Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Kelechi Iheanacho

5 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

If he does go we’ll all miss the unplayable Iheanacho at his purple patch best. I won’t miss his terrible first touch and how frustrating he can be. 

Only if we can get Piroe does it make sense, as I imagine we’d be better off after re: wages. What about Chair, if not Piroe, in the 10 position. Would that work alongside a new attacking RW and Daka up front? We’d then perhaps have enough creativity to release him up top. 

We don't play with a number 10 and Maresca clearly does not rate Daka at all, so I think this is probably a non-starter.

32 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

i just don’t get the Iheanacho hate. He creates opportunities in every match he plays in. He hit the post on Saturday, linked up play well and overall he has an excellent touch and technique despite the occasional mistake (that they all make.) He’s undoubtedly first choice under Maresca. Daka’s lack of hold up ability is obvious to the eye and that’s why Maresca doesn’t even bench him. He just doesn’t suit our new style of play whatsoever and can’t be seen as a justification for selling Iheanacho. If Iheanacho goes then we need someone with a similar creative ability to link play and create/score goals, not just a finisher. 

I'm not sure how that constitutes "hate", but no probs :dunno:  .. For me watching him it's always far more frustration than inspiration. All subjective of course, and wouldn't say it's anywhere near a hatred of the man. 

I just think it's more realistic to say he isn't, and IMO will never be a consistent 20 goal a season striker, I'd argue even at this level. Maybe he will come good in the Championship? I concede he is more capable than JV and Daka in the build up but as a striker you're getting judged on your bread and butter which is sticking the ball in the back of the net. 

What is a problem however, as we've seen, is turning our noses up at fees for players and allowing them to walk for free. Knowingly, as well by the looks of it. He isn't signing a new deal so why on earth wouldn't we sell if the opportunity to raise a fee arises? Especially one as high as being quoted at 15m?

35 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Why?

We currently don’t have another striker who can play the role he does.

I think we’re more likely to get promoted with him than without him, so a loss of £20m would ultimately be a financial gain.

That's part of the financial equation not enough people consider. Leicester's financial health hinges more on getting promoted this season than it does on selling players. If i am Rudkin - KDH, Nacho, Praet, etc. are going nowhere. I am not selling players that I know will reduce this team's season ending point total. If Nacho walks out the door in summer on a free after we get promoted, then the ends justified the means. It's no different than playing players on loan, which we are already doing.

Nacho is our best striker right now, and it's not particularly close. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Even if Iheanacho walks for free next summer along with many others and we continue to fail to move fringe players on for transfer fees?

Somethings got to give

I agree. But realistically how much are we getting for Iheanacho and how much would we need to pay for a solid enough replacement?

IMO, the difference would be a lot of money and I don't think we can realistically afford to only have Vardy and Daka. Maybe we could get a lucky loan but no realistic names spring to mind.

Think we're better off selling Daka. As much as I think he's ridiculously underutilised.

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

Jesus guys Palace is not a big draw.

Kel wouldnt go there he is at a bigger club and still viewed at a bigger club even in a lower league.

He won't sign for place no chance.

Close thread 

I thought this when we got relegated last time about Blackburn but Dickov still left us without a second thought. These players usually only think premier league 

10 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

What do we need more over the next 12 months in our promotion push, Iheanacho or £10milllion?

It’s Nacho all day long for me. 

I actually also think there is a strong chance he signs a new contract with us next summer if he helps get us promoted. 

A lot of people assume:

Iheanacho = promotion

No Iheanacho = no promotion

That is not necessarily the case in fact we could just as easily get promoted without him or stay in the division with him. Iheanacho will be worth nothing to us after AFCON and the January transfer deadline has passed. He's not that instrumental to the way we play that we'll be a much poorer side without him. Iheanacho is not a player we're actively trying to sell so you would think any offer would be substantial and worthwhile.

If offered £15m we'd be foolish not to take it, we can't keep letting saleable assets move for free, Iheanacho is not that good he's not replaceable. It's a good strategy for a club like ours to sell any player at their peak value and Iheanacho is not increasing in value at some point.

I swear there would be a sizeable minority on here who thinks we should have kept Maddison for his final season to "guarantee" promotion.

