Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Mr Mister said:

That was his biggest mistake. It undermined the players and it proved counter productive.

We'd just qualified for the FA Cup Final, it's a young team, perhaps prone to getting overly excited? Personally I thought it was good man management, but I'm guessing of course.

Just now, bovril said:

I'm always surprised at how rarely supporters acknowledge this. I've read post match threads where we've been hammered and scraped a win and seen comments about bottle, grit, etc. Then a week later we can miss a hatful of chances and the manager is getting lambasted for being too cautious. Or we get the classic "that starts with the manager" comment when talking about giving away a cheap foul or misplacing a pass or something. 

If Perez slotted that away we'd be talking about Rodgers' genius bringing on Ricardo and Kelechi. 

Maybe it's indicative of the way things are debated these days. People want to distil everything down to good / shit depending on how they feel. 

The real genius would be starting a game with the intention of getting into the other teams half and giving them something to think about. Not doing it when we're chasing the game.

The manager sets the tempo, the players painfully to a man follow his instructions. The only times they didn't play boring football was against West Brom when he about cried after the game because we had the temerity to play direct and score some first half goals.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

I agree with 90%+ of what you're saying here.... The simple answer, for me, to the question what else is he meant to do?

Change it when it's not working!

Despite not having great options on the wings we do have some options - Albrighton's stats don't support him well - but I never feel like we don't have a threat with him on the wing.

Under has been injured for a while but is on the bench so is available.

Dennis Praet is a quality player that looked like he was only improving when he had a run in the side.

I'd like a bit of change and a little less stubbornness from BR. It's not a massive criticism, just a minor tweak really.

If we're playing the likes of Southampton let's just be less passive. We seem to wait for the game to go away from us and then chase it? 

Playing the same formation week in week out is exactly the opposite to the fluid / hard to predict tactics that BR seems to favour, so why do it?

Absolutely nailed it, sometimes I think Rodgers would be better setting us up to be in 8th / 9th all season then the gloom merchants couldn’t moan about bottling it .......you have to be at the top and competing to put yourself in the positions to experience disappointment and be accused of bottling it ......me I see it as we are still massively overachieving but just not having enough to get us over the line over a 38 game season. Whatever the result on Sunday we have improved our points total and won the FA Cup that is progress. 

I reckon Rodgers might make himself available to Spurs if 5th happens on Sunday. 

He's now a club legend in having won the FA Cup for the first time and can also point to two consecutive top 5 finishes with a non Big 6 club with a 'context' of injuries and small squad size as the reason we didn't hold onto Top 4 ultimately.

How from his personal view point will that improve next year? Yes, we could do better but how? EL win? Possibly. FA Cup? Probably not. Top 4? The Big 6 will regroup most likely and even WHU are gathering pace. 

So his personal stock and status is probably as high as it will ever get here and he has an ego. Spurs is a basket case in many ways but the lure of 'Big 6' status, the superb, stadium, and the ego boost of going there as the hero to turn them into a really top team and that others have failed such as Mourinho (so less of a risk and more of an incentive) would be very attractive to him.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

One final post to put this seasons achievements into context - 

Riccy P

Castagne

Jonny Evans

Cags

Fofana

James Justin 

Ndidi

Maddison 

Vardy

Barnes 

then in addition the following squad players - 

Morgan

Perez

Praet

Under

all of these players have missed significant game time this season which has impacted our ability to field our strongest team or rotate at key stages of the season .....that is an injury list that most big 6 teams would struggle with let alone us 

• Like 4

People calling out Rodgers for not playing another system, most of which require wide players.

Are options wide for the last 10 games, Barnes (Injured), Albrighton, Perez (Every man and his dog, has said he can't play wide), Under or Riccardo who looks miles off.

On top of that the two guys who have carrried most of our attacking threat for the last two seasons Vardy & Maddison (50 goals and had 22 assist) have managed 1 goal and 5 assist between them. in the last 10 games. 

Combined that with the lose of Barnes for the same 10 games, hardly surpsing we have limped up to the line. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Babylon said:

…We all love to think the players will buy into our project, but when Man U offers you £240k a week and as much chance of winning anything as us, let's get real. They are going. 

Vardy - Arsenal.

nuff said 😁

9 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Vardy - Arsenal.

nuff said 😁

Maguire

Mahrez

Kante

Chilwel

Drinkwater

Heskey

Draper

There will always be one or two who don't, but I think we all know he's the exception to the rule. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People calling out Rodgers for not playing another system, most of which require wide players.

