Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ghezzal

If we let him go for free, we lose a potential 2-3 million but assuming Besiktas sign him , he is off the payroll. If he stays with us for a year we pay him his years salary   about 2.5 million and he still leaves for nothing. We have no place for him in the squad so in all probability he gets his money for doing nothing. As long as Besiktas sign him for a nominal fee ,say a grand, that seems our best option.

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

If we let him go for free, we lose a potential 2-3 million but assuming Besiktas sign him , he is off the payroll. If he stays with us for a year we pay him his years salary   about 2.5 million and he still leaves for nothing. We have no place for him in the squad so in all probability he gets his money for doing nothing. As long as Besiktas sign him for a nominal fee ,say a grand, that seems our best option.

Why do you seem so hell-bent on giving him away? It appears there's at least a few clubs interested. We should be getting a few million for him, at least.

• Like 1

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

Why do you seem so hell-bent on giving him away? It appears there's at least a few clubs interested. We should be getting a few million for him, at least.

This could drag on and in truth they are sitting with the best hand. We can't loan him out so we have to get rid or pay him for doing nothing and he, his agent and Besiktas know that. As far as I know they are the only potential buyers. I would be delighted if somebody else would give us a proper fee and pay him his 50,000 a week but I just don't see it.

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

This could drag on and in truth they are sitting with the best hand. We can't loan him out so we have to get rid or pay him for doing nothing and he, his agent and Besiktas know that. As far as I know they are the only potential buyers. I would be delighted if somebody else would give us a proper fee and pay him his 50,000 a week but I just don't see it.

I think there are at least two other clubs interested. At least one from France and at least one Saudi club. I think we had a bid of 10m Euros from one of them. The trouble is that Ghezzal is only really interested in staying at Besiktas, who are using this to their advantage. I think if it was up to me, I'd stand firm, as I think a decent fee is realistic on the back of the season he just had.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think there are at least two other clubs interested. At least one from France and at least one Saudi club. I think we had a bid of 10m Euros from one of them. The trouble is that Ghezzal is only really interested in staying at Besiktas, who are using this to their advantage. I think if it was up to me, I'd stand firm, as I think a decent fee is realistic on the back of the season he just had.

Yes, we need to make a statement here that we won't be browbeaten by the combined efforts of Besiktas and Rashid Ghezzal into accepting a quarter of asking price and have the piss taken out of us.  If that statement costs us 5m euros to make, then it might still be a price worth paying in the long run.

• Like 1

Just now, murphy said:

Yes, we need to make a statement here that we won't be browbeaten by the combined efforts of Besiktas and Rashid Ghezzal into accepting a quarter of asking price and have the piss taken out of us.  If that statement costs us 5m euros to make, then it might still be a price worth paying in the long run.

I tend to agree. Rudkin and the club have built a strong reputation for not taking any sh*t in their transfer dealings, and to cave in to a club like Besiktas would do untold damage in future negotiations.

Ok so we want Ghezzal gone from the wage bill, the player himself knows he has no future here and so do Besiktas. I do not blame them for playing hardball in trying to get the best (in their case, lowest) deal, especially when the player himself is aiding and abetting their cause by refusing to listen to other offers. However, there is a principal at stake here and we need to stand firm. 5Mill or do one and he can rot in the u23s until January.

The only good spin we could put on it would be that we did not stand in the players way when he had a chance to resurrect his career elsewhere but that would just make the "big" clubs think they can put one over on us when they decide they want to take one of our players in the future. OK so its different when we do not want to sell but what if a Tielemans or Maddison for example were in the last year of their contracts, decided that they were only interested in one club, who offered us £10M. Take it or leave it and then they go for free next year.

It is brinkmanship and will probably go to the end of the window but if the club hold firm i am pretty sure their nerve will break first, particularly if there are other clubs sniffing around. I wonder how big a kick back (oops signing on fee of course) the player/agents will get for holding out against other offers if it reduces the purchase price by a couple of mill or so? Big enough that they are prepared to take the risk of losing out on the move altogether?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

What a complete waste of money Ghezzal turned out to be, the worst part if it is we were warned when we signed him!

Our recruitment is the envy of the Premier League.  That is why a middling provincial club like ours can mix it with the juggernauts, yet this team cost over £150m for virtually no return over the last 5 years:

Zieler

Benkovic   Benalouane    Hernandez

Inler   Iborra     Silva      

Ghezzal        Perez       Musa

Slimani

I guess it's not as easy as it looks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Our recruitment is the envy of the Premier League.  That is why a middling provincial club like ours can mix it with the juggernauts, yet this team cost over £150m for virtually no return over the last 5 years:

Zieler

Inler   Iborra     Silva      

Slimani

We actually got all our money back for Musa, somehow lol

Too often people look at stats and make mistaken assumptions. Footballers are human and fail and disappoint for many reasons. For financial and risk averse reasons we should bring through as many academy players as possible and use the transfer market only when there is no other option. The Chilwell - Thomas succession is an ideal example.

2 hours ago, turlo said:

sounds like fee still to be agreed, which is the sticking point. 

Quite . The player and Besiktas can agree whatever they want but as we own his registration he won’t be kicking a ball for them until LCFC receive something approaching an acceptable offer 

• Like 2

If it's the case they're all playing hard ball then just let Ghezzal spearhead a Papa John's trophy assault. He's be a 'one man army' a bit like Arnie in Commando when he enters the enemy compound at the end. 

Besiktas are taking the piss by the sounds of it. He was their best player last season yet they won't pay a reasonable fee for him. Its not like we're asking for an excessive amount of money. I'm sure there isn't loads of money in the Turkish league but they are in the champs league so they will have some money to spend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

I swear if we said he's free these fecking Turks would want 500k to take him.

Ok said in jest , but having at one time had extensive business dealings with a couple of clients in Turkey that’s pretty much how their minds work 

49 minutes ago, murphy said:

Zieler

Inler   Iborra     Silva      

Slimani

I think Ward should be in goal and it's a bit harsh on iborra as I thought he was a good player, just not a prem player. At least he stays in touch with the club and its relationships like that that can do no financial harm with future signings.

As for the rest 🥱

27 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I think Ward should be in goal and it's a bit harsh on iborra as I thought he was a good player, just not a prem player. At least he stays in touch with the club and its relationships like that that can do no financial harm with future signings.

As for the rest 🥱

You could have Jakupovic in goal as well.  I wouldn't say that Ward has been a failure.

You might think that Iborra was good player, so were Silva and Slimani in their league, but that is a team of recent signings who for one reason or another never made it here, just to make the point that even the best (and I do think that we are the best) make plenty of mistakes in the transfer market.  You could add Diabate and also Gray, Big Dan and Mendy as players that never really made it here  It's a crazy amount of money.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

You could have Jakupovic in goal as well.  I wouldn't say that Ward has been a failure.

You might think that Iborra was good player, so was Silva and Slimani in their respective leagues but that is a team of recent signing who for one reason or another never made it here, just to make the point that even the best (and I do think that we are the best) make plenty of mistakes in the transfer market.  You could add Diabate and also Gray, Big Dan and Mendy as players that never really made it here  It's a crazy amount of money.

Totally agree tbh 

• Like 1