Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Schmeichel vs Zieler

Kasper lost his head last night and I think Zieler has a chance of starting the season as #1.

Before the penalty, we saw Kasper Bitch at Chilwell twice after a PSG cross went out for a goal kick and when Chiwell headed an uncontested ball out for an easy corner.

I have sympathy for Chilwell as his eyes were back to the play and he was making a safe and easy play while Kasper was facing the play and should have given him instructions.

But what really annoyed me about Kasper one time when he had the ball to distribute he made a low hard drive to no one in what I thought was an attempt to relieve his own frustration while in fact just giving the ball straight back to PSG at the time when we were having the most trouble keeping possession. As a keeper that's an opportunity he has to influence the flow of the game and he did anything but that.

it made me laugh when the commentator on Sky mentioned Kasper's "fantastic" distribution, he then proceeded to put the ball out of play 6 or 7 times in a row.

re that Chilwell incident Ben did exactly the right thing, Kasper was coming out but he was a good 4 yards away at the time Ben had to make the decision

Kasper's distribution, the PSG game just brought it all back, absolutely terrible. Why can't we just roll the ball out!? Literally just giving the ball back and against quality opposition in Europe they'll make us pay.

Dunno why/how Zieler didn't feature for at least half hour.

How many of you have actually seen Zieler regularly play other than youtube clips and 45 min the other day? I think some people just want Schmeichel to fail, wasn't that long ago people were seriously suggesting Ben Hamer was a better option. 

You can sugar coat it all you like tbh, Kasper has been well off the boil this pre season. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if he was dropped.

Not that I want him to fail at all, been great for us. Just not had a very good pre season

It's interesting how much less patience i've had with Kasper in Pre-Season compared to previous years, the wonders of having decent back up!

Kasper kicking wise from a standing start isn't great, we know that. But his awareness and throwing is incredible and underestimated when it comes to how important it was in creating chances last season. 

I suppose either way it's not the worst situation is it, they can both have a run, and when one hits a bad patch, the other steps in. That's how it should be, we've just never been lucky enough to be in that situation as fans before lol 

Seems too much and too long if true

Leicester star Kasper Schmeichel on the brink of agreeing new £100,000-a-week five-year contract

By Charles Sale for the Daily Mail09:30, 03 Aug 2016, updated 09:30, 03 Aug 2016

36BE4FAA00000578-0-image-m-5_14702126003
  • Kasper Schmeichel starred in Leicester's Premier League title triumph 
  • The champions are set to reward him with new £100,000-a-week deal 
  • Schmeichel, 29, has been offered a five-year contract by the Foxes 
  • He will join Jamie Vardy as the highest paid player in the club's history 

Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is set to join striker Jamie Vardy as the highest paid player in Leicester City's history.

The Premier League winner is close to agreeing the £100,000-a-week deal that kept Vardy at the club, although Schmeichel has been offered a five-year contract compared to Vardy's four.

Claudio Ranieri, despite losing midfielder N'Golo Kante to Chelsea this summer, is looking to keep hold of the star players who helped the club secure a memorable top-flight title triumph last season.

Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is close to agreeing new £100,000-a-week deal
Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is close to agreeing new £100,000-a-week deal
Schmeichel, pictured in pre-season duty with the Foxes, has been offered a five-year contract
Schmeichel, pictured in pre-season duty with the Foxes, has been offered a five-year contract

SCHMEICHEL STATS 2015-16

Appearances: 38

Clean sheets: 15

Minutes per goal conceded: 95

Goals conceded: 36

Saves: 99

Save percentage: 73.3

Premier League stats only 

And after Vardy snubbed interest from Arsenal to commit his future to the King Power outfit, the Denmark international looks set to follow suit.  

Schmeichel, son of United legend Peter, kept 15 clean sheets as the Foxes stunned the football world to win the Premier League.

He also finished the season as the only goalkeeper to play every minute of every Premier League game.

The 29-year-old has two years left of his current deal and can point to how the Foxes' amazing run to the title began when he was restored to the side 10 games from the end of the 2014-15 season.

Only a Cesc Fabregas penalty at Chelsea in the last match of the 2015-16 campaign stopped him adding to his record of 20 clean sheets in 48 matches since.  

Ranieri's Premier League champions will now reward the Denmark international for his performances with a bumper new deal.

Schmeichel is set to join Jamie Vardy (pictured) as the highest paid player in the club's history
Schmeichel is set to join Jamie Vardy (pictured) as the highest paid player in the club's history
Claudio Ranieri's Premier League champions will now reward him with a bumper new deal
Claudio Ranieri's Premier League champions will now reward him with a bumper new deal

I'm ready to return to playing on the wing... Theo Walcott makes U-turn on striker ambition to keep...

We can't win with some fans, if Kasper had said he wanted to leave and join Everton there'd be uproar yet because we've a new backup goalie come in who looks fairly handy then suddenly Schmeichel is surplus to requirements and shouldn't be given a new deal? £100,000 a week is a lot but he's been phenomenal for us in the last couple of seasons and deserves to be rewarded for what he'd done with us.

Come on guys do you not remember the days of Chris Weale letting in any shot outside of the box. I think we've been spoilt with Kasper as he has been a fairly reliable and steady keeper for so long. I won't mind if Zieler is good enough to replace him but I think people forget how many terrible keepers we have had in the past. 

29 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Anyone who thinks Kasper was anything short of superb last season wants their heads checking.

I think people would generally agree he was great last season. I think it's his current pre-season form that has people slightly worried. 5 years is quite a commitment to make at those wages, especially if his form has indeed started dipping.

We're Champions of England, have two great keepers and you lot are still moaning. Don't you remember the days of Kevin Pressman? Rab Douglas? Paul Henderson? Ricardo?

100K a week is steep, but it's not your ****ing money. The Thai's know what they're doing.

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

I think people would generally agree he was great last season. I think it's his current pre-season form that has people slightly worried. 5 years is quite a commitment to make at those wages, especially if his form has indeed started dipping.

lol

Yeah lets ignore how great he has been for the best part of 15 months because he's had two iffy performances in games that mean the square root of **** all.

1 hour ago, MarkDeVirus said:

We're Champions of England, have two great keepers and you lot are still moaning. Don't you remember the days of Kevin Pressman? Rab Douglas? Paul Henderson? Ricardo?

100K a week is steep, but it's not your ****ing money. The Thai's know what they're doing.

Hi Kasper.

Welcome to FT.

1 hour ago, FireFox said:

100k for a top goalkeeper isn't outrageous, but if Zieler ousts Kasper this year, then surely Zieler will demand a huge contract next summer.

it isn't but I wouldn't put Kasper in the same class as the top keepers like DDG, Lloris, Neuer etc, £100k a week for Kasper is too much IMO

For me, Kasper is our number 1, for now. 

Agree on the points being made about him being worth £100k/week. I'm sure that is all in, not base. He does bring a lot to the team in terms of leadership and composure. I still think he is improving and a lot of the mistakes are as a couple of people have said, linked to him losing his rag a little and getting over zealous. Gotta remember though, his dad was the same. He's still only 29, so hitting his prime, a lot of which will be maturity. 

He needs to improve his marshaling of the back four more and be more constructively vocal to them, and then not go mad when they play safe. Also, he is atrocious at free kicks. How many do we let in? 

Kicking I'll forgive as he does make a lot of chances with kicks and throws to the front two. Goal kicks are weirdly worse. He does need to chill out a bit and mix it up or calm us down when needed though. 

All in all, he is a very good keeper and still improving. The leadership he brings is key. 

Sorry for long post! 

Archived