Selling Iheanacho means we can play hardball with Daka rather than take a paltry loan offer last day of the window. Maresca may not like Daka but he's still a £25m player in the Championship with decent pedigree, sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

A lot of people assume:

Iheanacho = promotion

That is not necessarily the case in fact we could just as easily get promoted without him or stay in the division with him. Iheanacho will be worth nothing to us after AFCON and the January transfer deadline has passed. He's not that instrumental to the way we play that we'll be a much poorer side without him. Iheanacho is not a player we're actively trying to sell so you would think any offer would be substantial and worthwhile.

If offered £15m we'd be foolish not to take it, we can't keep letting saleable assets move for free, Iheanacho is not that good he's not replaceable. It's a good strategy for a club like ours to sell any player at their peak value and Iheanacho is not increasing in value at some point.

I swear there would be a sizeable minority on here who thinks we should have kept Maddison for his final season to "guarantee" promotion.

Selling Iheanacho means we can play hardball with Daka rather than take a paltry loan offer last day of the window. Maresca may not like Daka but he's still a £25m player in the Championship with decent pedigree, sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Maresca gives the impression that he has no interest whatsoever in 'working with' Daka. Iheanacho is far from irreplaceable, but if he goes he will absolutely need to be replaced with a new signing. There's no way we're going to try to make do with Daka and Vardy.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

God that's depressing 

There's only 3 games gone and we've won them all, and we've only had 2 strikers involved, so it's really not depressing at all, and if you find it depressing I'd say you live a fairly sheltered life.

8 minutes ago, Gerard said:

A lot of people assume:

Iheanacho = promotion

I don’t see it as black and white as that.

However, Iheanacho is a proven goal scorer and currently our number 1 striker at the club. 

Replacing him for the likely fee we will get, is no easy task and I’d personally much prefer we keep him at this late stage in the window. 

Hope he stays, as he will score goals. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gerard said:

A lot of people assume:

Iheanacho = promotion

Iheanacho is definitely instrumental to the way Maresca wants to play, he uses both Ricardo and Iheanacho to create numerical advantages for us in the midfield. 

• Like 2

I find Iheanacho frustratingly inconsistent and lacking in pace. He’s no better than a mid-lower level Premier League striker in my opinion.

We are, however, now in the Championship and I think he’s probably as good as anyone we could get at this level. I can only see us getting a better player if we get very lucky with a young loanee or some gamble from another league or division. The pragmatist in me says it’s probably best to hold onto him if possible.

I actually like the approach of starting with Ian and then finishing with Vardy. Get Daka out and get someone as back up to those two would be my personal preference

• Like 2

Article doesn't make sense. He's been recognised as our favoured striker option in this system, and there's little time in the window left. No way he's available on a cut price deal.

I'm not averse to selling him if the right offer comes in, but it has to be conditional on having a replacement lined up and ready.

Far more lucrative to him to stay. Walk next year to wherever on bigger wages without the fee involved. Can't see him going. Stay, bag 20 goals and watch the bidding war ensue next summer when freebie.

Doesn't help us financially but as others have said, if he helps fire us back up it softens the blow.

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

His link up play in this system is miles better than Vardy and he makes things happen.

...the big issue with Nacho, according to @Lineker's Lugs is that he does not press as he should do!!!

Nacho is more suited to this style of play than the other strikers and best to be utilised as a false 9. He does seem under pressure to perform, I noticed that in the Northampton game and subsequent games, he has been making poor decisions due to the need to impress the manager.

He has the awareness and vision and needs to look to using that skillset rather than taking every opportunity to shoot at a goal when others are better situated. Barnes would say that Nacho would have been the best striker to work with, just as Michael Owen says Heskey was the best striker he played with. There is something another player brings which allows others to feed off more, Nacho needs to stop trying so hard, take the tension out of his game and look to bring in others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Top level league goals if he scores those numbers in the premier league then it's a decent season 

The quote said a half decent season in championship

So in championship I suppose what you are saying a decent season in championship is 30+ goals? 

Also he has had 2 half decent season in championship

2 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Far more lucrative to him to stay. Walk next year to wherever on bigger wages without the fee involved. Can't see him going. Stay, bag 20 goals and watch the bidding war ensue next summer when freebie.

Doesn't help us financially but as others have said, if he helps fire us back up it softens the blow.

And if he doesn't we've spunked another £15m up the wall again.

There has to be a balance of what he brings to us that is better than any other player in the squad or who we can buy bring and the cash. Keeping players until they run their contracts down and refusing big offers is not a feasible long term strategy, there has to be a balance. We can't keep spending hundreds of millions on players and no return.