Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ghezzal

In the few games he started he was the best player in about three of them. Granted the whole team was dog turd at the time so it doesn’t say much. He just lacks pace for the premier league like Knockaert. Naturally talented but in this league you mostly need a bit more than that!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turkish14 said:

There will always be good purchases and at times some that don’t quite work out.

He came recommended and even the current players say that Ghezzal is one of the most skilful players on the ball. He ripped apart the Turkish superlig, a league somewhere between 6th-10th best in Europe. He just doesn’t have the all round attributes to fit into the EPL.

So I’m not sure how he gets into your line up considering the players we had in those positions 2004-2008. 

Agreed. He is skillful but he has 3 major flaws for me. Firstly, he is physically very weak, nowhere near strong enough for the prem. Secondly, and this is really strange for a skillful player, his first touch is absolutely shocking. In the games I saw he was chasing his own first touch. Thirdly, one of the most one-footed players I've ever seen at this level.

I think he'd probably be a very effective Championship player (if he could bulk up a bit) but not good enough for the prem. 

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Another player we can include in the worst City line up since the year 2000.

Would honestly love to talk to the club official who made the decision to sign him and establish his or her reasons why we did. 

No chance we have had some total dross, I think you could make 2-3 squads of worse players.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Babylon said:

In the few games he started he was the best player in about three of them. Granted the whole team was dog turd at the time so it doesn’t say much. He just lacks pace for the premier league like Knockaert. Naturally talented but in this league you mostly need a bit more than that!

...I remember there was an occasion where the ball was played wide in open space and the fullback had over committed, he had time and no pressure to drive into the box. Instead he just slowed his run waiting for support and a great opportunity went begging.

I feel he was too overwhelmed being compared to Mahrez and was cowed by the personality of the squad that existed at the time. I saw him score a very good goal where he was played in on the Right Wing he took a touch and steered a shot from outside the box into the keeper's right hand post. You could see he had the skillset, just not enough arrogance to impose himself on the games.

Another case of the fans of the selling club being spot on. If you can filter out bitter comments it normally gives a very good indication of a players ability*. The Monaco and Lyon fans couldn't believe they got money for him.

Opposing forums should always be first port of call. That's why we should have grounds for opptimism about the Bertrand signing. 

*I think the Tielemans signing might be the exception. 

• Like 1

whats the hold up on this?

we want rid, he wants gone and clubs are interested..

are we really haggling over 1-2m which in prem football is nothing.

come on, Susan, pull your finger out.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Still early days in the window to negotiate and I don’t think Ghezzal will mind getting himself into shape for the new season using our brand new facilities. 

£1-2 million is still £1-2 million, so don’t think there is a rush from anyone on this side. 

He will also probably be taking a pay cut on the deal -- the longer it takes, the longer we are paying him.

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

It seems to be his negotiating with Besiktas and Galatasaray that is holding up the deal rather than the clubs agreeing a fee with us

Apparently both us and he have agreed a deal with Galatasaray but he is waiting to see if Besiktas are willing to match the offer

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Still early days in the window to negotiate and I don’t think Ghezzal will mind getting himself into shape for the new season using our brand new facilities. 

£1-2 million is still £1-2 million, so don’t think there is a rush from anyone on this side. 

people can negotiate and even sign deals outside of the window but they can’t be registered to play  until it opens.

it’s just frustrating. He’s probably holding up wages we are waiting to allocate elsewhere.

27 minutes ago, MPH said:

He trained with us Friday, so earliest he’d of been in turkey sorting stuff would be the Saturday?

47 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Another case of the fans of the selling club being spot on. If you can filter out bitter comments it normally gives a very good indication of a players ability*. The Monaco and Lyon fans couldn't believe they got money for him.

Opposing forums should always be first port of call. That's why we should have grounds for opptimism about the Bertrand signing. 

I've been slated on here for that opinion. :D

I think any player we sign we should also reference the forums of his club. Certainly not the be all and end all but there have been countless examples of the fans who watch a player week in week out being as accurate about a player than any other metric.

Reading a few Everton fans being happy about signing Demarai Gray as squad strength and whilst there is some potential there as he's quick and a good athlete he'll never be a good PL player IMO. I don't totally write him off but he's one of these players who is perceived better than he is. He's 25 now and we still talk about his potential. Every time we've had a new manager here he's quickly found himself in the first team only to be dropped about a month later. Since Mahrez left we've had some poor options on the wings and still he can't get game time. Even Leverkusen have seen enough after six months.

