Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Confirmed: Ranieri new manager

I just hope we can keep shaky and Walsh but no chance now

Didn't one of the ITK on here say that the owners were keen to keep the two of them? I imagine if that's true it's already been talked about, and was Walsh with Chelsea at that point or not?

LEICESTER CITY CONNECTIONS 
Robert Huth: The Leicester City defender was signed by Ranieri for Chelsea in 2001 and given his first team debut shortly afterwards at the age of just 17. 

Steve Walsh: Before his current role as Leicester City’s Assistant Manager and Head of Recruitment, Walsh spent 16 years working for Chelsea as a scout, with four of those during Ranieri’s time at the helm. 

Esteban Cambiasso: The Argentine midfielder played for Ranieri in the Internazionale midfield during the Italian’s spell in charge from 2011-2012. 

AS Monaco: As recently as 2013 Ranieri brought his AS Monaco side to King Power Stadium for a pre-season friendly. Radamel Falcao scored the second goal in a 3-0 win for the visitors. 

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/in-profile-claudio-ranieri-2544665.aspx#WA4dbSoMUCJHvWBw.99

That last one is barely a connection lol lol lol

I'm neither excited or disappointed by this. He has managed much better clubs than us and we are a totally different type of club too.

My main worry is where we are going as a club, I don't want massive upheaval of the playing squad. Hopefully he brings a sensible approach.

Welcome Claudio, I'm glad we getting along with planning for the season now.

An article from last year on Ranieri.

A country in as much of a financial meltdown as Greece could do worse than ask new national team manager Claudio Ranieri to give its government a hand balancing the books.

Ranieri has been appointed the new manager of Greece as they turn to the former Chelsea boss to lead the team into a new era.

Once thing is for certain, whatever the highs and lows of his football career, the crafty Italian rarely finishes out of pocket.

Sacked by Chelsea in 2004, the 62-year-old has, by conservative estimates, banked a cool £10million in compensation pay-offs from four clubs in 10 years.

When Ranieri was given his marching orders by Roman Abramovich in 2004, he still had three years on a deal at Stamford Bridge which should have earned £2m-a-year in salary payments.

He stood accused of over-rotating his squad, and picked up the nickname of the ‘Tinkerman’, but his period in charge saw Chelsea finish second in the Premier League and reach the semi-finals of the Champions League.

It was not enough for Abramovich, who was ready to pay handsomely to get rid of Ranieri for what he considered failure. But Chelsea’s scheduled compensation bill was drastically cut to around £1m when their former boss walked into a new job replacing Liverpool-bound Rafa Benitez at Valencia.

Within eight months of taking charge of the Spanish champions, he was on the look out for a new job yet again and about to bank another hefty bonus for winning nothing.

The decision to axe Ranieri, taken at a panicked board meeting following the club's shock elimination from the UEFA Cup by Steaua Bucharest, was a costly one.

He walked away with a cheque believed to be worth more than £4m, which allowed the luxury of two years off before taking his next job.

His self-imposed period in the wilderness ended with his return to management at Parma, who, against the odds, he led to Serie A safety at the end of the 2006-07 season.

After being at the club less than five months, though, he resigned to take over one of the biggest jobs in world football at Juventus.

His first season in charge was relatively successful, guiding them to third place a year after they had been rocked by the Italian match-fixing scandal.

But his second campaign was dire, leading to his dismissal after an emergency board meeting despite having a year to run on his original three-year contract.

Ranieri was due to receive his final year’s salary in one lump sum because a clause in the contract covered such an eventuality.

When his legal team threatened court action in a bid to force Juve to stump up the cash, the two parties agreed a cut-price compromise deal which saw him grab around £1m.

By the start of the following season, Ranieri had switched allegiances - and paymasters - to Roma.

A familiar pattern emerged; a bright start and a disappointing finish. His resignation by mutual consent followed after a string of miserable results in February 2011.

Remarkably, despite his average record as far as silverware is concerned, Ranieri is never short of offers from the biggest clubs when out of work.

Internazionale were next to gamble on the man who invariably delivers so little yet costs so much.

The parting of the ways was inevitable, but few could believe he was shown the door after just six months in charge.

He had been under intense pressure after a run of just one win in 10 matches left the club languishing in eighth place in the league table and struggling for European qualification.

Ranieri’s ill-feted reign came to an end in the aftermath of a painful 2-0 defeat against his former club Juventus, Inter’s ninth reverse of that season.

Never down for long, Ranieri fancied a change of scenery and left his homeland in May 2012 to work among the yachts and millionaires of Monaco.

He can argue a good case for success on the French riviera, leading the club to second in Ligue 1 and securing a Champions League spot after clinching promotion in his first season.

But after failing to beat Paris St Germain to the championship, the decision was made to call him the proverbial taxi in May this year. The bill is believed to be around £3m.

Please explain.

Just look at his winning ratio and ask any other club fans that have had him as manager- apart from Chelsea he did OK there but again has loads to spend. Sven mk2. I hope I'm wrong though but an elderly foreign coach at a bottom half club rarely works out

Leicester City Vice Chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “It is my great pleasure to welcome Claudio Ranieri – a man of remarkable experience and knowledge that will lead us into the next phase of our long-term plan for Leicester City.

“His achievements in the game, his knowledge of English football and his record of successfully coaching some of the world’s finest players made him the outstanding candidate for the job and his ambitions for the future reflect our own.

“To have attracted one of the world’s elite managers speaks volumes both for the progress Leicester City has made in recent years and for the potential that remains for the Club’s long-term development.”

Claudio Ranieri said: “I'm so glad to be here in a Club with such a great tradition as Leicester City. I have worked at many great clubs, in many top leagues, but since I left Chelsea I have dreamt of another chance to work in the best league in the world again.

“I wish to thank the owner, his son and all the executives of the Club for the opportunity they are giving me. Now I've only one way for returning their trust: squeeze all my energies to getting the best results for the team.”

Having met the Leicester City squad on Monday afternoon, Claudio will oversee his first training session on Tuesday morning – assisted by Craig Shakespeare, Steve Walsh and the existing City backroom team – and will remain with the group for the remainder of their training camp in Bad Radkersburg.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/leicester-city-appoint-claudio-ranieri-as-first-team-manager-2544745.aspx#vSPbc2zh97VOzp7y.99

Chelsea played some good football with him before he was sacked but he's not won a game with Greece in about 5 years haha

He joined Greece last year and only played 4 matches... His last club job was a 2nd place Ligue 1 finish with Monaco after getting them promoted again, albeit with a lot of money

Thank **** for that!

Whilst being cautious about the appointment, at least the endless speculation is over, its not Prekki and we've got a manager who has managed in the PL and in all the top leagues in Europe

Good luck Claudio

Pretty pleased with this. Time to get behind the new manager and the team and stick with them all season, just like we did with Pearson, and lets hope for another strong season with Ranieri continuing his predecessor's good work! 

Cambiasso next please!

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, don't think he'll be as good as Pearson was for us.

Will support him though I guess.

Christ. Get over it mate.

If you want, go and support the club Nigel Pearson next manages if that's where your priorities are.

Archived