Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrickyTrev Benjamin

Leicester or England

Leicester or England   

597 members have voted

1. 1. Who you rather win a trophy

• Leicester
    • England

Really can't be asked with England qualifiers/friendly matches. Punditry tripe that we're world beaters for beating championship quality teams then lose to anyone decent. 

Just about watch one with one of ours is playing (usually for 15 mins to replace a fave like Mount).

Would've been interesting if JJ was fit, whether he'd have been picked (probably not)

Edited by RGFox
Typo
  • Like 1

Leicester. But still very passionate for England. I haven’t got it in me to even miss watching an England game whether it’s a friendly or not unless I really have to. 

I still get the same feeling watching England at a major tournament as I do whenever I’m watching a Leicester game. 

• Like 2

I can understand being disillusioned with England but nobody seriously ‘supports’ Belgium because we have three players in their squad.

International football has become increasingly dull and that gets taken out on the national team. It doesn’t help the FA are ambitionless and Southgate is as engaging as dial up but given the atmosphere in 2018 imagine what actually winning a World Cup would feel like?

If it was a choice between Leicester winning the league cup vs England winning the World Cup, I’d pick England every time. The league, the FA cup or a European trophy I think I’d struggle to make the choice.

• Like 3

There's just such a big club biased.

The last decent England manager was Terry Venables.

Justin, before injury, was the best full-back in the league.

You think he'd get in the team ahead of TAA, Walker, Chilwell or Shaw?

Of course he wouldn't. 

You think Rice will play over Henderson? Nope.

Until the team is picked on form, I couldn't care less.

• Like 3

I'm sure we had this thread a few years back and I went for England at the time. Not even close now days, city all the way.

I don't bother watching England anymore unless Southgate has been pressured into playing one of our boys.

Just thinking about the England team actually makes me feel a bit sick. Lingard, Maguire, Rice, Phillips. Awful. 

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

But does anyone really support England ? I genuinely don’t anymore. I always thought of England supporters as a cockney thing. I think 2006 World Cup was the ending for me. I genuinely only watch England if a Leicester players is playing. Yesterday I watched Belgium because of the 3 Leicester players. 

Same here. In fact I watched Nigeria play Benin with Arab commentary, but haven't bothered with any of the England games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I can understand being disillusioned with England but nobody seriously ‘supports’ Belgium because we have three players in their squad.

International football has become increasingly dull and that gets taken out on the national team. It doesn’t help the FA are ambitionless and Southgate is as engaging as dial up but given the atmosphere in 2018 imagine what actually winning a World Cup would feel like?

If it was a choice between Leicester winning the league cup vs England winning the World Cup, I’d pick England every time. The league, the FA cup or a European trophy I think I’d struggle to make the choice.

Makes me cringe a bit. Just people trying to be different for the sake of it. The best thing about the major tournaments is the whole country coming together. Even people that don’t like football. 

I remember at work in 2018, was doing a fire alarm test and we have to announce it over the tannoy. Instead we played three lions. Kitchen staff that hate football came out dancing with arms in the air. Was great. 

• Like 3

My support for England is about 10% of what it is for Leicester. If leicester are on TV I can't leave the room and if we score I punch the air and if we concede a f and blind. With England I can leave the room for 20 minutes, when we score I say we'll done and if we concede I laugh.

My issue with England currently is that we are so overrated, some good talent, but could count the number of world class players on one hand. There is still a top 6 biast, sick and tired of average players who are out of form or injured still getting picked, or players who have been out of the squad and play for the top six get back in based on  2 good games before an international break!

The situation with maddison has summed it up for me over the last couple of years, plays his socks off, most influential attacking english midfield player at the time the last time he was in the squad and still mount got the start I think after less that 10 PL games, it doesn't make sense I just put it down to the fact he doesn't play for a trendy club!

I remember a few weeks back and one TV presenter said to a pundit, Harvey Barnes is having a cracking season, surely he's gotta be in the squad for the euros? The pundit replied yeah well erm we'll definitely need back up players in the squad! That is how our club and our players are seen and it sickens me!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foxer said:

I'm sure we had this thread a few years back and I went for England at the time. Not even close now days, city all the way.

I don't bother watching England anymore unless Southgate has been pressured into playing one of our boys.

Just thinking about the England team actually makes me feel a bit sick. Lingard, Maguire, Rice, Phillips. Awful. 

Was the last player you mentioned Chilwell by any chance?

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

It's more that I expect England to win. As I say though, as soon as we've won a world cup or Euros in my lifetime that'll do me.

I thought this earlier and wondered if I'd be more invested in / attached to a side "punching up" - rather than a side that's expected to quite comfortably beat all but a handful of countries and then invariably flaps when they get pitted against one of them anyway.