57 minutes ago, MPH said:

Terrible attitude, do you also pay asking price when buying a house or a car?

By that logic it's pointless developing players like Knight who are good Championship players and just a level short for us. 

If we really don't care about a couple of million we'll get the arse ripped out of us on every deal. It's about negotiation and understanding the dynamics of who holds the power in an negotiation. IMO Ghezzal and the buying club need the deal to happen more than us so we'll bide our time and get our price eventually. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

...you should try looking at the Monaco forum the season before Youri got here!!!

They would have accepted £10m for him and taken him to Leicester themselves free of charge. There was a general hatred coming from their supporters and they were not prepared to watch Youri in their team for another season. I would not be surprised if their new manager who came in to Monaco at the time did not insist that it was either Youri goes or he does not take the job. It was that bad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Agreed. He is skillful but he has 3 major flaws for me. Firstly, he is physically very weak, nowhere near strong enough for the prem. Secondly, and this is really strange for a skillful player, his first touch is absolutely shocking. In the games I saw he was chasing his own first touch. Thirdly, one of the most one-footed players I've ever seen at this level.

I think he'd probably be a very effective Championship player (if he could bulk up a bit) but not good enough for the prem. 

absolutely agree with this. I think he could do a job lower EPL with a promoted team, but wouldn’t get much gametime. 

we had far worse players in the mid noughties 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

There have been more exceptions… 

ask our fans did we rate Kane when he was on loan to us.. vards after the first year?

I think it’s good to get other fans views, but don’t agree with there being the odd exception. I think it’s more 70/30 that fans views on a player is an accurate reflection. I’m playing devils advocate here 😊

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Burnley at home when he was played as a 10, he was the best player on the pitch. He also did well vs Liverpool when Iheanacho came on, that was the day Puel decided Gray was a future centre forward, hideous.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

Terrible attitude, do you also pay asking price when buying a house or a car?

By that logic it's pointless developing players like Knight who are good Championship players and just a level short for us. 

If we really don't care about a couple of million we'll get the arse ripped out of us on every deal. It's about negotiation and understanding the dynamics of who holds the power in an negotiation. IMO Ghezzal and the buying club need the deal to happen more than us so we'll bide our time and get our price eventually. 

OR it could be a case of us missing out on someone who might actually play for us because the wages being allocated elsewhere. 

we readily accepted we would be getting a lower transfer fee for Chillwell because of the economic impact of Covid and I can almost guarantee we accepted more than 1-2 million less than we originally wanted.

yet we are holding our noses out for 1-2 million more for someone who doesn’t play? lol 

11 minutes ago, MPH said:

OR it could be a case of us missing out on someone who might actually play for us because the wages being allocated elsewhere. 

we readily accepted we would be getting a lower transfer fee for Chillwell because of the economic impact of Covid and I can almost guarantee we accepted more than 1-2 million less than we originally wanted.

yet we are holding our noses out for 1-2 million more for someone who doesn’t play? lol 

The greater point is that Besiktas thought they could all but screw us out of a transfer fee.  So Whelan & Co skillfully showed who actually hold the cards here … upholding our rep for not being an easy touch in the transfer market.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

The greater point is that Besiktas thought they could all but screw us out of a transfer fee.  So Whelan & Co skillfully showed who actually hold the cards here … upholding our rep for not being an easy touch in the transfer market.

thats great.

in the mean time we have supposedly substantial wages caught up in someone   We can’t spend on anyone else, who isn’t going to play again, who wants to leave, who has clubs interested.

it’s a realistic possibility we could miss out on someone because we are ‘ holding our rep’ and it’s not about whether There are weeks left in the transfer window, it’s about wether other clubs could be after the same players as us…

1 minute ago, MPH said:

thats great.

in the mean time we have supposedly substantial wages caught up in someone   We can’t spend on anyone else, who isn’t going to play again, who wants to leave, who has clubs interested.

it’s a realistic possibility we could miss out on someone because we are ‘ holding our rep’ and it’s not about whether There are weeks left in the transfer window, it’s about wether other clubs could be after the same players as us…

At this point the suggestion is that there isn’t much of an issue with the transfer fee between us and Besiktas/Galatasaray - it is that Ghezzal and his agent are waiting to see if Besiktas are willing to offer the same or more than what Galatasaray have offered him

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Burnley at home when he was played as a 10, he was the best player on the pitch. He also did well vs Liverpool when Iheanacho came on, that was the day Puel decided Gray was a future centre forward, hideous.

I think it was Brighton he did well also.