Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RizLCFC

Chris Wood

Must have a replacement lined up if this happens

Deeney's price will have gone up even more after yesterday.  Slimani is in a similar price bracket (£10m ?).  Delort is on the market again, after pulling out of a move to Charlton last week - a fee of around 2m Euros was provisionally agreed, but then Tours said they wanted another million (we might be happy to pay that) - and the deal might have actually been called off because of our interest ?

Sad. However, realistically he's fourth choice at Leicester, will not get that much time starting and he is a confidence player. Coming on with 20 minutes to go, expecting him to be a game changer has dented his confidence IMO. It's a difficult one - a loan would be ideal, but for him a fresh start at a Championship club has to be more attractive. You could see yesterday that Ulloa offers far more of a threat and is much better in the air and I just can't see the Chris Wood that is on the pitch at the moment doing that well in the Prem, unfortunately. 

Stupid stupid decision very disappointed buy ulloa for 8 mill raising to 10 mill then sell someone who is just as good just a little younger for 2 mill, one thing about Leicester we are shit at doing business to benefit our club we need to be like levy from spurs !!!

Clearly the man in charge doesn't think they are as good as each other.

Very pleased with this if true. I've rated him since his Millwall days. I knew he was never going to play for you again as soon as you got promoted as you were always going to spend money on new strikers. Obviously the Kenny Jackett link has helped get this one over the line too. I'll be very happy if the fee is £2m or less. 

Re: the "bomb squad" of Jamie O'Hara, Kevin Doyle and Roger Johnson. They're rumoured to be sitting on £130k+ per week. We just can't seem to even give them away! Even Floppychops Redknapp wanted Doyle but baulked at his wages. That's when you know it's bad!

To be fair to wood he's popped up with goals/assists when we've needed him, Knockaert vs forest to put us into the play offs, the goal and assist vs Burnley and was also influential in Dyers goal vs Bolton. I would've liked to have seen him stay but I don't see the point if we are trying to progress to where the owners want us to be, I think he has great potential as a championship striker but not in the premier league at the moment.

Very pleased with this if true. I've rated him since his Millwall days. I knew he was never going to play for you again as soon as you got promoted as you were always going to spend money on new strikers. Obviously the Kenny Jackett link has helped get this one over the line too. I'll be very happy if the fee is £2m or less. 

Re: the "bomb squad" of Jamie O'Hara, Kevin Doyle and Roger Johnson. They're rumoured to be sitting on £130k+ per week. We just can't seem to even give them away! Even Floppychops Redknapp wanted Doyle but baulked at his wages. That's when you know it's bad!

Getting Jackett in was a fookin shrewd move...

Stupid stupid decision very disappointed buy ulloa for 8 mill raising to 10 mill then sell someone who is just as good just a little younger for 2 mill, one thing about Leicester we are shit at doing business to benefit our club we need to be like levy from spurs !!!

we've made £1m profit on him, so not that bad!

Not surprised given it's Jackett. I might have preferred a loan deal also, but he hasn't developed since he arrived and first scored those goals. Granted he hasn't played every week, but he hasn't even scored in pre season with the chances he got. I do like Chris Wood though, he scored some good and important goals for us so I wish him the best. Might be a decent addition for Wolves at that level.

The only thing I worry about is depth. With Wood gone/going, we're left with Nugent, Vardy, Ulloa and Taylor-Fletcher as main players? I rekon we'd need another, all that has to happen is a player pick up an injury. In which, how's Vardy getting on?

Sad. However, realistically he's fourth choice at Leicester, will not get that much time starting and he is a confidence player. Coming on with 20 minutes to go, expecting him to be a game changer has dented his confidence IMO. It's a difficult one - a loan would be ideal, but for him a fresh start at a Championship club has to be more attractive. You could see yesterday that Ulloa offers far more of a threat and is much better in the air and I just can't see the Chris Wood that is on the pitch at the moment doing that well in the Prem, unfortunately.

Sums it up for me. Wanted him to succeed but for whatever reason it didn't work.

A replacement is needed, preferably Deeney.

That is piss poor in this transfer window. He is worth £5M in this window but otherwise £2.5M

think about it this way, he goes on loan for one season in the championship scores equal to deeney/McCormack, returns to our club with a value of the 2 mentioned above, but we'd rather buy unproven prem strikers for the value of 10 mill plus, I can just see this being terrible business, I trust NP but unless we have a replacement similar to woods age and 4x better I can just see regrets come the end of this season

Where has anyone said the agreed fee is 2 mill? 

I'd be minded to agree that we could probably get a bit more for him.

3 million or more plus a % of sell-on, or maybe even a buy-back option and it's good enough business for me.

think about it this way, he goes on loan for one season in the championship scores equal to deeney/McCormack, returns to our club with a value of the 2 mentioned above, but we'd rather buy unproven prem strikers for the value of 10 mill plus, I can just see this being terrible business, I trust NP but unless we have a replacement similar to woods age and 4x better I can just see regrets come the end of this season

Well, we haven't signed anyone for £10m+ yet and if your estimation is correct on Wood and a new player needing to be the same age and 4x better...then we are looking at having to bring in a £30m+ striker!?

I understand he has potential and is somewhat proven in the Championship but there could well be other factors in the move. Could Wood be happy with being 4th choice? Does Pearson see Wood as someone he wants around the dressing room if he isn't getting his own way? Have we already got another striker on the way in? We don't really know the answer to those questions but I would guess they have an impact on the decision to sell Wood.

Its not impossible that it's Wood who wants to go rather than us pushing him out. IF he doesn't fancy fighting for a first team place then it's best he goes.

I really like him, I think he has bags of potential but you have to wonder if there's a reason he will have been at 8 clubs by the age of 22.

He's clearly capable of being a top Championship striker. When we first got him, I think we were all convinced he'd completed the puzzle. He just couldn't stop scoring, and it looked like him and Nugent were telepathic. For whatever reason, we didn't see any more of that after the start, really. Mostly because Vardy won his place back, and him and Nugent kept Wood out the team. Another possible reason was that we often seemed to treat Wood like a target man when he played, when, despite being a big lad, he's not really an aerial threat, and is more of a poacher type.

He's got potential, which we've seen, to be a goal machine. You've just got to work out the formula to get that out of him.

Re: the Bomb Squad. Give Bolton a call. They took all our expensive reserves off us. They actually bought Matt Mills - an expensive signing who was average on the pitch, and poison off it, and Jermaine Beckford - another expensive signing who looked like he just couldn't be arsed most the time. I was sure we'd be stuck paying them off until their contracts ended. They also signed Neil Danns off us who was another average player on big wages.

Shame about Wood. We never even got close to maximising his potential. Would still have preferred a loan move with a permanent clause if necessary.

Presumably Deeney will now be our top target to replace him and at least, should a £2million fee be received, it gives us a bit more flexibility in trying bring him in seeing as Watford seem so intent on playing hard ball. Hopefully if. Wood does decide to leave we can then bring Deeney or another equally suitable replacement in within in a short space of time.

Think this week coming could be a busy one with Cambiasso looking close and Wood's move freeing up funds for another potential move.

Archived