Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Premier League Season 2016-17 Stuff it in here.

For the record, people laughed at Bournemouth signing Josh King because he'd scored 8 league goals in 90 appearances in the championship. His record in the championship is 3x worse than Iain Humes was for us, and him being signed by a prem side when he left us would have been laughable.

7 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Josh king is neither Amazing or Shite he's mediocre. We should be targeting for better than him. If not we're just as bad as the pundits telling us bottom half relegation is our level and we shouldn't have ambitions.  Currently in the form of his life and still really isn't all that. 

In fairness though I'm sure plenty of people on Foxes Talk would have said that Marc Albrighton, Danny Simpson, Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan and Danny Drinkwater were 'neither Amazing or Shite' but mediocre when we signed them and they're all now Premier League winners. Players don't have to be world beaters on paper if they're talented, fit the system we play and work hard. Our 'unambitious' signings have proven to be much more influential than the ambitious signings we made this summer.

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Should we open a Josh King thread? :ph34r:

Good idea !   What about a Josh King's performances for Nigeria in the AFCON thread?  That should fill pages of insane garbage.   

10 hours ago, Mark_w said:

In fairness though I'm sure plenty of people on Foxes Talk would have said that Marc Albrighton, Danny Simpson, Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan and Danny Drinkwater were 'neither Amazing or Shite' but mediocre when we signed them and they're all now Premier League winners. Players don't have to be world beaters on paper if they're talented, fit the system we play and work hard. Our 'unambitious' signings have proven to be much more influential than the ambitious signings we made this summer.

To put those players in the same bracket as Josh King is nonsense. When we signed those players, Albrighton & Simpson already had decent PL experience, Morgan had been named in the Championship team of the year for each of the previous 3 or 4 years, so was widely regarded as one of the best defenders outside of the PL, everyone could see Kasper had potential and it was a shock we got him for the price we did, and Drinkwater was held in regard as one of the best midfielders in the league. To liken them when we signed them to Josh King is a lazy comparison and a huge disservice to their ability and regard at the time.

Just now, Darkon84 said:

To put those players in the same bracket as Josh King is nonsense. When we signed those players, Albrighton & Simpson already had decent PL experience, Morgan had been named in the Championship team of the year for each of the previous 3 or 4 years, so was widely regarded as one of the best defenders outside of the PL, everyone could see Kasper had potential and it was a shock we got him for the price we did, and Drinkwater was held in regard as one of the best midfielders in the league. To liken them when we signed them to Josh King is a lazy comparison and a huge disservice to their ability and regard at the time.

I'm not putting them in the same bracket as Josh King (I don't know enough about Josh King). But people dismissing players because they don't have fantastic reputations, and claiming that's unambitious, is a pet peeve. I was taking issue with ARTY_FOX's line of argument rather than making any point about Josh King.

Bournemouth have signed some mediocre players for big money (for their standards). Ibe, Gradel, Mings, Afobe, Grabban  etc. That's over £45m for those lot. 

This summer is big for tbem. If they hsve another bad window they could slide down the table and drop. Similarly to us, their key players are players they signed when they were in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

I'm not putting them in the same bracket as Josh King (I don't know enough about Josh King). But people dismissing players because they don't have fantastic reputations, and claiming that's unambitious, is a pet peeve. I was taking issue with ARTY_FOX's line of argument rather than making any point about Josh King.

Following the line of conversation (about King and how people rate him), it appeared as if you were using our players as a comparison (even if it was unintentional). Why is it a pet peeve to look at someone's record and use that as a realistic base line to judge a player on? It seems perfectly reasonable to me? It could be argued that those players you mentioned were never unambitious at the time, albeit it wasn't expected they'd go on to win the prem  lol  I agree that you don't need to have a team of world beaters to do well though, as have proved. If you assemble a team with the right/similar work ethic, you create something more than the sum of it's individual parts, which is something I'm so proud of our team for.

Just now, Darkon84 said:

Following the line of conversation (about King and how people rate him), it appeared as if you were using our players as a comparison (even if it was unintentional). Why is it a pet peeve to look at someone's record and use that as a realistic base line to judge a player on? It seems perfectly reasonable to me? It could be argued that those players you mentioned were never unambitious at the time, albeit it wasn't expected they'd go on to win the prem  lol  I agree that you don't need to have a team of world beaters to do well though, as have proved. If you assemble a team with the right/similar work ethic, you create something more than the sum of it's individual parts, which is something I'm so proud of our team for.

I'm not saying it's wrong to look at someones record, but at the same time it's a bit simplistic to just look at how many goals somebody has scored and decide they're s*** on that basis when that's not the only thing footballers are there to do. Just because someone doesn't have the best reputation or record, it doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good addition and it doesn't mean the person signing them is being unambitious. As you say we've proved that putting together a squad that has a shared positive mentality and that fits a strong system can get an awful lot out of them.

19 hours ago, AKCJ said:

You've got some sort of phobia about being proven wrong. Everything you ever say is 'on the fence' after your humiliation over Cambiasso. You're also so quick to say "look at me, look how right I was" (thoroughly embarrassing on your part in this case, Josh King hasn't shown anything but mediocrity since signing for Bournemouth as everyone but you predicted).

He is not, nor has he ever been, the sort of player we should be looking to sign.

His goals and assists records are very very poor. Unless you consider 18 goals in 62 games a success (if you do, give up).

He's not a 'good young player'. He's 25 now. He should be approaching his peak and he's definitely not made the step up.

I bet he earns more money than you..He must then be better at his Chosen job than you....

Or you Would be playing PL profi football. Hes not made the step up..???!!!

He aint doing too bad is he..

Why I am replying...because it amazes me how posters on here, not judge or analyse, but do

Nothing but jizz off or demean careers, of good honest profis.

If you hadnt noticed, the players at Leicester you support with some Eceptions, are nothing more.!!

I bet you dont like too many work colleagues either...

If I have offended you God....Forgive my trespasses..

59 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Why is it a pet peeve to look at someone's record and use that as a realistic base line to judge a player on? It seems perfectly reasonable to me?

I don't think it's realistic or fair to judge an attacking player purely based on their goals/assists tally. By your logic, we should be shipping Shinji Okazaki out as soon as possible, as his record is MUCH worse than King's!

Get real.

13 hours ago, Mark_w said:

I agree to an extent but at the time of signing Morgan Schmeichel and Drinkwater they were all better than what we had. In fact I was over the moon with signing Schmeichel as he was the best keeper I'd seen down at the KP during his spells at other championship clubs. 

Drinkwater was proving himself to be a very good player in the division and I think some people were too quick to judge Simpson. Albrighton was an unknown but I wasn't unhappy with that signing.  In fact at the time of signing them I don't think any of the players you mentioned were really underwhelming or a backwards step in anyway. I just think josh king would be for us. Who would he replace?

3 hours ago, Mark_w said:

I'm no going off his repuration I'm going off of what I've seen of him and it would be an unambitious signing imo. We can do better I don't know what's controversial about that? 

Archived