Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Leicester City v Manchester United - FA Cup 6th Round Pre-Match

22 minutes ago, FellowBlue said:

I come in peace! Man City fan here visiting to wish your team well for Sunday against United. Seriously, I hope you batter them and will be supporting you along with lots of other Manchester blues.

I replied to this comment in particular just to say don’t believe all you read in the media. We certainly got lucky when we were bought in 2008, and yes the owner pumped in plenty of money. Anyway, allow me to provide a little background.

Man City’s owner had to spend big in the first couple of years as he knew FFP was coming along to protect the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Bayer, RM and Barcelona, and the door on owner investment was closing. Since that initial investment our club has been exceedingly well run with lots of investment in the local community. So, in regard to the “oil money” comment, please note that United, Chelsea and others had money pumped in for years, but I guess the money from Russian Oligarchs and Americans who rack up huge debts is OK, right?  

The money we spend today is largely from ten years Champions League participation and good business investments. We have also spent well on very good players who have improved under Pep. It’s our neighbours who repeatedly break transfer records (Pogba, McGuire, Rooney, Ferdinand), but again, that’s alright because they are not spending “oil money”. They are spending the US banks’s money and loading the club with debt. Man City is a well run club with extremely loyal supporters who stuck with the club while our neighbours won everything. We do not expect to win, even now, and just appreciate watching great football.

So, having got that off my chest, again I wish your club the best of luck and hope “our man” Iheanacho” gets a hat trick tomorrow and Vardy plays a blinder. By the way, if my team doesn’t win this trophy, I hope your team does. Up the blues!

You both spend big time but Man U have bought in no where near. Man U’s squad should be good as Man C’s but they’ve spunked their money in average.

Your owner has bought the league and spent shit ton of money and I see you as bad as Chelsea and Man U in those terms.

Dont get offended and own it, you’re very fortunate that if you have a bad season you can spunk money and wages on almost anyone you want. Like a cheat code that never runs out.

Thanks for the luck

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jerry said:

If Man City are serious about winning the cup then good luck to the other semi finalists.  Having been at the 69 final and witnesses us losing 3 finals in the sixties would you be happy us getting to another final and losing or avoiding that ignominy? 

I'd opt to get to the final and take my chances in a one-off game.

Wigan successfully did it against them, thus no reason we couldn't. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FellowBlue said:

We do not expect to win, even now, and just appreciate watching great football.

Very nice and all, and thank you, but speaking for 'we' is perhaps a little over-confident, no? How many do you presume to speak on behalf of? :)

Sorry for the pedantry, but I DETEST abuse of the 'royal' we, as a rule.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

You both spend big time but Man U have bought in no where near. Man U’s squad should be good as Man C’s but they’ve spunked their money in average.

Your owner has bought the league and spent shit ton of money and I see you as bad as Chelsea and Man U in those terms.

Dont get offended and own it, you’re very fortunate that if you have a bad season you can spunk money and wages on almost anyone you want. Like a cheat code that never runs out.

Thanks for the luck

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours and understand how you feel having supported my club for decades while we were broke. I’m not offended by the comments, but will not be quiet when I disagree, which I believe adds to a constructive discussion in a fan forum like this. At least you didn’t tell me to just “**** off” which many other red clubs fans would do!....thanks for that.

My response was largely in regard to the oil comment which I will no longer dwell on. Regards your polite feedback, I think the term “bought the league” is a little harsh to say the least, as we still have to compete with other top clubs who spend as much, sometimes more than us. Remember in November, everyone tipped Liverpool, Spurs, United, etc. to win the league. We were way behind and nobody rated us as we were off to a slow start. So did Pep just “buy the league” and amazingly jump to the top? No, we had to compete and perform in four competitions. Did we buy anyone in January when Aguero, Jesus, KDB and others were injured? No! The players still have to perform and the manager still has to motivate and select the right team and tactics. There’s something to think about before you hopefully crush United tomorrow. 🙂

Edited by FellowBlue
Spelling
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

I'd opt to get to the final and take my chances in a one-off game.

Wigan successfully did it against them, thus no reason we couldn't. 

Yeah, that was embarrassing (Wigan). In a one-off cup game, any team can win. Lot’s of examples out there.

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Very nice and all, and thank you, but speaking for 'we' is perhaps a little over-confident, no? How many do you presume to speak on behalf of? :)

Pretty much all the other genuine Man City fans I know.  We used to always mess things up “typical City” style and it has stuck with many of us. There are always some newly, glory hunter f-wits out there, but I’m not speaking for them.

3 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

I’ve read that the semi final draw is at half time in our game, weirdly. That could be motivating, or not

Who the chuff thought this was a good idea. Why can't they wait until after the match finishes? It's 4 balls, it'll hardly delay songs of praise. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's OK. We all detest the "royal we" abuse.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, FellowBlue said:

I come in peace! Man City fan here visiting to wish your team well for Sunday against United. Seriously, I hope you batter them and will be supporting you along with lots of other Manchester blues.

I replied to this comment in particular just to say don’t believe all you read in the media. We certainly got lucky when we were bought in 2008, and yes the owner pumped in plenty of money. Anyway, allow me to provide a little background.

