Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TrickyTrev Benjamin

Leicester or England

Leicester or England   

597 members have voted

1. 1. Who you rather win a trophy

• Leicester
    • England

21 minutes ago, Corky said:

Leicester. I've only been to one England match so I've never really felt part of it. I used to be up for the tournaments as a youngster and I hope we do well at the next one, if a couple of our players get in then great (I used to enjoy watching Vardy and Maguire play) but the England disappointments have never felt the same as Leicester's.

Honestly, this international break has been welcome mainly for the fact our season is pretty draining and we don't need to focus on what we're doing, others around us are doing etc.

Vardy played for England? :wes::schlupp:

I must have blinked.

Edited by Matt

Harry Redknapps's video summed it up: boring wins against non-competitive teams and drab failures in tournaments.

i get excited when a Leicester player plays for England. The last time I was excited about England as a team was Euro 96.

There's now a weird mix of the tabloids beating the drum, the tabloids harassing players and fans not being bothered.

49 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

That's the thing though and I don't think I'm alone.

Always been 100% Leicester. Always. To think anything else is absurd.

But England? Hmmmm.

Most of the time, yes. But when you get the same boring shit with managers who are clueless, no.

I said on another thread the other day about Southgate. He's living off a semi final in 2018.

We won 3 games out of 7. 2 of them were against Panama and Tunisia.

Whenever we played a decent team, we were clueless.

Lucky draw.

First team they meet who know how to score a goal and England are out.Happens every single tournament.I find it quite amusing tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick57 said:

Suppose depends on your age. Watched the1966 final, but have completley lost interest now in international since the turn og the century

Hopefully we beat Man City in the FA cup final in revenge for 1969

I'm 27 and other than the FA Cup Leicester have won everything in my lifetime that we could conceivably win.

I'm not arsed about the England squad apart from 1 month every 2 years where I invest everything into willing England to win a major tournament.

I suppose it helps that I don't need Leicester to win anything to fulfill my enjoyment and satisfaction of supporting them. It's more that I expect England to win. As I say though, as soon as we've won a world cup or Euros in my lifetime that'll do me.

It's not even particularly the lack of winning a trophy with England, more that after an exciting Euro 2004 tournament and unlucky defeat, the next five (plus the one we failed to qualify for) saw enormous hype and dreadful football. 2010 was especially poor- we had a top manager and a great qualifying campaign yet scored 3 goals in 4 games and exited with the usual limp crap. 2016 the overall nadir, of course.

I mean, we didn't pack Leicester in between 2004 and 2008, did we? But then we didn't have top class players at our disposal, unlike England. I could've accepted it a bit more if the tournament games we played were mostly entertaining. You then become cynical and more detached from it.

25 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Harry Redknapps's video summed it up: boring wins against non-competitive teams and drab failures in tournaments.

i get excited when a Leicester player plays for England. The last time I was excited about England as a team was Euro 96.

There's now a weird mix of the tabloids beating the drum, the tabloids harassing players and fans not being bothered.

Your post and Harry Redknapp hit the nail on the head for me!

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

Fvck England, it’s just a metaphor for London and it’s fashionable northern satellites of Manchester and Liverpool. Italia 90, there was a World Cup, england represented by players from loads of different clubs, now it’s about shoehorning the newest kid from the ‘big 6”. I’m sorry but international football sucks balls at the moment. 

Italia 90 I think was the World Cup before the modern monied era of football. Perhaps no coincidence... although I was only 4 years old it’s probably my favourite World Cup. Seemed like it was a game played by proper men and not these modern day Nancy boys who care more about selfies, social media and their haircuts.

• Like 1

I don't think it helps playing all the games at Wembley, the atmosphere is terrible it just feels like the tourists just attend them games. When it was took around the country between 2000-2006 every England qualifier seem to have a meaning. England v Turkey 2003 at Stadium Of Light best atmosphere to hear at England international, now just feel like its catered for Londoners.  

• Like 1

Leicester will always be a preferred choice but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be incredible if England win something. I really don't understand those who seem to prefer England to fail. Although I'm not sure they really do, it's just an easy feeling to have after years of disappointment.

11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Oh, I enjoyed 98 as well.

I enjoyed La Tournoi in 97, which England actually won. 

2000 was a disaster when Phil Neville decided he wanted to reduce that Bleached Blonde Romanian fella. 

2002 was enjoyable but awkward times. I was working part time and still in education, so I missed a few games. 

2004 was painful with those two late goals against France. I did feel that we could have won this tournament if Rooney not got injured. 

2006 - losing to Portugal again was disappointing. I think this was when I lost interest. 

2008 - We didn’t qualify.

2010 - We finished below the USA in the groups and had to put with those annoying wasp sounding like vuvuzalas. We ended up playing bloody Germany, rather than Ghana. 

2012 - Flattered to deceive and binned out on penalties again, bombed out by Italy. 

2014 - We were utterly dreadful, finishing bottom of the group, which was won by Costa Rica. The fact we started Danny Welbeck up front, says it all about that squad. 

2016 - I was excited for this one, as it was coming off the back of our title win. Some bizarre decisions though and Drinkwater not going, then Vardy not playing was just wrong. Losing to Iceland with Harry Kane having a disaster class of game taking free kicks and corners summed it up. 

2018 - Despite getting to the Semi Final, I was past the point of caring. We were largely poor and lost to a poor Croatian team. 

I’ll still watch the Euros / World Cup this year, as its football. I don’t have much hope for England though, as I no longer believe the media hype. 

On my England travels - a couple of Euros and away games in between - it seems a lot of England fans follow small clubs in England, and following England is their opportunity to travel and watch their team (because they will never experience it following Plymouth, Morecambe or Carlisle). 

Just an observation, but thinking fans of smaller teams might be more passionate England fans? Not sure...

• Like 3

The only England game I’ve been too was the one at the walkers in 2003 against Serbia & Montenegro. I hated it, the highlight of the night was when a few Leicester songs got going. The friendly against Switzerland here a couple year ago, I never thought about going. I genuinely don’t have the same passion for it. Even when Leicester were bad, I always had the passion and never thought about not going or losing the love. Even during the craig levein/rob Kelly days when we never won. You were always there at the next game hoping it clicked and Gareth Williams turned into muzzy izzet or David Connolly would start scoring. 

5 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Right now I support Belgium more than England which is quite a weird feeling.

See this quite a lot and really don't understand it. 

Fair enough, you don't enjoy watching England but actively supporting another country just because a couple of Leicester players play for them is a bit weird. Unless you are belgian in some way, then I'll let you off lol

I hate international breaks.

I hate the boring football England play.

I hate that England’s support at tournaments means we all get typecast as fat, balding, obnoxious pissed louts.

I hate FIFA and everything they stand for.

Fvck the Qatar World Cup.

• Like 1