Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What floats my boat.....

Sticking a nice comfy 8 iron on to the middle of the green on the 18th and holing out for par in front of the members in the clubhouse. 

May have shot 101 but they’ll at least think I know what I’m doing. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Having my explanation of a scientific concept (viz, the start of the Universe) being compared to that of Professor Brian Cox.

Considering science communication in a similar way to his is something that I really want to be involved more in, I'm rather happy about that.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Having my explanation of a scientific concept (viz, the start of the Universe) being compared to that of Professor Brian Cox.

Considering science communication in a similar way to his is something that I really want to be involved more in, I'm rather happy about that.

Remember us plebs when you’re rich and famous Mac :thumbup:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/08/2020 at 13:09, leicsmac said:

Cool 👍

Things can only get better

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/08/2020 at 14:06, leicsmac said:

I doubt I'll become either and not sure I want the former anyway, but I do hope I'm able to help more people understand science if I can.

one of my all time favourite books is a short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson for exactly this reason.  It makes things like Quarks and Higg-Bosons really accessible and simple to understand!  It's one of those books i've read so many times, I've had to buy a new copy as the old one fell apart!

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

one of my all time favourite books is a short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson for exactly this reason.  It makes things like Quarks and Higg-Bosons really accessible and simple to understand!  It's one of those books i've read so many times, I've had to buy a new copy as the old one fell apart!

It's one of mine, too! And it inspires me to come up with similar work being able to communicate science in a way lots of people can get something out of.

Clear and effective science communication that is interesting and accessible is so important - for evidence of that, look no further than the Covid thread on here. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A genius song writer an all round legend of a bloke :thumbup:

Paul Heaton praised for 'lovely' Q Magazine gesture

Singer Paul Heaton has been praised for his generosity, after the final editor of Q Magazine revealed how he supported staff when the publication closed.

Writing on Twitter, Ted Kessler explained how the star made a large donation to the magazine, which was shared amongst 40 staff.

"It really was the most amazingly kind, selfless, generous act," he said. "For some, it meant a bill could be paid."

In thanks, the staff commissioned a Q Award to honour the star.

Receiving it on Friday, Heaton thanked the magazine for its support and the "kind words" about his donation.

"It was just meant to make sure people weren't left on their arse," he said in a video posted to Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54485919

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Tesco 'scan and shop'

Did it for the first time yesterday evening, what an awesome invention.

Scan and pack as you go round, see a running total on how much you've spent, one zap at the end and no queuing or fvcking about.

Saved loads of time. Brilliant  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Tesco 'scan and shop'

Scan and pack as you go round, see a running total on how much you've spent, one zap at the end and no queuing or fvcking about.

I'm sure there was a similar system several years ago but got abandoned for some reason. Asda do Scan and Go. Same thing.

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Tesco 'scan and shop'

Welcome to 2012 ;)

• Haha 3