Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Arsenal Post Match Thread 2 - 1

Unlike some I actually feel Ranieri made good substitutions.

The Mahrez one was very borderline as he could make something out of nothing, could draw a foul to get you up the pitch, and is the most calm player under intense pressure out of those remaining on the pitch. He certainly wasn't happy about it! But to tracking back I can understand that change.

But Okazaki off I agree with. He was looking tired and when you need someone to potentially hold the ball up on the rare occasion you would get upfield I felt Okazaki isn't the man for that, as his decision making today as to when to hold it up or vision to find a pass wasn't on form. He certainly looked laboured to me. Just as a side note what's the general consensus here....would you have preferred Ulloa to Okazaki in support of Vardy?

Wasilewski I thought would be a strong choice, but Morgan would have been better suited to RB, but you can't change the Huth Morgan partnership mid game against Arsenal!

So so gutted with this result. 

Mahrez penalty: he shouldn't be going down that easily. He'd absolutely done him. Had to continue and pass it there. Technically there is contact, but that contact needn't have put an end to that attacking move. Mahrez has gone shopping trying to buy it.

Gray did well fairly well actually but how young does he look! Did fantastic to take it off the toe of was it Giroud when it looked a certain goal.

Vardy, it makes me laugh how he just doesn't challenge for aerial balls 90% of the time! He just prefers to mop up after letting the defender do what he's gonna do. It's clever sometimes but looked lazy when I first watched him this season!

(Hope you guys don't mind me chatting here with you. I did create a thread over at the Utd forum...without much chatter as could be expected!)

The ref may as well have had a red shirt on second half!

He gave us absolutely nothing in the 2nd half, and the second yellow for Simpson was unbelievably harsh.

If that had been an Arsenal player who was on a booking, and pulled someone back, he would not have sent him off.

Sadly i think the moaning Arsenal fans and players, actually got into his head at half time, and he completely changed the way he was refereeing the game.

The point is, there were pull backs all over the pitch that weren`t even given as free kicks, yet with Simpson he deemed it was not only a free kick, but worthy of a yellow card, extremely harsh.

I honestly think had we stayed 11 v 11 we would have gone on to win the game, which makes it all the more annoying.

Don't think we can say the ref made an absolute howler, but the red was exceptionally soft and he clearly bowed to fan and player pressure.

Having said that, stupid from Simpson to make a challenge like that when on a yellow and stupid from Wasyl to give that free kick away.

the game doesn't need much analyzing. We were winning before the ref gave into horrible abuse from Arsenal fans. However what DOES need analysing is Arsenal.

You hear of legendary hostile stadiums where players fear to go - Arsenal's atmosphere isn't a nasty place to play for opposing teams, but my god it must be awful to referee. It is toxic. Toxic for their team, toxic for the opposing team, toxic for the officials.

To sit there and boo EVERYthing the referee does which isn't in Arsenal's favour was so tiresome and genuinely difficult to endure as it was pathetically childish. But credit to them - it worked. The ref completely bottled it.

He gave a perfectly clear cut penalty in the first half which through the Arsenal fans eyes was a dive. In the first 10 mins of the second half he gave 4 bookings and sent one of our players off. Suddenly-the booing stopped. I see there's been another thread titled 'cheated out of it' and I'm not sure I agree with it. I just think that the referee completely gave in today and today's call has completely changed the title race - as surely even the most bias arsenal fan would agree that with a full defence and 11 men on the pitch - there was no chance of us conceding twice.

The referee didnt cost us anything.

Drinkwater nicked the top of the ball and followed through as hard as he could on Ramsey with intent

Simpson gets booked and then very next attack hes involved in yanks one of their players back and gets another yellow card

Straight after the red card, Kante wipes out a player.

Wasyl deliberately jumps into their player leading to a goal.

I still maintain there was a lack of discipline today, and a rashness to us.

We defended well and kept good concentration and shape, but players have to be responsible for their own actions.

Quieten the crowd down would be one tactic, at times there was some seriously agricultural play.

he's not played much of a part this season and now the one big part he has played is being an idiot, costing us 2 points, conceding our 5 point cushion and massively conceding momentum to our nearest rivals. all for something so incomprehensibly unnecessary.

I love Was but the sort of thing he did today is always going to cost us eventually. Just idiotic I'm afraid.

Then again our basics of defending went out the window in the final part of the game. We went from winning every header to them just chipping nothings balls into the box and getting their heads on it every time. The pressure killed us and we looked knackered well before the end.

But if he doesn't do that we see the game out. Inevitable he will get some stick, as should Simpson for his stupid challenge.

True but that defeat is hard to swallow. Being that close to getting something out of the game and for it to be taken away with literally the last kick of the game is heartbreaking.

On to the next one.

Losing cup finals is heartbreaking; losing the play-off the way we did at Watford was heartbreaking.

Losing narrowly, for only the third time this season, a result that still sees us two points clear, is merely disappointing.

Near to tears losing to these moaning, whining cheating cvnts and their scummy fans.

And what was Wasa doing?

Couldn't agree more and I commented on it during the game. They never stopped pressuring the referee on everything.

It was so ironic that having had a strong shout for a second penalty we're reduced to 10-men and a fabulous game was ruined.

I wasn't impressed with our changes or our tactics during the last half-hour.

