Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

30 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

some of the AFC fans would still turn it around and say they played better and all that lark if we ever did tbh:rolleyes:

Arsenal fans are weird. That's one good thing about being down the bottom- you don't often encounter that set of self-entitled window lickers.

The only sides that I think would beat us convincingly are Juve and Bayern. Atletico haven't had quite the same intensity and resilience that they're known for this season, they'd still be favourites and probably beat us but they're more vulnerable than they were. Real and Barca would play into our hands, we probably couldn't live with their individual quality across both legs but I'd fancy us to score against them at least. Bayern have hit their stride and Juventus are the most balanced team in the competition. 

4 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the following post from Blue Moon;

"I have read that somewhere and the reason he was sacked was because the owners are scared of being relegated and probably losing a lot of money and told him to go back to PEDs. He refused hence he was sacked. Back on them and running around like Duracell bunnies again - how coincidental, not!"

A slightly more original theory on Ranieri's sacking than the incessant 'players not trying for him' rhetoric. Imagine being that much of a berk.

At least there were some thought that went in that post unlike of 99% of other posts mentioned in this thread!

Martin Keown in the Mail;

Who do Leicester most want to draw in the quarter-finals? Sam in Croydon

Dortmund are the weakest team but there isn’t an easy game now.

I have a funny feeling that they will pull out Monaco. The Wembley factor seriously hindered Tottenham against Monaco and Manchester City lost their last 16 match by trying to win it. I wonder if Leicester are best equipped of the three to beat them. They will be happy to defend and invite Monaco on.

Leicester are very much enjoying the momentum they are generating in the Champions League. They totally recaptured the emotion of last season in their second leg against Sevilla.

The hesitation that has crept into their play in the Premier League completely disappeared. It was as if the players had been restored to their former selves.

This competition holds no fear for Leicester. Many of the players will feel that this is their last chance to play in the Champions League and that brings out special performances.

It creates a superhuman effort in people. We do not see it with Arsenal in the Champions League because year upon year the players know they are going to qualify.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4319932/MARTIN-KEOWN-English-teams-struggling-UCL.html#ixzz4bW5nBZf0 

8 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Bayern, Real and Barca are the sides that will 100% beat us. There's no way that they buckle under the pressure we'll put on them and their strikers will definitely take their chances. I think we've got a chance against the rest.

Disagree myself, this team playing in the way it is stands a chance, albeit a small one, against anyone. I'd actually fancy us against Monaco, They'll come at us and can be found out at that back. Dortmund and atletico obviously very hard but vastly preferred to the other four which leads me to Juve who I think will just be utter kryptonite to us but I'd still be interested to see how it pans out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

The only sides that I think would beat us convincingly are Juve and Bayern. Atletico haven't had quite the same intensity and resilience that they're known for this season, they'd still be favourites and probably beat us but they're more vulnerable than they were. Real and Barca would play into our hands, we probably couldn't live with their individual quality across both legs but I'd fancy us to score against them at least. Bayern have hit their stride and Juventus are the most balanced team in the competition. 

Disagree with this, no way do we have more of a chance vs Real or Barça than the likes of Juve - not having that. Bayern would probably beat us but they're no better than either of the Spanish giants

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

22 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Disagree with this, no way do we have more of a chance vs Real or Barça than the likes of Juve - not having that. Bayern would probably beat us but they're no better than either of the Spanish giants

Barca and Real can be shakey at the back on occasion whereas Juve & Bayern are better defensively. 

I think we could get in there and mess up Juve with our pace and aggression. Obviously Madrid, Barca and Bayern would be the big names but also they terrify me. 

Monaco blow hit and cold, as do Dortmund. 

Atleti, also scare me. That would be a counter attackfest and I might die of a stress induded heart attack. 

Juve also my second team but I reckon we could ruffle them up 

• Like 1

Ideally,  Barça will draw Real or Bayern then one of them will be out, then the remaining 2 draw each other in the semi.

If we avoid these 3, with a hell of a lot of luck and and hard work, we could be heading for Cardiff in May!

This cup run is really reminding me of our league form last year. We were top in autumn and enjoying the ride, then Xmas and new year came around and people dared to dream, we couldn't, could we?