Are options wide for the last 10 games, Barnes (Injured), Albrighton, Perez (Every man and his dog, has said he can't play wide), Under or Riccardo who looks miles off.

It's not JUST about the wingers, it's about having attacking full backs and wingers. When he first came in most of our attacking play came through the full backs, and we functioned just fine with Perez our wide. Yeah, we all know it's not idea. But It's about adding support in the right areas. The lone wing back stood isolated our wide is utterly pointless, literally might as well not be there in an attacking sense as it's nigh on impossible to get anything going through them 90% of the time.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Maguire

Mahrez

Kante

Chilwel

Drinkwater

Heskey

Draper

There will always be one or two who don't, but I think we all know he's the exception to the rule. 

Two of those left a yo-yo club. Chilwell and Kante believed they were leaving for cash and solid prospects of ongoing silverware. The Manchesters are the two biggest clubs in the world.

So out of that list you have Drinky who left for cash from a club most in the wider football world didn’t believe would ever replicate its achievement or manage to push forward.

I believe that the bulk of this squad buy into BR and the club. Sure, some may walk when a wad is flexed but, as Vardy showed, this is not a constant.

7 hours ago, bovril said:

I'm always surprised at how rarely supporters acknowledge this. I've read post match threads where we've been hammered and scraped a win and seen comments about bottle, grit, etc. Then a week later we can miss a hatful of chances and the manager is getting lambasted for being too cautious. Or we get the classic "that starts with the manager" comment when talking about giving away a cheap foul or misplacing a pass or something. 

If Perez slotted that away we'd be talking about Rodgers' genius bringing on Ricardo and Kelechi. 

Maybe it's indicative of the way things are debated these days. People want to distil everything down to good / shit depending on how they feel. 

There's barely any chance for nuanced debate when it comes to football anymore. It has to be either someone is full on shit or top class. 

1 minute ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brendan's your typical Aquarius, just like my old man was stubborn and rigid , wouldn't change his views, always thought he was right all the time

Note to Top for future reference. No Aquarians.

Personally, I only hope there are no astrology experts on my next job interview panel. Mind you, I am never wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Two of those left a yo-yo club. Chilwell and Kante believed they were leaving for cash and solid prospects of ongoing silverware. The Manchesters are the two biggest clubs in the world.

So out of that list you have Drinky who left for cash from a club most in the wider football world didn’t believe would ever replicate its achievement or manage to push forward.

I believe that the bulk of this squad buy into BR and the club. Sure, some may walk when a wad is flexed but, as Vardy showed, this is not a constant.

The point was, one seasons worth of champions league isn't going to change a players mind if they are the sort who wants to join a giant. Tielemans signed a 4 year deal rather than a 5 as someone costing that much usually would, because he wouldn't want to basically tie himself in for 3 years (when you hit two years left clubs face more of a decision). 

You know there aren't many players who would turn down a move. Spurs lost players, Arsenal lose players, Kane wants to leave a "Big Six" team to go to another one. The reality is, players know they'll get vastly more money and a more consistent chance of winning something at those bigger clubs. There is no escaping it, and it's part of the club identity now to buy young talent, sell high and reinvest. 

36 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Vardy - Arsenal.

nuff said 😁

Vardy was offered a 3 year deal on £120k p/W at arsenal, we offered 4 years at £100k p/W, not nearly the same. If they were going to offer him £200k p/W, then we’d have seen just how loyal he is

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's not JUST about the wingers, it's about having attacking full backs and wingers. When he first came in most of our attacking play came through the full backs, and we functioned just fine with Perez our wide. Yeah, we all know it's not idea. But It's about adding support in the right areas. The lone wing back stood isolated our wide is utterly pointless, literally might as well not be there in an attacking sense as it's nigh on impossible to get anything going through them 90% of the time.  

I agree the only time we seem to get something going with combination play with wingbacks is when Youri has got involved with Castange on the wide right. Our wingback have been isolated. 

We have missed the run power of JJ and a fit Riccardo; also, Castange seemed more of an attacking threat when he played as a RB.

If I am honest, I never had a problem with Perez RW like 90% of Foxestalk, especially with Riccardo behind him. 

