Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

2 minutes ago, sishades said:

If he goes then we should consider Rosenior at Hull.  Destroyed Cardiff yesterday and plays a similar style.

I would prefer Carrick the job he has done at Middlesbrough has been commendable.

Love his passion. Shame about his robotic tactical decisions. The Birmingham and Bristol City  games were crying out for 2 up front. 
Baffling bringing Coady on for the last few seconds. Added another 30 seconds to a minute of time. Just glad they didn’t equalise. 

15 hours ago, sishades said:

If he goes then we should consider Rosenior at Hull.  Destroyed Cardiff yesterday and plays a similar style.

I hope not.

Sick to death of EnzoBall, the day can't come quick enough the owners also finally tire of it.    Well I can live in hope I suppose..  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lionator said:

One thing you have to remember is that he’s still playing with square pegs in round holes, given the rigidity/connection to his style. So a summer where we can specially recruit ballers (hopefully on sensible wages) will put us in a good position. 

It very much depends on recruitment. I've said before that Martyn Glover's track record is patchy and as a club I still think the profile of player we go for in the financial circumstance we have found ourselves in (or were heading for) is out of kilter. 

Enzo may well have his own targets but we've seen how badly that can go wrong before so a balance needs to be struck. We also cannot recruit players and get rid of players that leaves us significantly imbalanced - for example at full back. If Enzo does leave at some point then it hampers the successor.

It is in defence where the attributes of the players is key. It tends to cost a lot of money to get players that can play an inverted full back role as successfully as Ricardo and who knows if even he's good at it at a higher level. At centre half as well we need a player or two that is quick and exceptional on the ball, this requires masterful player identification and/or significant amount of money.

Finding dynamic midfielders and attackers shouldn't be as difficult and we'll have to be clever in our signings. I've looked at players out of contract across Europe this summer and it's probably the weakest array of players I've seen for some time. If funds are extremely tight then I do think we'll target the likes of Callum O'Hare and Harrison Burrows for two key roles. Miranda at Real Betis and Rafa from Benfica (we scout them a lot and have been linked with him in the past) would be ideal as well but wages might be a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I hope not.

Sick to death of EnzoBall, the day can't come quick enough the owners also finally tire of it.    Well I can live in hope I suppose..  

I’ll bite, genuine question. What is about the style of play that makes you sick of it? 

While maybe not to the exact same philosophy as Enzo, most managers play a level of risk reward football by baiting in the opposition and playing through the lines? Football has evolved, rightly or wrongly, even since we won the league. It’s not for everyone I agree, I get frustrated at times, especially when chasing a game but I understand that keeping the ball and trying to craft a chance has more potential to pay off than banging it high into the box hoping for scraps

And nearly everytime we’ve stepped on to a football pitch this season we’ve been met by a team playing a low block. Fast direct counter attacking football is impossible in those circumstances. 

He’s not perfect by any means, but it’s his first full season as a manager and he’ll be learning every week. Look at the togetherness on the pitch after the final whistle on Saturday. It’s been a long long time since we witnessed that, and that is worth its weight of gold for a football team

The fact people want to bin off this potential baffles me

• Like 3

Maresca: "My mentor told me a big truth. When rival pressures high, you have to attack quickly. When you get defended by a low block, attack slowly and patiently.”

11 hours ago, Big_Nige said:

I’ll bite, genuine question. What is about the style of play that makes you sick of it? 

While maybe not to the exact same philosophy as Enzo, most managers play a level of risk reward football by baiting in the opposition and playing through the lines? Football has evolved, rightly or wrongly, even since we won the league. It’s not for everyone I agree, I get frustrated at times, especially when chasing a game but I understand that keeping the ball and trying to craft a chance has more potential to pay off than banging it high into the box hoping for scraps

And nearly everytime we’ve stepped on to a football pitch this season we’ve been met by a team playing a low block. Fast direct counter attacking football is impossible in those circumstances. 

He’s not perfect by any means, but it’s his first full season as a manager and he’ll be learning every week. Look at the togetherness on the pitch after the final whistle on Saturday. It’s been a long long time since we witnessed that, and that is worth its weight of gold for a football team

The fact people want to bin off this potential baffles me

I guess it's a matter of aesthetics  if I'm honest. I'm a bit old school and old fashioned, and being entertained to me is as part of the matchday experience as well as the result. EnzoBall to me for the vast majority of a match is a boring snooze fest.  Any manager who would continue with a similar approach wouldn't have me jumping for joy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a hoof ball and feed off scraps, approach, but IMO we play too slow and too 'safe' with our pragmatic, methodical build up. It feels like we pass for the sake of it and passing back ( it feels like we are robotic and over coached to do this)  inviting pressure when sometimes a press forward would be the better option... Even just to catch the opposition off guard. 

