‍♂️

Hang on, Merson wrote a whole article?  We’re there smudges, handprints and crayon scribbles?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Hang on, Merson wrote a whole article?  We’re there smudges, handprints and crayon scribbles?

Just hand drawn  pictures