Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RizLCFC

Chris Wood

If there was one criticism I would level at the current management it would probably be the development of Chris Wood. Proved to be capable of 20 a season in the Championship and still very young. When he arrived it looked like the final piece of the puzzle, but he's regressed. Think a full season in the Championship would do him good (with option to recall of course). Fancy him Brighton?

He wasn't a bad signing, he's a good player, the potential is there. It's got nothing to do with injustice or bad management. It's just the simple fact that he's a young player who was signed, got injured and hasn't been able to win his place back and you can't sit him on the bench all season. A loan spell away is the right decision, let him play some football and review the situation next summer. If he's demonstrated improvement and potential we can look to bring him back in to the fold, whichever league we're in. If he looks a long way short of what we need, we sell him on and let him further his career, hopefully with no hard feelings.

If there was one criticism I would level at the current management it would probably be the development of Chris Wood. Proved to be capable of 20 a season in the Championship and still very young. When he arrived it looked like the final piece of the puzzle, but he's regressed. Think a full season in the Championship would do him good (with option to recall of course). Fancy him Brighton?

Our team regressed when he was in it half the time, so perhaps he just doesn't fit our style. We were flying last year also with two players scoring and contributing, his chances were limited.

Our team regressed when he was in it half the time, so perhaps he just doesn't fit our style. We were flying last year also with two players scoring and contributing, his chances were limited.

I agree to an extent. The form of Nuge and Vardy certainly limited his chances and we relied on pressing. I still feel we should have been getting more out of one of the better finishers at the club, especially as we would have created plenty of chances for him. Maybe he wasn't showing enough in training? Not having a go at the management here because they were pretty spot on last year, it's just if I were to nit pick.

Isn't Vardy currently in contract negotiations with us? Could well be someone trying to force through a more lucrative deal, I've every faith he'll sign with us though, seems to value Pearson / Shakey highly.

Re Wood : I think it's the perfect example of a player that could (and probably will) do better elsewhere but he's completely misplaced in the style we play, last season, at least. Considering we use him as a target man (through no fault of his own) his close control is weak and his aerial presence is non existent. He's a fantastic finisher, there's nobody I'd fancy more in a one-on-one situation at the club, but the way he's been used for us often means he's rarely in the positions to have that scenario ever occur, he seems to play very deep here.

If we can get a decent fee for him it'd be better for him and his career in the long run to chance his arm elsewhere, for me.

I'm disappointed that it's never really worked for him here but if it hasn't by now then when will it?

Even a loan out just seems a bit of a waste of time to me, he's done it loads of times before.

When Wood plays the rest of our team suffered

Our whole teams game was built around two forwards who chased every lost cause, gave every ounce of energy they had

This is reason why pacey Dyer leaving, replaced with Albrighton and arrival Ulloa concerns me.

It's not the change of players, it's the forced change of style on rest of the team

Anyway, back on topic hopefully just a loan but with Ulloa & Campbell arriving he's 5th in line for a start and 5th in line for 2 spots should be someone from the development squad, but because of Woods age a loan would be best for us & him

Albrighton and Ulloa just give us a different option. It doesn't mean Nige is going to completely overhaul our style of play, it just gives us a different option. We need someone who can whip in a good cross (Albrighton) and someone who will score headers and be a threat from set plays (Ulloa). Anyone who thinks we can go into every game in the prem, the same way as we did in the championship is very naive. Totally different oppositions and challenges in the prem and we have to have different options to be able to compete and that's what Ulloa and Albrighton bring.

Going back on topic, I'd be disappointed if we sold wood as he is still young and has potential. A loan move would suit both us and him cos he won't develop just playing the odd game here and there for us. Send him on a season loan and then if he's not good enough after that then sell him next summer

I don't think we play to his strengths enough, many many times we seem to play it up towards his head & chest, yet he is much better with the ball at his feet, his goal against Ipswich last season proved that. 

Play to his strengths we could get a lot out of him, but I feel Pearson wants that high priced striker signing & some Premier League experience up front in Ulloa & Campbell, while Wood hopefully just goes out on loan, can see him going Wolves.

Yeah but what exactly are his strengths? I'm not being facitious I just think that if a big tall fella isn't any good in the air then what else does he have to offer? Cos he’ll never be fast or really skilful – so he’s got to use what God gave him – which is his height and his strength. That’s the only way he’ll make a top player.

Occasionally he displays his strength (like his header against Yeovil or bullying the defender off the ball for his wonder goal at Burnley), but it’s too little too often.

Wood just looks like he’s too nice. He’s got the strength and the bulk, he should be intimidating defenders and taking a few elbows and losing a few teeth.

I hope he stays – but he needs to change his mentality if he’s to succeed at the top level.

Yeah but what exactly are his strengths? I'm not being facitious I just think that if a big tall fella isn't any good in the air then what else does he have to offer? Cos he’ll never be fast or really skilful – so he’s got to use what God gave him – which is his height and his strength. That’s the only way he’ll make a top player.

Occasionally he displays his strength (like his header against Yeovil or bullying the defender off the ball for his wonder goal at Burnley), but it’s too little too often.

Wood just looks like he’s too nice. He’s got the strength and the bulk, he should be intimidating defenders and taking a few elbows and losing a few teeth.

I hope he stays – but he needs to change his mentality if he’s to succeed at the top level.

That's not the type of player he is though, many many times he has looked uncomfortable when having the ball played to his head. 

He is the type of player, who likes to bring the ball down, have it at his feet, and run at the defence, as I said above his goal against Ipswich proved that.

That's not the type of player he is though, many many times he has looked uncomfortable when having the ball played to his head. 

He is the type of player, who likes to bring the ball down, have it at his feet, and run at the defence, as I said above his goal against Ipswich proved that.

Yeah I agree: he’s uncomfortable when the ball is played to his head. He prefers it at his feet.

The problem though is that he’s 6 ft 2 and nearly 15 stone!  So he’s never going to be make a Premiership career out of running at defences. He’s not as fast as Vardy and he’s not as skilful as GTF and he doesn’t have Nugent’s stamina.

So what has he got?  Not a lot really unless he’s prepared to work on his aerial game.

Archived