Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

LCFC v Brentford (A) : Pre-Match Thread

Regardless of Brentford's impressive start to the season, if we can't beat a newly promoted team then we can have no ambitions of a top 4 finish. We cocked it up against Fulham last season and it cost us, we can't afford to repeat the same mistake.

Edited by jim5000
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Very much. Very physical. Unafraid to use the long ball.  They were unfortunate it didn’t work against Chelsea 

The got a result against West Ham by basically putting three massive defenders on Antonio and bullying him out the game

So we don’t know if YOURI is fit to play , so who fills his shoes . Here’s a left field suggestion LOOKMAN , the boy has the skill can produce a pass , just not sure how long he could go for playing in the midfield, but to be honest we don’t have anyone else , that I or most on here would trust 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Erm............

So how did the top 5 get on against newly promoted teams last season.

Champions Manchester City 11 points = W3 D2 L1 | drew with West Brom and Leeds and also lost to Leeds

Second placed Manchester United 12 points = W3 D3 | drew with Fulham and West Brom and Leeds [and also lost to relegated Sheffield United]

Third placed Liverpool 9 points = W2 D3 L1 | drew with Fulham and lost to Fulham, drew with West Brom and Leeds

Fourth placed Chelsea 13 points = W4 D1 L1 | drew and lost to West Brom

Fifth placed Leicester City 12 points = W4 L2 | lost to Fulham and Leeds, won the others

So of the top five last season, we had the joint second best record against the promoted teams, and better than the champions!

And FWIW, our record against the the teams who finished top four... W4 D1 L3 = 13 points from possible 18

Oh dear eh. In any case, I think Brentford are a different proposition to Fulham and West Brom, I quite admire them actually. In some ways I see them as a tougher proposition to Man United. 

• Like 1

I hope that the form, mood and style of play, before last weekend, was another classic Leicester City reminder that the club isn't quite at the level the high expectancy fans think it is. A nice leveller of the reality of supporting Leicester City.

We definitely enter this game from a much stronger perspective compared to everything pre Manchester United game, so it's all looking encouraging again.

It's amazing how important The Seniorman is to us now and once again, how important it is to allow the club to develop players correctly. 

I'm hoping that Maddison can continue his promising form and should start really, although I'd place him in the same position as he started against Utd, rather than the one he took up against Moscow.

I'd assume we'll start the same line-up as we did against Utd, but we never know.

I can't quite remember when we've had a player on the bench such as Daka in terms of being such a serious goal threat, Trevor Benjamin? yes it was Trevor Benjamin :appl:.

I don't think Daka is a headache yet for Brendan considering Vardy's scoring rate this season, but I'd say, he is ready to come on at any point for us now and truly be able to change a game, it's a lovely plan to see progressing. 

As most have now spotted, Soumare is the one to watch, he's quality and this is a game made for him in terms of Brentford's intricate style of play, his intelligence will be crucial to unlocking their plan. 

I guess the final hope is that the back 3, if it is a back 3, have worked out who's doing what, this only works with Evans, so we can only hope he's able to play.

• Like 3

It’s a simple case of defending.

At the moment that’s our issue, we concede soft goals, United wasn’t an issue in that respect, Greenwood’s goal was a stunner and Rashford’s wasn’t great defensively, but it’s the kind of goal you can expect when you switch off against United. 

It worries me if Bertrand or Thomas have to play, because that’s a clear weakness, both let crosses on far too easily, and Bertrand has a horrible habit of playing people onside. They have huge threats on the wings, and Toney’s job is made easier by their relentless pressing, however.

They will leave space in behind, and with the pair of Vardy and Kelch they won’t be able to take their eye off them for a second, if we defend well we win the game, if we don’t we will lose or draw at best. I just hope Timmy is fit for this one, otherwise Rodgers may have to have a think about what to do. 