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

Makes me cringe a bit. Just people trying to be different for the sake of it. The best thing about the major tournaments is the whole country coming together. Even people that don’t like football. 

I remember at work in 2018, was doing a fire alarm test and we have to announce it over the tannoy. Instead we played three lions. Kitchen staff that hate football came out dancing with arms in the air. Was great. 

It does unite the nation it's true but is a bit fake when people who generally moan when the domestic or most other football is on suddenly jump on the bandwagon by pretending they like it when England to well in the Euros or particularly in the World Cup! Just my take. Leicester winning the FA Cup or Prem. any day over England winning the World Cup. However Leicester winning the League Cup or England winning the WC - a tie. 

40 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I completely missed out on any 2018 euphoria. Wasn't interested and didn't watch it and had no feelings at all when I knew the score. The last time I cared was 2006 I think. Remember being vaguely upset when 'Wally with the brollie' failed to qualify.

Can't imagine ever comparing whether Leicester or England winning a trophy would be preferable. For me seeing Kasper/Wes lift a trophy compared to Kane and Maguire jumping round smiling 🤮, there's just no contest.

Find it intriguing.

Edited by Rain King

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Yep, that's how I feel too. The final straw was the way that Mount was fast tracked ahead of Maddison on the back of a decent season in the Championship and 2 or 3 games in the PL. Okay, he's done pretty well for England since but with the same opportunities and patience I think Maddison could have done even better. Supporting a bunch of big 6 players has no attraction for me at all. I enjoyed the last World Cup but that was probably because we had 2 players in the squad. This time we're unlikely to have any - despite being in the top 4 for virtually the whole of the past 2 seasons, which says it's all really. Maybe when the Euros come along I might get more up for it but at the moment I couldn't be less interested.

This is the crux I think, especially as it’s usually only their fringe players. 

If it was genuinely the best team in England, or an occasional experiment with in form players to see how they coped, fine. But more often than not it seems to be a way to get fringe Big 6 stars minutes, boosting their fitness, profile and prospective transfer fee, without any effort to build a squad ready for the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Why it’s trying to be different though ? I don’t go to any of the England games and I hate most of the players who play for them. England scoring a goal never ever gave me the same feeling as Leicester scoring a goal. I don’t have no connection with supporting England apart from being English. I don’t want England to lose just I don’t care. Leicester winning the league cup would give me better memories then England winning the World Cup. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rain King said:

I completely missed out on any 2018 euphoria. Wasn't interested and didn't watch it and had no feelings at all when I knew the score. The last time I cared was 2006 I think. Remember being vaguely upset when 'Wally with the brollie' failed to qualify.

Can't imagine ever comparing whether Leicester or England winning a trophy would be preferable. For me seeing Kasper/Wes lift a trophy compared to Kane and Maguire jumping round smiling 🤮, there's just no contest.

Find it intriguing.

Other nations have unlikeable players too. We’ve had (at least) 6 players play for England over the last 5 years, including two academy graduates. There’s a decent chance Justin, Thomas and KDH get caps over the coming years too - Leicester are getting players into England squads which is exciting. 

Each to their own but I find that the active dislike a bit odd, being disenfranchised I get but surely your connection to your country goes deeper than Maguire being a dick. I don’t bother watching England against the likes of San Marino because it’s a procession but like with club football I feel as though support is through thick and thin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Other nations have unlikeable players too. We’ve had (at least) 6 players play for England over the last 5 years, including two academy graduates. There’s a decent chance Justin, Thomas and KDH get caps over the coming years too - Leicester are getting players into England squads which is exciting. 

Each to their own but I find that the active dislike a bit odd, being disenfranchised I get but surely your connection to your country goes deeper than Maguire being a dick. I don’t bother watching England against the likes of San Marino because it’s a procession but like with club football I feel as though support is through thick and thin.

Wasn't questioning you at all, find it really interesting the different feelings everyone has.

I'm not one that would go out of my my way to tell people I dislike England (this thread did sort of ask) but no, my dislike for the squad and manager leaves me willing on the opposition.

I don't feel any special pride or connection to the country and don't feel the slightest bit patriotic which is quite sad in a way.

Pleased for any Leicester players getting call ups but doesn't change my view. Something must have happened to make me disillusioned because I remember balling my eyes out after losing in Euro '96.

It's Leicester or nothing.

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 2

England are so soulless/corporate, and full of big egos with no team spirit, with a useless drone of a manager, just like Man Utd or Spurs or Arsenal, they remind me so much of a rich 6, can't identify with that at all as a Leicester fan, sod them. I'll be happy if they win a international cup but it's more of a pastime than a passion like Leicester.

• Like 1