Mahrez only needed another one or two chances to attack their box and they could well have been pacicked into another mistake.

Was was an understandable change but I'd have prioritised trying to limit the supply into the box by keeping Ozil and Walcott as quiet as possible. Hindsight is fine but it was no surprise in the cirumstances to see Was giving away and unnecessary foul in such a dangerous position allowing master deliverer Ozil the chance to show his craftsmanship with a delivery into the one area we were seriously vulnerable.

That said even I'd probably have accepted 9 points out of the last 12 and even the disappointment of the result doesn't reflect the truth that with 11 v 11 we seemed to be winning so many of the 50-50 balls and had largely nullified the Arsenal threat.

I'm surprised the Premiership don't allow Arsenal to make decisions instead of bothering to pay a referee because they seem to want to play the game and control the decision-making. It wasn't isolated incidents it was all the time and I'd even go as far as to suggest there was a major effort to force a sending off right from the off with the way they rolled around so dramatically.

If our bloke had done that when he was pushed to end an altercation perhaps we could have contrived the same thing but no, I wouldn't have condoned it. I'd rather we failed to win the title than go down that road.

Don't really get moaning about the ref. A couple questionable calls for both sides but he was generally fine imo.

If we were going to lose, it's the most acceptable way to do it in. Played well 11v11 and battled with ten men but just lost out. It means the hype train can move on to North London for a couple of weeks while we rest and recuperate and await Norwich and West Brom at the KP.

It's still on. Arsenal are the biggest bunch of precious, moaning bastards ever and Kante is the best player in the world.

the game doesn't need much analyzing. We were winning before the ref gave into horrible abuse from Arsenal fans. However what DOES need analysing is Arsenal.

You hear of legendary hostile stadiums where players fear to go - Arsenal's atmosphere isn't a nasty place to play for opposing teams, but my god it must be awful to referee. It is toxic. Toxic for their team, toxic for the opposing team, toxic for the officials.

To sit there and boo EVERYthing the referee does which isn't in Arsenal's favour was so tiresome and genuinely difficult to endure as it was pathetically childish. But credit to them - it worked. The ref completely bottled it.

He gave a perfectly clear cut penalty in the first half which through the Arsenal fans eyes was a dive. In the first 10 mins of the second half he gave 4 bookings and sent one of our players off. Suddenly-the booing stopped. I see there's been another thread titled 'cheated out of it' and I'm not sure I agree with it. I just think that the referee completely gave in today and today's call has completely changed the title race - as surely even the most bias arsenal fan would agree that with a full defence and 11 men on the pitch - there was no chance of us conceding twice.

Very good post. I was in the Arsenal end and all they do is moan and crticise their own players. Glorious stadium they barely deserve. We were the better team frankly and they seriously lacked inventiveness. Frankly hope they don't win it.

Very very proud of the team and our fans were great. I was set in the opposing corner to them. Loud and proud. Good work one and all

Referee was useless.  Vardy should'nt have been given a penalty and Danny Simpsons second yellow was very soft.  It felt as though the ref was trying to make ammends  Not the result we were looking for but we fought admirably. Easier games to come now 

Proud of the lads today.

Didn't like Welbeck and Chambers? completely unmarked for the winner.

Most shaky I've seen Fuchs in sometime but level of opposition was prob down to that.

Oh yeh. I hate to say it but I just knew Arsenal would score from that free kick, not just because of sods law, but because of the way that defensive line was set up against an Ozil delivery from the right side. I do think that was very very poor defending tbh. There was no way the defenders were going to be able to stay with the runners and it came as absolute no surprise to me to see two of the defenders yards behind their runners. That goal is 85% Wasilewski stupidity and 15% poor defensive setup.

I love Was but the sort of thing he did today is always going to cost us eventually. Just idiotic I'm afraid.

Then again our basics of defending went out the window in the final part of the game. We went from winning every header to them just chipping nothings balls into the box and getting their heads on it every time. The pressure killed us and we looked knackered well before the end.

But if he doesn't do that we see the game out. Inevitable he will get some stick, as should Simpson for his stupid challenge.

yeah I just accidentally watched the winner again and our defending is horrific. like the good old days of set piece defending that.

I don't think it was a booking cos he wasn't really going anywhere, but he pulled him back so obviously that he was always risking it, especially as the referee would have been desperate to even things up after giving the penalty. You've got to use common sense and not do things like that so that the referee has a decision to make.

Drinkwater could have easily gone as well.

Pointless blaming the referee, we made silly schoolboy errors and that's the difference in big games like these.

For those telling everyone to chill the flip out... You're right. But given the nature of the defeat, As far as I'm concerned people are allowed to lose their heads for a minute; Arsenal for me represent everything that is EVIL.

They're no Spurs or Chelsea.

was there anything that giroud didn't appeal for at the top of his voice. absolute disgraceful was some of his appeals

Absolutely. I suppose I'm glad he didn't score and that Schmeichel won that battle. But he's such a ****. Ramsey too. And Sanchez rolling forever like he'd just been pushed down Everest. **** mk2

We were brilliant again today and the reason we made a couple of errors is because the only way we can mix it at the top is to play like every second is the most important of the season. If that means a sending off and a silly free kick every 20 odd games I'll take that. Fantastically proud of the boys and we can do this

Archived