Man City’s owner had to spend big in the first couple of years as he knew FFP was coming along to protect the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Bayer, RM and Barcelona, and the door on owner investment was closing. Since that initial investment our club has been exceedingly well run with lots of investment in the local community. So, in regard to the “oil money” comment, please note that United, Chelsea and others had money pumped in for years, but I guess the money from Russian Oligarchs and Americans who rack up huge debts is OK, right?  

The money we spend today is largely from ten years Champions League participation and good business investments. We have also spent well on very good players who have improved under Pep. It’s our neighbours who repeatedly break transfer records (Pogba, McGuire, Rooney, Ferdinand), but again, that’s alright because they are not spending “oil money”. They are spending the US banks’s money and loading the club with debt. Man City is a well run club with extremely loyal supporters who stuck with the club while our neighbours won everything. We do not expect to win, even now, and just appreciate watching great football.

So, having got that off my chest, again I wish your club the best of luck and hope “our man” Iheanacho” gets a hat trick tomorrow and Vardy plays a blinder. By the way, if my team doesn’t win this trophy, I hope your team does. Up the blues!

I appreciate the well wishes and all but I don't think you have a leg to stand on with regards to the oil money comment. The poster only mentioned you yet you went on the defensive about Man U and Chelsea, and I don't think you'll find another person on here who detests their dubious funding any less than yours.

I hate Man United with a passion, but can at least concede they grew their revenue organically through continued success under arguably the greatest manager of all time. Your revenue is still questionable at the very least, with your latest attempt to undercut the rest of the league only thrown out by the pure incompetence of UEFA. 

You still managed to spend over 100m last summer in a COVID climate. That says it all really. 

You play beautiful football, and tbh I'd much rather see you win than the other 'big' clubs, but I can't accept your "but we're well run and invest in the community" stance. Hell, even though we get praise from all corners, I still feel somewhat guilty about all the money that was pumped in to get us promoted to the Prem in the first place.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Daz93 said:

I appreciate the well wishes and all but I don't think you have a leg to stand on with regards to the oil money comment. The poster only mentioned you yet you went on the defensive about Man U and Chelsea, and I don't think you'll find another person on here who detests their dubious funding any less than yours.

I hate Man United with a passion, but can at least concede they grew their revenue organically through continued success under arguably the greatest manager of all time. Your revenue is still questionable at the very least, with your latest attempt to undercut the rest of the league only thrown out by the pure incompetence of UEFA. 

You still managed to spend over 100m last summer in a COVID climate. That says it all really. 

You play beautiful football, and tbh I'd much rather see you win than the other 'big' clubs, but I can't accept your "but we're well run and invest in the community" stance. Hell, even though we get praise from all corners, I still feel somewhat guilty about all the money that was pumped in to get us promoted to the Prem in the first place.

Appreciate the feedback. I must point out that Man City’s revenue is audited by accountants and UEFA per all the FFP regulations. Every club is the same. The FFP rules were revised early on, and yes City were caught out and fined. 

In recent years the “elite” clubs such as Arsenal, United, Liverpool all pressured UEFA into banning us from the Champions League because they saw us as a threat and had it so good for years. Man City went to the independent Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and were completely exonerated of all the bulllshit charges with a 94 page report which slammed UEFA. They were incompetent only because they didn’t have a case, not because they didn’t have top lawyer because they certainly can afford it. City did get a small fine, but that was for non-cooperation to the trumped up accusations. This is not an opinion but hard facts, however the media spins it a different way to get clicks and advertising revenue, so just be careful what you read. All the same, I really do appreciate the feedback. 

23 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Personally I don't have a problem with teams "buying" the league. The teams with bigger resources generally win more trophies and that's not changed for generations.

What Man City and Chelsea did was force their way in to that elite through spending power, but now sit part of it in their own right. Imagine if they hadn't - would will still be seeing a procession of Man Utd titles? The whole thing is much more interesting with more clubs able to win the big trophies. As much as we like to play the role of the underdog we wouldn't have achieved anything ourselves if a Thai billionaire hadn't decided to buy us. 

If Man City continue the way they are there might come a time when they become as irritating as Man Utd, but that time hasn't arrived yet. If, in a generation or two's time, the streets of Leicestershire towns are full of: kids wearing Man City shirts - even though they've never been to a football match; middle aged men who claim they've supported Man City since they were 3 years old or they support them because their great grandad used to live in a flat where you could see the Etihad Stadium from an upstairs window; entitled Man City fans claiming to be bigger and more important than national teams. Maybe, just maybe, they will have become as nauseating as Man Utd fans.

But, alas, that time has not yet arrived ..... 

Ahhhh....someone who understands why Man City had to spend and crash the party. Before we did, I could predict the “Top Four” each year as being United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. That was the case for many years and it was boring for everyone else. I think we (Man City) were down the divisions a couple of times during this time! What you have now is more competition and in my opinion is better. I do think that FFP should not allow clubs to borrow and go into serious debt, or there will be lot’s of Bury FC’s down the road.

