Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

LCFC v Brentford (A) : Pre-Match Thread

This is one tricky, tricky game on paper. The key will no doubt be to rock them early and really come out on the front foot, if we can do that then we should be able to win. They have hallmarks of Leeds in that they are susceptible in certain areas, but also carry a decent goal scoring threat. I’d imagine going a bit more direct to Nacho and Vardy would serve us better than overdoing it in a crowded midfield where mistakes could cost a lot.

If we haven’t scored a few by half time then it could very well be a different story as they’ll only grow in confidence throughout the match - they have been in the Prem generally so far just building performances, points and their confidence in their game.

I think ironically this will be tougher than Man Utd, hopefully we can fully show up and keep the goals coming. Have we ever scored four in three matches running before? That might be the only way to get the three points in reality 🦊 

• Like 2

I’d go with the same team as utd.

If Youri and Timmy don’t make it luke and Hamza to get the nod.

Harsh on Daka but think both him and Vardy work well with Kel so need to choose between them for now. Think we’ll definitely see Daka getting more minutes from here on in after last 2 appearances 

15 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I made it 3 but tbf the assist for Soyuncu's goal just bounced off his leg. 

He actually got given assists for the 2nd and 3rd goal but not the 4th - I don’t think he actually got his head on it before Daka put it in

14 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He actually got given assists for the 2nd and 3rd goal but not the 4th - I don’t think he actually got his head on it before Daka put it in

It was 1 very good assist, and 1 or 2 questionable "assists". He looked better than normal when he came on, but he is still a weak link in our side when he plays.

Perez, for me, always seems to work better in a pressing role. I'd actually say he's a good Nacho replacement if he's out the team. Take Daka's 3rd (or 4th, can't remember) goal last night or the one against United where Nacho nicked the ball off Maguire - that's what I see Perez doing. Press high, square the ball. 

If we could have a situation where it's Vardy/ Daka with Nacho/ Perez, I can see that working. A presser and a finisher. 

5 hours ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

I think ironically this will be tougher than Man Utd, hopefully we can fully show up and keep the goals coming. Have we ever scored four in three matches running before? That might be the only way to get the three points in reality 🦊 

No doubt about it ….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Perez got 3 assists last weekend, nobody seems to be including him in their teams?

He did really well but it was one good performance amongst many mediocre or poor one's. I don't wish to take his good performance away from him but he's nowhere near the standard of Maddison if fit and able and surely can only be considered for a place on the bench. I also think in all honesty, 3 assists is stretching it a bit really though you can't deny his presence on the pitch made a difference. Best for short cameos I think but only when absolutely necessary. One swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

14 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

If Youri and Castagne are passed fit and available, would start with…

Kasper

Ricardo

Amartey

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne (Thomas)

Youri (KDH)

Soumare

Maddison

Iheanacho 

Vardy

It’s a bit ‘unfair’ to Daka, after tonight’s exploits, but Vardy is having a Golden Boot-type start to the season. Furthermore, I also think that each of our main strikers (Vards and Daka) play better (that is, actually lift their game) playing off Nacho as a foil. If it’s not working (or we are chasing the game), Daka can always come in for Nacho (or even Vardy).

Brentford have started their premier PL season relatively well, and seem to be continually growing in confidence. They therefore deserve a fair bit of respect and thus I'd stick with a back-three in this away fixture. Nonetheless, we now have the flexibility and option of changing formation even midway in the game - revert to a back-four and bring in Barnes, Lookman or Daka (even Perez)!

How things change quickly in this great old game of football: Eagerly looking forward to our games again! :scarf:
>

One bonus about us starting with two strikers is that Daka is probably nailed on to come on as a sub in those matches, which will help him no end. 

I’m hoping the silver lining about Tielemans getting a knock is that KDH gets some game time. In pre-season he looked great. I think he’s ready and he needs game time to  feel inspired and push on. It’s a bit daft IMO that we run Tielemans into the ground with every match without ever subbing him when KDH is good enough and has been chomping at the bit. 

3 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Any shouts on a good pre-match pub for this one? I'm guessing the ones on the corners of their old ground are no longer open?

Three of the four around the old ground are still open - The Princess Royal on the south east corner closed down, which was the most miserable of the four anyway. It’s about a 20 min walk from Griffin park to the new ground. There is a really decent large pub right next door to the new ground - The Express Tavern, which I assume must be rammed on match-days. Or if you walk a few minutes towards the river there is a newish Fullers pub called One Over the Ait which is pretty large and nice. The other option is to walk down to the river and head west. Within ten minutes you’ll see about four pubs on the north bank - The Steam Packet, The Bell and Crown, the City Barge and the Bulls Head. If it were me I’d go for one of those four - especially if it’s a nice day and you can drink outside, personally I prefer the Bulls Head but it’s the furthest away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wish I was going to this. Rodgers seems to have finally found the system which works for us. It should be the same starting 11 against Man Utd. As long as Tielemans is fit then I'm confident of a result. Daka will come on in the second half after Vardy's had a party and made himself top PL goal scorer. 3-1 to the foxes. Maddison to have a maestro performance in midfield. Brentford are a good side but we've got enough to undo them I reckon. COYB 

17 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

If Youri and Castagne are passed fit and available, would start with…

Kasper

Ricardo

Amartey

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne (Thomas)

Youri (KDH)

Soumare

Maddison

Iheanacho 

Vardy

It’s a bit ‘unfair’ to Daka, after tonight’s exploits, but Vardy is having a Golden Boot-type start to the season. Furthermore, I also think that each of our main strikers (Vards and Daka) play better (that is, actually lift their game) playing off Nacho as a foil. If it’s not working (or we are chasing the game), Daka can always come in for Nacho (or even Vardy).

Brentford have started their premier PL season relatively well, and seem to be continually growing in confidence. They therefore deserve a fair bit of respect and thus I'd stick with a back-three in this away fixture. Nonetheless, we now have the flexibility and option of changing formation even midway in the game - revert to a back-four and bring in Barnes, Lookman or Daka (even Perez)!

How things change quickly in this great old game of football: Eagerly looking forward to our games again! :scarf:
>

Seen a stat yesterday saying Nacho has been involved in 25 goals in his last 28 games or something like that 🙌🏻

• Like 1