Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

2016/17 Football League Championship

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yep.

This "big club" way of ordering the teams is nonsense. Who cares if a club won a lot 30 years ago? Means absolutely **** all.

Take Villa for example. Like to parade the idea that they're a big club. Fact of the matter is that Bournemouth are light years ahead of them.

Would still say Villa the bigger club myself. It's about sustainability isn't, I mean I look at Bournemouth as a team that merely trying to stay in this league for as long as possible and one that will inevitably go down at some point in the next 5 years and stay down. This is as good as it gets for them. They aint ever going to achieve the things Villa have, albeit Villa are probably going to have it extremely hard if they are ever going to repeat the things Villa have lol  

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

Would still say Villa the bigger club myself. It's about sustainability isn't, I mean I look at Bournemouth as a team that merely trying to stay in this league for as long as possible and one that will inevitably go down at some point in the next 5 years and stay down. This is as good as it gets for them. They aint ever going to achieve the things Villa have, albeit Villa are probably going to have it extremely hard if they are ever going to repeat the things Villa have lol  

But it actually accounts for nothing.

Bournemouth are in a far better position on and off the pitch. Being a so-called big club is pointless if you're lumbering in the lower divisions with a terrible squad and terrible attendance percentages.

Just now, AKCJ said:

But it actually accounts for nothing.

Bournemouth are in a far better position on and off the pitch. Being a so-called big club is pointless if you're lumbering in the lower divisions with a terrible squad and terrible attendance percentages.

Apart from having better facilities and more fans which you are right will not dramatically help you on the pitch.

Financially Bournemouth lapping it up at the minute, but they need a new stadium really, Villa probably have better facilities an academy to produce the players and still get X 3 as many fans through the door (for obs reasons) , they have a potential to make more money if they are promoted, and potential is all it is I guess. It's advantageous to be a bigger club once you get back to where people view as your correct position you tend to stay there for longer. I mean we have Bournemouth now, in my life time I've seen Swindon, Bradford, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Wigan, all gone down, struggled severely, in some cases success can absolute ruin a club like Bournemouth yet Villa are still able to chuck stupid money around. But yes I'd still much rather be a Bournemouth fan than a Villa fan at the minute.

8 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I'd say you're only as good as your current standing, but agree that it seems to balance itself out over time. However, longer periods of success/failure can change your standing.

It's astonishing to think how much we've grown in the modern era- at the turn of the 90's, we were at one of our lowest points, middling 'nearly men' with one trophy to our name, playing in a dilapidated ground in front of 11,000. 25 years later, despite 10 consecutive years outside the top flight and our first trip to the third tier, we're the sixth most successful club of the PL era playing in front of sell-out 32,000 crowds in a new(ish) ground.

Times will get tougher, but we'll always be bigger than we were at the start of the PL era. You can change the size of the club, and I'd say Bournemouth have grown massively over the last few years, even if they do go down. Likewise, if Villa stay down, they may reduce in size. Leeds, Forest, both Sheffield clubs, Wolves etc. aren't as big as they used to be as a generation has grown up viewing them as Championship/League 1 clubs, and they will have lost some of their fanbase proportionately. You can go down for a little while and retain your stature as long as you bounce back fairly quickly, but you can't dick about in the lower leagues for decades and still claim to be a big club.

8 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I'd say you're only as good as your current standing, but agree that it seems to balance itself out over time. However, longer periods of success/failure can change your standing.

It's astonishing to think how much we've grown in the modern era- at the turn of the 90's, we were at one of our lowest points, middling 'nearly men' with one trophy to our name, playing in a dilapidated ground in front of 11,000. 25 years later, despite 10 consecutive years outside the top flight and our first trip to the third tier, we're the sixth most successful club of the PL era playing in front of sell-out 32,000 crowds in a new(ish) ground.

Times will get tougher, but we'll always be bigger than we were at the start of the PL era. You can change the size of the club, and I'd say Bournemouth have grown massively over the last few years, even if they do go down. Likewise, if Villa stay down, they may reduce in size. Leeds, Forest, both Sheffield clubs, Wolves etc. aren't as big as they used to be as a generation has grown up viewing them as Championship/League 1 clubs, and they will have lost some of their fanbase proportionately. You can go down for a little while and retain your stature as long as you bounce back fairly quickly, but you can't dick about in the lower leagues for decades and still claim to be a big club.

