Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

39th Premier League Game is back?

A US Premier League game would be wildly popular – and demean everyone
Aaron Timms
Fifa is considering a policy change that would allow leagues to play domestic matches overseas, reopening one of football’s most squalid ideas

The dream – or nightmare – of a 39th Premier League match in America has drawn a little closer. After reaching a settlement with US promoter Relevent Sports, Fifa last week signaled it will consider changes to its policy of blocking league matches from being played outside the league’s home country. The indication that Fifa’s thinking on the issue may be evolving in a more flexible direction will be welcomed by Europe’s top clubs and deplored by football traditionalists.

More here - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/18/premier-league-39th-game-chelsea-arsenal-manchester-united-america

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I can't see this ever happening in the next 10+ years.  I don't want it anyway would be a joke.

If anyone wants this then they really need to take a hard look in the mirror. Probably would be the American owned clubs that want this anyway 

Will never happen I'm sure

Edited by Trent Steel

It'll be interesting to see what EPL teams do. Imagine if a few clubs do this after killing off cup replays for the other 90% of league clubs.

Can totally see it happening. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Corky said:

Would never happen, the commitment to the environment is key to the league and it's clubs.......

I don’t think it’s happening anytime soon but I could easily see it in reality in 15-20 years time. 

The nation state as a concept is on pretty limited legs imo and dunno if it’ll see out this century. Easy to see sport being completely supranational by the 2nd half of the century 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Another step, after the wave of Americans investing in the English game (which isn’t getting anywhere near enough attention), towards a turn en masse to non-league for thousands of English football fans.

This. It's quite concerning how many have done so, I think the majority of epl have American investors and you've also got team further down the pyramid (Birmingham, Wrexham, Leeds, etc.). They don't want to wait for it grow in America, even with bringing in Messi, so they're just buying it from the most popular brand. The 39th game will eventually happen, most likely as a playoff like the NBA or NFL. After that the move will be to get rid of relegation and consolidate the franchises. 

7 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Another step, after the wave of Americans investing in the English game (which isn’t getting anywhere near enough attention), towards a turn en masse to non-league for thousands of English football fans.

It's something I mentioned years ago, having quite a lot of knowledge on soccer in the US it was pretty obvious to me what the Americans wanted. 

They wanted to have a huge stake in English and other European leagues to be able to flex their muscle...which they have.

They wanted European clubs to play competitive league games in the US which now the La Liga president stated they want within 2 years, they pushed for the expanded World Club Championships with MLS clubs which they got.  

Their ultimate goal is for MLS teams to be involved in some super league or for the scrapping of the European CL for a World Champions league.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Clubs and players, “we are playing far too many games”.

Our corporate masters “ ok but how about a lovely pay day for you all, a nice trip to the US of A, rather than some demeaning cup replay to pesky gillingham and their ilk”.

Clubs and players, “yeah baby £££££££££££££££”.

Fvck right off. 

It's the same clubs, managers and players which tour every summer like a circus of clowns in the US and Asia. I don't even care tbh. Make them play hundreds of games per season and drop like flies. They're destroying the sport every day in every single way. I have no sympathy at all. 

• Like 3

The NFL currently play league games here, and that’s set to increase over the coming years. NFL owners are now starting to take an interest in English football, and some are investing. We all say it won’t happen, but it will, it will only be a matter of time until Spurs start playing a couple of league games in the states. 

• Like 1

I'm not entirely against it..It's way more preferable than a closed shop super league elite. 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

The nation state as a concept is on pretty limited legs imo and dunno if it’ll see out this century. Easy to see sport being completely supranational by the 2nd half of the century 

Agree with this. I'd actually find it super interesting if regional leagues were formed, for example a Scots, Scandi, Irish league 

Dutch Belgian combined 

Eastern European polish, Czech, Hungary type league

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxmeister said:

Imagine getting relegated because your 39th game was against Man City and the team above you played Luton.

Did they ever get round to finding a solution to this obvious flaw the last time this was mooted?

1 hour ago, davieG said:

A US Premier League game would be wildly popular – and demean everyone
Aaron Timms
Fifa is considering a policy change that would allow leagues to play domestic matches overseas, reopening one of football’s most squalid ideas

The dream – or nightmare – of a 39th Premier League match in America has drawn a little closer. After reaching a settlement with US promoter Relevent Sports, Fifa last week signaled it will consider changes to its policy of blocking league matches from being played outside the league’s home country. The indication that Fifa’s thinking on the issue may be evolving in a more flexible direction will be welcomed by Europe’s top clubs and deplored by football traditionalists.

More here - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/18/premier-league-39th-game-chelsea-arsenal-manchester-united-america

Won’t be a 39th game.

will be a regular season game given up by the home team for big £££

think Chelsea

• Thanks 1