Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Matheus Pereira

10 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

He looks a decent player but I would hope we can find a right wide player that is not only good technically but has real pace too. So it's a no from me.

I get where you are coming from, but pace doesn't always equate to ability or effectiveness. Look at Musa, Traore etc.

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree, which is why I said we need someone fast - and good technically. 

Dan James springs to mind. Again another concern would be the potential cost for such a technically gifted speed merchant.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

He looks a decent player but I would hope we can find a right wide player that is not only good technically but has real pace too. So it's a no from me.

Because of my advanced age I can tell you that pace was not George Best's major weapon. In fact Stan Matthews was not fast either. Pereira is skillful and strong that is why he beats players. If you can, find an old video of Mike Summerbee , the perfect example of what strength and skill can do.

57 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

....you do not have to have pace, although it does help in some instances!!!

With his intelligence he will have read the game and be available in the right position to support our strikers. Most importantly for me, will be his ability to unerringly play the right ball, in the last third which has continuously let us down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

This one is creeping ever closer to 20 million , Villa and Leeds also interested. In a team of better players he could quickly make that look cheap.

Or he could go the Ayoze Perez way, after looking better in a team of poorer players.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Or he could go the Ayoze Perez way, after looking better in a team of poorer players.

Every transfer carries some risk of course but Pereira comes with provenance from the West Brom fans, Allerdyce and the pundits. He is a very good player and would be a great addition to our attack.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Every transfer carries some risk of course but Pereira comes with provenance from the West Brom fans, Allerdyce and the pundits. He is a very good player and would be a great addition to our attack.

They also think he'll go for 30 million (or even north of that), but you're right that every signing is a risk. Just don't want another Ayoze-sized risk.

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

If true pereira 20m, edouard 15-20m, soumare 15-20m, Bertrand free what outstanding business. 

I’d expect a cb to be on the wish list as well, I’m worried how on-going this evans injury could be. People hate it but Tarkowski is exactly what we need and I could see him going for 15-20 as well. He’s into his final year now. A calm experienced magnet head to fill in for jonny... yes please 

I think I read somewhere, probably here, that our average net spend over the last 5 years is 22 M. Can't see us spending that much unless we sell a significant player. 

• Like 1

@enmac

We’ve got a lot of big wages off the books and clearly need to build the squad if we want to compete on multiple fronts. Seeing as there is no ffp this would be the season to spend big. 

I think our owners will back Brendan as he’s proved himself 2 years running now.

plus this is only 50m potentially which is pretty reasonable. Plus we’re going to get at least 7m for ghezzal and saved 26m from last year that was planned for under. 

so the net spent would be pretty close 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, enmac said:

I think I read somewhere, probably here, that our average net spend over the last 5 years is 22 M. Can't see us spending that much unless we sell a significant player. 

If we want to keep BR happy and at the club we are going to need to loosen the purse strings a little. 

Second season in Europe in a row, EL whilst not CL still netted us 17m odd, plus FA cup prize money of 4m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

If we want to keep BR happy and at the club we are going to need to loosen the purse strings a little. 

Second season in Europe in a row, EL whilst not CL still netted us 17m odd, plus FA cup prize money of 4m.

Didn't know EL paid that much. So 17 +4+ 22(average net spend) + 7(Ghezzal) =50M. Seems feasible. 

45 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

He is very inconsistent. I do not want another Perez we may as well just give Ghezzal a go if we are going to spend 20 million on Pereira.

Have you not seen ghezzal play at all for us?