Well tbh I haven't really said anything on the contrary 

Your absloutley right with Bournemouth and I'm sure the longer they do manage to hang around the bigger they will get. Plenty of teams have grown in stature, we are a prime example, but then it took us years of top flight and yoyoing up and down. 

In the reverse though I'd personally say it takes something quite dramatic to make you truly lose the size and fanbase once you've got it through sustained periods of success. You might not get as many paying customers while you are down there but, for example,  It's unfortunate, but a fact of life that we all must face, that one day Leeds probably are going to make back to the top flight one day, and at that first game Elland Road will sell out.  

Look at the following supposed big clubs and the amount of time they've been outside the top flight.

Ipswich 16 years

Forest 19 years

Sheff Weds 17 years

Leeds 13 years

We've had higher attendances than Sheffield Wednesday pretty consistently for 15 straight years now. There are an entire generation of Forest fans who've only seen their club play in the 2nd and 3rd tier.

Put it this way, if us and Spurs went for the same players we are 100% losing out to Spurs. If us and Wednesday play in the same division and go for the same player it's 50/50. Likewise with Forest. 

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Look at the following supposed big clubs and the amount of time they've been outside the top flight.

Ipswich 16 years

Forest 19 years

Sheff Weds 17 years

Leeds 13 years

We've had higher attendances than Sheffield Wednesday pretty consistently for 15 straight years now. There are an entire generation of Forest fans who've only seen their club play in the 2nd and 3rd tier.

Put it this way, if us and Spurs went for the same players we are 100% losing out to Spurs. If us and Wednesday play in the same division and go for the same player it's 50/50. Likewise with Forest. 

Not even close.

If Wednesday/Leeds/Forest/Ipswich got promoted in Summer 16 and we went for the same players we'd get them 100%.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Not even close.

If Wednesday/Leeds/Forest/Ipswich got promoted in Summer 16 and we went for the same players we'd get them 100%.

That's because we're more established. Give them 3 PL years and we'd be on the same level as those clubs. If us and Stoke/Southampton went for the same player we are not guaranteed to get the player. Whereas Bournemouth can be in the PL for a decade and they will still not able to compete with us with players.

10 minutes ago, Koke said:

That's because we're more established. Give them 3 PL years and we'd be on the same level as those clubs. If us and Stoke/Southampton went for the same player we are not guaranteed to get the player. Whereas Bournemouth can be in the PL for a decade and they will still not able to compete with us with players.

It's because we were/are Champions and were/are in the Champions League.

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

That's a little different though isn't and bit of a different scenario as we are on a par size was. The question here is if Leeds got promoted would they be able to pip Bournemouth to players and my answer to that would be yes. In fact Newcastle were able to take one of Bournemouths first team regulars off them this summer despite them now being an established PL team vs a Championship team. 

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Actually I'm going to totally revise what i've said there.

Stupid discussion as we are discussing professional footballers. They will go to whoever offers to pay them the highest amount normally.

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Ipswich 16 years

Forest 19 years

Sheff Weds 17 years

Leeds 13 years

I wouldn't mind seeing 3 out of those 4 eventually make it back to the PL.

10 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Brighton doing there very best at bottling promotion.

i know everyone has a knockaert love in and all that but I don't want Brighton promoted

Brighton away not a bad day out ....

Guest FriendlyRam

Nugent with his first goal for us :) 

Brighton bottling it from their position would be worse than ours in 2014-15 lol, they fail to go up this season from some pretty good positions would mean they might end up needing a rebuild, we know about it from experience. 

Haven't been impressed with Brighton every time I've watched them especially away from home.  Told my forest supporting brother in law they'll do well against them despite their league position, not surprised at the result.  Not sure if I just happen to watch them on their worst days or the championship is a lot weaker than I thought it was.

So Bristol City have decided to sack their long standing assistant manager and head scout rather than Lee Johnson. Their fans are absolutely fuming! Assistant manager hasn't even got a thank you from club statement.

Johnson has also left almost all his new signings on the bench tonight lol 

Assume John Pemberton stood up for himself And called LJ out and got sacked for it lol 

I like Leeds but I don't want them promoted. We don't need anymore competition in terms of player signings and finishing in the top half. Brighton and Huddersfield are small clubs so they likely don't have ambitions beyond survival. 

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Alex Neil sacked at Norwich, not really surprise he's been probably done well to keep the job as long as he has. Got to be Rowett going there surely, maybe it's even a decent post for Pearson?

Rowett or Warburton I'd imagine

Archived