I understand the technical aspects of why we play EnzoBall, but teams have learnt over the course of the season not to fall for the "move the opposition about" tactics, and have become more savvy.

Against Norwich we played with more verity, more tempo, more forward intent, a wider use of long and down the lines passing ( yes having Doyle and Ricardo playing did help, but they are only a cog of EnzoBall and others whilst less affect but as professional footballers should be able to do 'similar' I would like to hope) 

The EnzoBall lovers will claim the Norwich performance was EnzoBall in its quintessential, finest form and the system was  working perfectly. But they would wouldn't they ..I myself and a growing number disagree on that front.

Teams adopting a low block are a lot more patient to wait out our 'to me to you' pass fest, and they have to some degree learn not to chase and be pulled about.

So more Norwich matches and verity of play for me please.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I guess it's a matter of aesthetics  if I'm honest. I'm a bit old school and old fashioned, and being entertained to me is as part of the matchday experience as well as the result. EnzoBall to me for the vast majority of a match is a boring snooze fest.  Any manager who would continue with a similar approach wouldn't have me jumping for joy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a hoof ball and feed off scraps, approach, but IMO we play too slow and too 'safe' with our pragmatic, methodical build up. It feels like we pass for the sake of it and passing back ( it feels like we are robotic and over coached to do this)  inviting pressure when sometimes a press forward would be the better option... Even just to catch the opposition off guard. 

I understand the technical aspects of why we play EnzoBall, but teams have learnt over the course of the season not to fall for the "move the opposition about" tactics, and have become more savvy.

Against Norwich we played with more verity, more tempo, more forward intent, a wider use of long and down the lines passing ( yes having Doyle and Ricardo playing did help, but they are only a cog of EnzoBall and others whilst less affect but as professional footballers should be able to do 'similar' I would like to hope) 

The EnzoBall lovers will claim the Norwich performance was EnzoBall in its quintessential, finest form and the system was  working perfectly. But they would wouldn't they ..I myself and a growing number disagree on that front.

Teams adopting a low block are a lot more patient to wait out our 'to me to you' pass fest, and they have to some degree learn not to chase and be pulled about.

So more Norwich matches and verity of play for me please.  

I'm 99% sure all fans want to be entertained as part of going to watch their club. I know I do. I think it’s been hard this season because until very lately there’s been so little jeopardy, and I feel that has crept in and twisted the narrative to make it seem we’re quite boring. Norwich was exciting because it meant something, beating Shef Wed at a canter when 15 points clear is always going to be slightly boring.

I can get why people don’t like it, I’ve been frustrated on loads of occasions, but it’s easy to look at say Ipswich and how they are relentless and just go for it and think we should play in a similar gung ho fashion, but everytime I’ve watched them this season they aren’t facing 10 men behind the ball. In a way they are similar to us when we won the Prem. they dont have the same fear factor or respect of oppositions than we do, and thats not a slight on them, im jealous as it that means there’s more space to play high octagon football in. 

So we have to play in a patient manner, it’s frustrating at times, but we have scored some sensational pass and move goals this season even against the lowest of low blocks, and when we have had the chance to counter attack like Birmingham and Watford away it’s been devastating. If we go up it’ll be really interesting how it translates

Whether we go up or not I don't think he's the right man for the job, I don't think he knows what he's doing during a game, game nous and management is shocking. We keep saying it's ok if he learns, but he never does. Like for like subs every time, same thing over and over, why not change the system? If he does it's in the 88th minute and the game is already over.

The football is boring as well, but you can live with it if we're winning, but how are we gonna cope even if we go up?

Not using Coady or Albrighton whilst constanting picking Faes every game, I don't get it.

Regardless of what happens from here, I'm in the we need to get another manager in in the summer camp, regardless of how the season finishes.

What we've all witnesses tonight is an absolute disgrace, Enzo and the players should be ashamed. This squad is quality and we're making a right meal of it.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2024 at 09:06, davieG said:

Maresca: "My mentor told me a big truth. When rival pressures high, you have to attack quickly. When you get defended by a low block, attack slowly and patiently.”

Yeah it didn't work

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Didn't he say he'd walk if we didn't buy in to it?

Well, we ain't buying in to it...

Most City fans have. Vocal minority, as always, makes the problem worse. 

I genuinely think he’ll scrape us up, just. But there’s not a chance in hell this bloke has what it takes to be a Premier League manager. 

The arrogance is really starting to shine through now. 

• Like 2