But I'm not sure we would have picked up more point playing 4-2-3-1 with the players available, or would we have seen the improvement in Nacho sticking to that formation. 

I always think back to CR speaking about Mahrez and how when he played well, we were a different Leicester. For me, Maddison is that player now; when he's in form, we are a different side. 

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I agree the only time we seem to get something going with combination play with wingbacks is when Youri has got involved with Castange on the wide right. Our wingback have been isolated. 

We have missed the run power of JJ and a fit Riccardo; also, Castange seemed more of an attacking threat when he played as a RB.

If I am honest, I never had a problem with Perez RW like 90% of Foxestalk, especially with Riccardo behind him. 

But I'm not sure we would have picked up more point playing 4-2-3-1 with the players available, or would we have seen the improvement in Nacho sticking to that formation. 

I always think back to CR speaking about Mahrez and how when he played well, we were a different Leicester. For me, Maddison is that player now; when he's in form, we are a different side. 

Absolutely, we won't know and I understand him wanting to keep Nacho in the team. But there have been so many occasions where we've been utter dog muck and yet he's not even tried something else. That's the infuriating thing. 

This really struck me watching it yesterday, Ferguson talking with Neville about 'Risk'. That's the one of my main gripes with Rodgers, he's risk averse. Waiting until 60 65 minutes to make a change, and even then it's not a formation change, or something different. It's just like for like 90% of the time, and we just keep banging our heads against the wall. 

I know we've done alright to come back in a lot of games, but I just wish we'd try something different sometimes. Some games are just so glaringly obvious that we need to mix it up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Absolutely, we won't know and I understand him wanting to keep Nacho in the team. But there have been so many occasions where we've been utter dog muck and yet he's not even tried something else. That's the infuriating thing. 

This really struck me watching it yesterday, Ferguson talking with Neville about 'Risk'. That's the one of my main gripes with Rodgers, he's risk averse. Waiting until 60 65 minutes to make a change, and even then it's not a formation change, or something different. It's just like for like 90% of the time, and we just keep banging our heads against the wall. 

I know we've done alright to come back in a lot of games, but I just wish we'd try something different sometimes. Some games are just so glaringly obvious that we need to mix it up. 

I agree, but I've looking at our bench a lot over the last 10 games and it hardly full of options. 

I'd have like to see us try the diamond we played away at Villa last season, with Praet involved, to me thaat was the logical other option with the players available. 

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I reckon Rodgers might make himself available to Spurs if 5th happens on Sunday. 

He's now a club legend in having won the FA Cup for the first time and can also point to two consecutive top 5 finishes with a non Big 6 club with a 'context' of injuries and small squad size as the reason we didn't hold onto Top 4 ultimately.

How from his personal view point will that improve next year? Yes, we could do better but how? EL win? Possibly. FA Cup? Probably not. Top 4? The Big 6 will regroup most likely and even WHU are gathering pace. 

So his personal stock and status is probably as high as it will ever get here and he has an ego. Spurs is a basket case in many ways but the lure of 'Big 6' status, the superb, stadium, and the ego boost of going there as the hero to turn them into a really top team and that others have failed such as Mourinho (so less of a risk and more of an incentive) would be very attractive to him.

It depends what his ambitions are. He knows he has taken us as far as he can, if we miss out on Top 4 marginally two seasons running, he knows that was the chance.

If he wants to stay here for a few years to build a consistently challenging team, then he might stay. If he wants to have a go at winning the EL, then again, he will stay. However, if he wants to qualify for CL with a club, then he will move on. You do wonder though if Spurs are the right team because he will not have much money to spend on players and the squad is not that strong to easily compete for Top 4. I feel he could maybe do more at Arsenal and they would love a CL finish.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It depends what his ambitions are. He knows he has taken us as far as he can, if we miss out on Top 4 marginally two seasons running, he knows that was the chance.

If he wants to stay here for a few years to build a consistently challenging team, then he might stay. If he wants to have a go at winning the EL, then again, he will stay. However, if he wants to qualify for CL with a club, then he will move on. You do wonder though if Spurs are the right team because he will not have much money to spend on players and the squad is not that strong to easily compete for Top 4. I feel he could maybe do more at Arsenal and they would love a CL finish.

IF - and it’s a huge if, we managed to scrape CL at Chelsea’s expense and they also lose the CL final, I can see Roman giving Tuchel the bullet and coming in for BR.