We've defied the odds before and shocked the world. I'm not saying we're going to progress that far, but it's genuinely possible. 

This would totally eclipse last season, we'd have completed football.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Barca and Real can be shakey at the back on occasion whereas Juve & Bayern are better defensively. 

Yeah OK maybe but they're not as good going forward and with the way we'll play (defensively) I'd rather play a team that are more inclined that way too so it's not just a bombardment of our suspect defence

• Like 1

I don't care who we draw to be honest, if we're gonna win this thing then we will have to beat the best eventually anyway. I'd be a little nervous before a game against one of the giants like Real Madrid though, but I would genuinely believe we had a chance of beating them. If you write this team off after everything that has happened then that makes you a prat, we can beat any team on this planet when we are in full swing, I'm sure of it. I think we can do it, most likely we won't but I definitely believe in the team and tactics we have. Our players are much better footballers then they are given credit for by most. For example, how Albrighton and Simpson constantly get overlooked by England every selection day baffles me to the point of anger. Our tactics are simply unplayable most of the time too and the best thing is that I don't think there is a counter tactic to the high press and we seem to flourish playing against possession based teams, which is nearly every top team in the world these days. Could play into our hands. 

7 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Bloody hell what's with everyone bumming Juve? Fact is, they get drawn against Bayern, Real or Barcelona, they are underdogs for a reason. We'd have a much better chance of beating Juventus than any of the other three teams.

Because the game is not all about who has the best reputation, if it is we might as well accept our fate now. Our game is less suited to juve than it is others, I'm not bumming them, I just think they will absorb our pressure more effectively. Atletico would be an interesting battle and I think we could give Monaco a hard game. I'd love to get Dortmund, a prestigious tie and a small but optimistic chance of getting through.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Bloody hell what's with everyone bumming Juve? Fact is, they get drawn against Bayern, Real or Barcelona, they are underdogs for a reason. We'd have a much better chance of beating Juventus than any of the other three teams.

I think Juve seem to be better set up to combat our strengths than a team perhaps more wedded to a philosophy which wouldn't change. Juve seem to have more intelligent defenders, a more thought out tactical approach to games and a midfield with power rather than technical ability. If you look at our games against Man Utd and City, City are a better side but weren't set up to beat us specifically like United were.

• Like 4

From a Bayern Munich fans forum.

Postby Outis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Originally voted Juventus (mostly because I want a repeat of 2013), then changed for Barcelona. Maybe I'm influenced by all this 'beatable Barca' optimism, but somehow I think they'll be easier to beat than Juve.

Teams I don't really want are Leicester and perhaps Monaco. These teams are considered easier but I'm worried about complacency, plus Leicester are dangerous on counterattacks (Monaco probably too), and this combination (complacency & counters) can prove lethal. A loss to Leicester would be humiliating, so I prefer no risk so to speak.

I prefer a 'weaker strong team' ...like Barcelona :) (specially that a win will be so sweet [revenge])
The worst would be to get BVB, cause one German club for sure will be out...

Barcelona are bobbins at the back and don't like being hustled and having teams get in their face. Juve are the epitome of calm and composed, they also have probably the best defenders and one of the best goalkeepers in the competition and we haven't become free scorers over night.

On paper, Manny is right, they're probably our kryptonite.

That said, Atletico are like a better version of us and Barça almost always beat them.

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

I have a feeling this morning we will get Real Madrid.

I heard from a good source that the first picker inadvertently shakes hands with someone prior to walking into the " balls room". That person has a solution on his hands that creates a magnetic force after two minutes. The balls have also been handled by the same person, 7 of them coated with a repellent, magnetic solution and one with the attraction solution on the Real Madrid ball.

You know what comes next!

16 minutes ago, crsleicester said:

I heard from a good source that the first picker inadvertently shakes hands with someone prior to walking into the " balls room". That person has a solution on his hands that creates a magnetic force after two minutes. The balls have also been handled by the same person, 7 of them coated with a repellent, magnetic solution and one with the attraction solution on the Real Madrid ball.

You know what comes next!

You sound like a Man City fan ;)