Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrickyTrev Benjamin

Leicester or England

Leicester or England   

597 members have voted

1. 1. Who you rather win a trophy

• Leicester
    • England

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Wasn't questioning you at all, find it really interesting the different feelings everyone has.

I'm not one that would go out of my my way to tell people I dislike England (this thread did sort of ask) but no, my dislike for the squad and manager leaves me willing on the opposition.

I don't feel any special pride or connection to the country and don't feel the slightest bit patriotic which is quite sad in a way.

Pleased for any Leicester players getting call ups but doesn't change my view. Something must have happened to make me disillusioned because I remember balling my eyes out after losing in Euro '96.

It's Leicester or nothing.

Just as a follow up to this. I massively support the England cricket team and love watching them play. I went crazy when they won the World Cup in 2019.

Who knows?

As a further point, if I was ever for some reason given the choice I would scrap International football altogether.

Edited by Rain King

I would say that most Leicester fans would have a bad taste after recent years.

When Leicester were in a lower league I enjoyed watching more. It annoys me now and I think it’s due to the injustice.

Marc Albrighton... a PL winner and consistent performer... nowhere near.

Jamie Vardy... a world class striker and someone who provides so much more; mistreated due to a having a massive bottler in front of him

Constant selection of average players ‘just’ because they play for a big club (who we have been generally better than for 3-4 years):

- Tom Cleverly

- Danny Welbeck

- Theo Walcott

- Tammy Abraham

- Jesse Lingard

- Maitland-Niles

- Harry Winks

i just really dislike Harry Kane (maybe due to that cringey Lion King post in outlet title winning year) and Gareth Southgate who’s boring as **** and a shit manager 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Sven years... we had a decent team and tournament football was fun. It does make me laugh though when people say we should have won something when other teams had better players (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zidance, Xavi, Iniesta etc etc). yeh we had a good team but generally we weren’t as good as a lot of other teams and that never gets mentioned 

I persevere with the national team purely due to my heritage.

I’m proud of where I’ve come from and will support England or an individual from England in any form of competition (I’m very competitive which doesn’t help matters)

Whilst the meaningless friendlies annoy me and I always have an eye out for injuries I do enjoy international football and from a selfish perspective an FA Cup win for us and England winning the Euros would be the summer of dreams 

• Like 1

When it comes to The City ...

Some of the managers we have had over the years have been rubbish.
Some of the players we've had over the last 50 years have been a p i s s taking joke, paid massive sums of money to do nothing.
Some of the people we've employed have been disreputable characters, who you wouldn't give the time of day to.

Over the last 50 years, most of the football has been incredibly frustrating ... odd seasons of brilliance, punctuated by much longer periods of mediocrity or plain rubbish.  

Obviously we're having a great time at the moment, but most of my time supporting the City has been "testing" shall we say.  But I've never dreamt of deserting them.

Same goes for England ...

Supporting The City has given me a good upbringing in supporting a team, that's frustrating to the point of driving you mad.   But so what?  

If it's England and moves, I'll support it ... be it Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket or whatever.

I'd no sooner desert England, because at times they're frustrating and s h i t, any more than I would desert The City.  

It's called loyalty.

For me its club before country but that's only because I have such a strong connection with Leicester and not just the team. 

However, when you've been to an England away game and not just watched a drab friendly on ITV it does change your perspective a little.

Club edges it for me, but I'm not sure why people are so anti England a lot of the time.

My club, I stopped following England a long time ago, I got fed up with the hype and the hope whipped up by the media.  I found if I give England a miss at the Euros and World cup, I can sit back and enjoy the rest and I actually enjoy the competition.  Although living in France when they won the world cup was difficult to take:cry:.

• Like 1

Leicester through and through! I enjoyed watching England when I was a bit younger, the Sven era and prior but now it is a complete drag. I'll watch the knockout games but I've not tuned into a friendly in a long time. A predictably comfortable win in all friendlies, then narrow defeat in tournament.

Leicester. 

However I do follow England home and away, and would like to see them win something in my life time. I do feel with Boothroyd and Southgate in charge of respective teams it won't happen whilst they're at the helm.

Edited by Ashley

Leicester all day long . ( I can’t remember the last England match I watched , probably 2 games into the current embarrassing dullard’s tenure in the job of manager)

Despite fervently supporting England in any sporting endeavour I am happy to see English teams fail in club competition  as they’re mostly loathsome .

Leicester all the way. I only really bother to watch England outside of tournaments if I know one of ours is getting a game, though I do still feel a great sense of pride when they do.

That said, I did enjoy the feeling others have mentioned of the whole country being united in the last World Cup. England just felt like a nice place to live in for a few weeks in spite of all the divisive nastiness of the preceding and following years. Maybe it just felt that way because I was half-cut for all of our games mind.

When we won the title it felt like the whole country bar a corner of North London was celebrating with us.  Supporters of serial trophy winners don’t get that so maybe would lean more towards international success.

Having said that, I remember talking to an Arsenal supporting mate during France ‘98 about whether he would rather Arsenal won the league (again) or England won the World Cup.  I was amazed when he said Arsenal.  I guess the difference is that 6 years ago this wasn’t a question we had to consider realistically but now it is.  We are not ‘plucky Leicester’ we are genuinely one of the top teams in the country,  challenging for honours and nobody is surprised.