19 minutes ago, FellowBlue said:

Appreciate the feedback. I must point out that Man City’s revenue is audited by accountants and UEFA per all the FFP regulations. Every club is the same. The FFP rules were revised early on, and yes City were caught out and fined. 

In recent years the “elite” clubs such as Arsenal, United, Liverpool all pressured UEFA into banning us from the Champions League because they saw us as a threat and had it so good for years. Man City went to the independent Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and were completely exonerated of all the bulllshit charges with a 94 page report which slammed UEFA. They were incompetent only because they didn’t have a case, not because they didn’t have top lawyer because they certainly can afford it. City did get a small fine, but that was for non-cooperation to the trumped up accusations. This is not an opinion but hard facts, however the media spins it a different way to get clicks and advertising revenue, so just be careful what you read. All the same, I really do appreciate the feedback. 

Whether it's audited or not doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Every big business  is audited and still dodgy accounting goes unpunished every day thanks to creative thinking. And with regard to the media, different media spins things different ways. I get both sides of the argument.

I also agree the big clubs are trying to protect their position but equally I still don't believe your route to the top is any more legitimate. That's just how I feel about you, is all.

2 minutes ago, Daz93 said:

Whether it's audited or not doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Every big business  is audited and still dodgy accounting goes unpunished every day thanks to creative thinking. And with regard to the media, different media spins things different ways. I get both sides of the argument.

I also agree the big clubs are trying to protect their position but equally I still don't believe your route to the top is any more legitimate. That's just how I feel about you, is all.

46 minutes ago, FellowBlue said:

The problem it strikes me with this kind of discussion is it's founded on pretty unstable ground in the first place. The same accusation thrown at ManC could equally be thrown at us. It's just relative. What we're all basically agreeing on is that this isn't a meritocracy as you'd hope it to be from a sport, there's no real purity here. It's dictated to by MONEY. It's the elephant in the room that's never mentioned when pundits fawn over any of the big clubs. When ManC's bench could pay for the opposition's first team multiple times (which is most the PL) and pundits laugh it off, THAT'S what they're avoiding. I love football and I love LCFC, but once we start comparing, once money is brought into this, we have a MASSIVE problem. 

For me ManC should never have been bought by your owners in the same way Chelsea shouldn't. If the PL can't stop wealthy owners buying clubs they can at least raise ethical objections to where that money comes from. You know when Amnesty International (and many other NGOs) are on your back then you're not the good guys. Even with the recent bid for NUFC being rejected (and their claimed reason) it just proves to me how corrupt the governing body are. ManC was allowed to be bought by your owners and NUFC wasn't??? I'm sure your owners had nothing to do with that *wink wink*. Football is nothing if it's not a reflection of our larger society and it's problems. So I obviously don't put any of this onto ManC fans. You support your club through thick and thin, no matter the owner. I love that line, I'm not a football fan I'm a Leicester City fan. Players, managers, owners come and go but the fans and club remain. So you enjoy your success. But lets be clear there are huge problems in our society and our sport that ManC are a prime example of.  

Edited by Hoopla10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never really had an issue with Man City and hope they win the Champions League. It’s Guardiola who I think is a bit of a pr!ck and I hate our once yearly spanking in the cup by them because it’s about time we won the FA cup.

Anyway, back to tomorrow’s game - I’ve got many print screens of Man U fans on Twitter calling this ‘an easy win’ etc

Five quarter-final defeats since our last win at this stage, and I was in the stadium for all five of them. 

Wycombe remains the most upset I've been at the end of a Leicester match, moreso than the relegations, and slightly more than Spurs 1999. The expectation that day was a certain victory, and the excitement of a neutral ground semi-final as a 9 year old had me drooling, only to be snatched away by a team even Akinbyi should have put to the sword. 

The ghost of Spurs was laid to rest in 2000, the ghost of Wycombe remains very much at large.

United haven't lost an away game domestically for 14 months, we haven't beaten them since the 5-3 magic, we have a FA Cup quarter final bottling streak to break, and given they played Thursday night with another 95 minutes on the Fernandes clock, we have a great opportunity here.

Please Leicester, please Kelechi fire us to victory for all the mothers out there, finally lay the ghost of that striker from Ceefax to rest 👻 

Get in to them!  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, maddog said:

Five quarter-final defeats since our last win at this stage, and I was in the stadium for all five of them. 

Wycombe remains the most upset I've been at the end of a Leicester match, moreso than the relegations, and slightly more than Spurs 1999. The expectation that day was a certain victory, and the excitement of a neutral ground semi-final as a 9 year old had me drooling, only to be snatched away by a team even Akinbyi should have put to the sword. 

The ghost of Spurs was laid to rest in 2000, the ghost of Wycombe remains very much at large.

United haven't lost an away game domestically for 14 months, we haven't beaten them since the 5-3 magic, we have a FA Cup quarter final bottling streak to break, and given they played Thursday night with another 95 minutes on the Fernandes clock, we have a great opportunity here.

Please Leicester, please Kelechi fire us to victory for all the mothers out there, finally lay the ghost of that striker from Ceefax to rest 👻 

Get in to them!  

I just didn't know what to do, or how to feel.It was awful.

Vardy will score the winner from a Nacho assist.