Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Callum Doyle

Much better balance with Doyle on the left. His passing is much better than JJ, whether  short or long. He is stronger in the tackle as well.

To be fair JJ had a nice little cameo when he came in in the right and I prefer him further upfield and on the right.

• Thanks 1

Enzo said he was struggling with their winger, felt like an excuse to play JJ to me as he didn't seem to have any issues, if he's that worried by a lack of pace then drop Faes and play JJ on that side with Ricardo inverting from left back

I will be interested what the plan is for Doyle if we go up.

Clearly his lack of pace, in a defence that is lacking in pace overall, is an issue but in Enzo’s system (of playing out from the back and through the lines) he is pretty integral.

I wonder if the best option would be another season loan to see if he can cope with the increased standard of attackers.

Edited by JimmyC74

4 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Clearly his lack of pace, in a defence that is lacking in pace overall, is an issue but in Enzo’s system (of playing out from the back and through the lines) he is pretty integral.

I wonder if the best option would be another season loan to see if he can cope with the increased standard of attackers.

The fee Man City would want, we would not be able to justify with our current financial predicament, especially as he’s not been a regular starter at Championship level.

It’s a shame because there is a very, very good player in there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Enzo said he was struggling with their winger, felt like an excuse to play JJ to me as he didn't seem to have any issues, if he's that worried by a lack of pace then drop Faes and play JJ on that side with Ricardo inverting from left back

When I saw JJ warming up I was hoping it was to take Faes off because of the yellow card. How he starts week in week out baffles me. I didn’t think Doyle was playing particularly badly.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The fee Man City would want, we would not be able to justify with our current financial predicament, especially as he’s not been a regular starter at Championship level.

It’s a shame because there is a very, very good player in there.

Maybe you’re right (the cost of a further loan being too great).

I am sure we will make use of the loan market next season to make the finances stretch but with lots of positions to fill question is what will be the best use of our budget.

Edited by JimmyC74

2 hours ago, Jonaldinho said:

I thought he was struggling defensively yesterday and with the wind we couldn’t make use of his ability on the ball as much, hence the change. 

He was being targeted down our left, they got a lot of play in the first half.

With how highly we were pressing them back into their half, the pace of JJ was needed. We were also able to pen them in much better 

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We play through the lines against teams so much quicker and fluidly if Doyle is on the left. Teams cannot get their banks of players behind the ball as easily, I hope he comes back in again soon as Justin hasn't been very effective down that side for a few months now.

I thought we were better in the second half with Justin playing. Justin has been poor recently but he looked much better yesterday.

• Thanks 1

He's a CB playing as a LB. He hasn't got the pace to play there especially with Vesty next to him. We're a sitting target for the ball played over the top. I think he'd be fantastic playing as a CB next to someone like JJ, because he has an excellent range of passing.

• Like 1

Hard to say that he isn't a good defender as a CB. It is very different playing as a LB, as you're exposed one on one against quick, skilfull wingers in a way that you wouldn't be in the centre. I think many good CBs would find that very hard. 

7 hours ago, JimmyC74 said:

Looks likely we'll lose Vestergaard and in that case he'd be ideal to bring inside as the ball playing CB but it's whether we can afford him.

7 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

When I saw JJ warming up I was hoping it was to take Faes off because of the yellow card. How he starts week in week out baffles me. I didn’t think Doyle was playing particularly badly.

Didn't he want to leave but Pep (sorry, Enzo) convinced him to stay probably on the basis he would be a regular in the team???

7 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I thought we were better in the second half with Justin playing. Justin has been poor recently but he looked much better yesterday.

Totally agree thought we were much better when JJ came on and thought he had a good game 

Sounds harsh but he reminds me of Dean Lewington at MK Dons...very good left footed player who is brilliant on the ball but a lack of pace will always stop him from playing in the Premier League. 

In the long run i think Doyle will end up spending his career in the Championship/League one etc 

I'd love him to prove me wrong though.