I am arguing with myself here and I can’t know for sure but I suspect I won’t leap out of my seat if England score to go 2-1 up in the QF against Spain with the same enthusiasm as I did when Youri scored scored last weekend.  It would be nice to get the chance test it out though.

I suppose the biggest question is why Southgate and Boothroyd have been chosen? Both were mediocre at best domestically but have found themselves in the most sort after roles. The Boothroyd mystery reminds be a bit of the Beaglehole saga with us. 

Southgate especially will be on mega money but nearly everyone I speak to is pig sick of him. 

Sadly I think the days of getting a top class coach, say Pep or even Brendan, are probably gone as I'd imagine we've become a bit of a turn off to even the coaching elite.

I remember a time when England could have had literally any coach in the world but still they appointed muck and messed it up. 

Edited by Collymore

I think we're spoilt as we have the most-watched league in the world on our doorstep. International football has being dying a slow death since the popularity of the Premier League went through the roof. I think the vast majority of fans feel a bit disappointed when it comes to international breaks...and I genuinely think a lot of the players do to.

You look at the England team and I've no doubt that players are delighted when they first get called up and even happier when they make their international debut but it really looks as though the novelty wares off pretty quickly. Most of them look and play as though they just want to get the games over with and get back to their clubs.

Look at the likes of Rashford, Sterling, Foden Walker, even Kane, they're nowhere near as dynamic for England. I guess on one hand that's understandable as they spend less time together but I really think subconsciously, when you're on north of £100k a week, you don't want a tackle from some Gibraltan postman putting you out of the game for 6 months (for example). Especially when competition for places at the top prem sides is ruthless.

In the past, England players wouldn't have thought twice about a tackle but back then playing for England was the holy grail, now playing for a Champions league team is the holy grail. I think in most other countries it's still a massive deal to represent your country. I just don't think it is for English players any more. I don't think it's that they don't care it's just that they're not passionate about it which has filtered down to many fans 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

You look at the England team and I've no doubt that players are delighted when they first get called up and even happier when they make their international debut but it really looks as though the novelty wares off pretty quickly.

Exactly this. Do you remember when Guppy got his cap? It was like years and years of consistent excellent play that we saw week in week out being rewarded. It felt such a reward and honour him getting the call up. 

Southgate has managed to take away the magic and achievement of playing for England.

He's basically called everyone up who's English and has been playing ok. Most of these players got 10 mins off the bench but have that cap in the bag. 

He then falls back to his 11 that have naked photos of him ready to distribute. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

I genuinely feel sorry for any Englishman at Leicester.  Maddison, Barnes, Justin, all are more than good enough to represent England.  I know all  three

are injured at this moment in time but I genuinely dont think even if they were fit they would get a game for England.

Prime example of Southgates bias, Lingard.  Seven good games for WHU and he walks straight back into the team.  A player who couldnt even get a place on Uniteds bench.  Mason Mount, Southgates love child surely?

I am pleased to a degree as I would rather all our players are fit and ready to play for Leicester.  I genuinely fear our Belgium trio will get injured playing for Belgium.

• Like 1

My first real memory of International football was 1990, Being away with School friends it was unbelievable iv never got over over going out till this day.  interest has defiantly drooped off but the still love the big tournaments.   2018 was quality,  remember that 6 week heat wave?   Watching England finally not loose on penalties on giant outdoor screen in the sunshine as the beer shower commenced from a safe distance with my 10 year old son is a great memory.   But i'm struggling to get over enthusiastic right now over England while life with Leicester City is epic. if you support a sh@t club like Forest then you more likely to gravitate to international football as watching your club is such turgid experience 

Also are national identity has suffered a bit , we just lived though 4 years of political civil war and then we had a pandemic i'm not sure any one feels like people feel like painting the Saint George's Cross on their face right now. 

Edited by jamfox

16 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Yep, that's how I feel too. The final straw was the way that Mount was fast tracked ahead of Maddison on the back of a decent season in the Championship and 2 or 3 games in the PL. Okay, he's done pretty well for England since but with the same opportunities and patience I think Maddison could have done even better. Supporting a bunch of big 6 players has no attraction for me at all. I enjoyed the last World Cup but that was probably because we had 2 players in the squad. This time we're unlikely to have any - despite being in the top 4 for virtually the whole of the past 2 seasons, which says it's all really. Maybe when the Euros come along I might get more up for it but at the moment I couldn't be less interested.

The Big 6 bias has always been a perceived problem but I actually think Southgate is one of the few managers who isn't quite as bowled over by it. There are plenty of players from such clubs that he doesn't select or drops due to poor form or because they aren't playing. 

My issue is though he has this preference for players who " came through the system " from English youth teams, he regularly goes on about it. A lot of it was from players he first managed when U21 manager but that was several years ago now and cannot be a legitimate criteria to use. 

Maddison is a weird one, I'm not sure why he's been so against him but that said his form now would make it very hard for Southgate to ignore and he's pretty much alluded to that as well. The unfortunate thing is his injuries this season and I think he will need to come back and absolutely smash it once again to get a small sniff of the preliminary squad before the final Euros squad and again he'd probably have to score a hattrick in 10 mins to get in.