• Like 2

Was more nervous for this than Man Utd even before we kicked a ball on Saturday. It is a very Leicester approach to beat the scalp then lose to Brentford. :P But let's be real, the Bees are playing out of their skin and will be as up for this as they have any game so far. They were only stopped from getting something from Chelsea by an absolutely world-class goalkeeping display from Mendy. They're dangerous.

Score draw, this one. 2-2, because we always concede two.

• Like 2

Obviously am hoping for a win against them, but hope they continue to do well after this game and the return fixture.

Would much prefer them in this league; rather than Burnley, Norwich and Watford.

Edited by Wymsey

If they do like to lump it up top, that could work to our advantage IF we prepare well and can get our defence sorted. So Evans is essential.

Long ball games by definition create space in the middle, stretch the game, and we have players that can exploit that space - so long as we can handle any long balls in behind and recycle possession quickly. Can we risk a high defensive line against a team that will want to turn us, having us back peddling, if that's their natural game? 

22 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

If they do like to lump it up top, that could work to our advantage IF we prepare well and can get our defence sorted. So Evans is essential.

Long ball games by definition create space in the middle, stretch the game, and we have players that can exploit that space - so long as we can handle any long balls in behind and recycle possession quickly. Can we risk a high defensive line against a team that will want to turn us, having us back peddling, if that's their natural game? 

Brentford don't lump it , they often play very telling accurate long passes to forwards reading those passes. If we play too high a line, they will expose us, just like Rashford did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bptiger said:

So we don’t know if YOURI is fit to play , so who fills his shoes . Here’s a left field suggestion LOOKMAN , the boy has the skill can produce a pass , just not sure how long he could go for playing in the midfield, but to be honest we don’t have anyone else , that I or most on here would trust 

Dewsbury-Hall, perfect opportunity for him.

• Like 4

Think this game will be significantly more difficult than the Man U and Moscow games. 

Man U were too ‘big’ to consider changing their play to exploit our weaknesses. Brentford will look to press our back line which not only stops our build up but makes us panic and will draw out mistakes 

7 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Think this game will be significantly more difficult than the Man U and Moscow games. 

Man U were too ‘big’ to consider changing their play to exploit our weaknesses. Brentford will look to press our back line which not only stops our build up but makes us panic and will draw out mistakes 

I've a feeling we'll do to Brentford what we did to Leeds at Elland Rd last season. Leeds were getting brown nosed, left, right and centre and then we picked their press apart as they were too naive. I know we are in horrendous nick defensively but I think we'll dominate the midfield and allow the defence the security to be more confident on the ball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

One thing that goes in our favour is they don't sit deep and defend, they will have chance but so will we. 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've a feeling we'll do to Brentford what we did to Leeds at Elland Rd last season. Leeds were getting brown nosed, left, right and centre and then we picked their press apart as they were too naive. I know we are in horrendous nick defensively but I think we'll dominate the midfield and allow the defence the security to be more confident on the ball.

Oh yes - last season at leeds 

we went two up comfortably in the first half and then they stepped it up after the break. Scored out of nowhere and then hit the bar before we got control again later on.

could easily have been 2-2 and then how does that play out. 

fine margins at this level 

I would love to see us go 

Schmeichel

Ricardo.   Evans.       Soyuncu.   Castagne 

Soumare

Tielemans.                Maddison      

.   Iheanacho       Vardy.             Daka

Not very defensive i know but the pace and creativity in that side in my opinion is frightening. 

• Like 2

We’ve almost got two options in how to approach this game. Keep the 5-3-2 or revert back to the 4-2-3-1. 

Without N’didi I think the back 3/5 suits us more as we need his tackling in a midfield two. Also, if Evans is out for any reason, it gives Vestergaard some cover. Assuming everyone is fit I’d start the same team we started against Man Utd.

If we did revert to a back four then it might look something like:

Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne 

Soumare, Tielemans,

Lookman, Maddison, Barnes

Vardy

I don’t think this formation accommodates Nacho just like the 3 at the back doesn’t accommodate Barnes. You could also make an argument for Bertrand and Thomas in a flat four. 

Based on form of players we want in the side I’d stick to plan A.