Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Demarai Gray

He's probably right to be fair. Absolutely no issues with that. Just stating he's disappointed he was never really afforded a chance under the previous two managers.

I think if you have an issue with that then it's more to do with a personal bias against Gray.

• Like 2

I can't see what he's said wrong.

The team was poor last season, players got their starts because of their names and sentiment, not form, drop those out of form try something different, give others a chance.

Gray is far from the finished article, he does things that are magnificent, things that don't come off and makes wrong decisions, but i'd rather see that than see players out of form or that are arguably come across as moping around.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He's probably right to be fair. Absolutely no issues with that. Just stating he's disappointed he was never really afforded a chance under the previous two managers.

I think if you have an issue with that then it's more to do with a personal bias against Gray.

I agree, maybe its how the journalists have worded it but he was quoted as saying "I felt I was held back by not playing football". To me that is disrespectful to other players, I mean it wasn't like when he did play he set the world alight last season. 

I hope he fulfils his potential but he would be best off concentrating his energy on working hard improving his game rather than blabbing all the time to the press.

Take Maguire as an example. He was playing awesome for Hull last season but didn't really make his England debut till he joined us. But was he talking about it? He just got on with it, worked hard and looks to be a certainty for the WC

25 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/877534/Leicester-news-Demarai-Gray-England-call-up-Germany-Brazil-King-Power-Stadium-Shakespeare

Seen a few stories like this. Either Journalist BS or Gray seriously needs to STFU and let his feet do the talking

He's not really said anything wrong has he? Basically "I could have been called up if I was playing regularly and developing, which I wasn't."

38 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He got 1227 minutes in the premier league and champions league alone last season. He didn't play more because Albrighton and a half arsed Mahrez were still a bit better.

That's really not a bad amount of time for someone of his age at the time in this league.

• Like 1

Gray has done absolutely nothing wrong since he joined us.  He has stated on a few occasions that he is frustrated at not playing and he has a face which some people deem as "mardy".  Other than that I genuinely cannot see why some people have an issue with him.  When was the last time we had a young, English player knocking on the national team's door and producing genuinely exciting (if sporadic) performances at club level?

If he says "I am better than that nobhead Albrighton and deserve to be starting every week" then of course he is out of order but to say "I am frustrated that I am not playing" how on Earth is that wrong?  You have to do some serious mental gymnastics to turn that into a bad attitude.  He may have a bad attitude, I don;t know, but what I do know is that none of you know that he definitely has based on any of these comments.  Look at the headline - Gray "slams" club.  It;s all just media bollox and we are better than that.

Keep it up Gray and good luck with England. X

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He got 1227 minutes in the premier league and champions league alone last season. He didn't play more because Albrighton and a half arsed Mahrez were still a bit better.

That's really not a bad amount of time for someone of his age at the time in this league.

Those minutes are misleading. He's had 12 starts since he joined us in January 2016. Just 12 starts. That isn't enough to stake a claim in the first team. He needs a run of games (like he's getting now). Coming on in the 70th minute when we are 0-2 down playing hoofball and then expecting him to change the game is not exactly fair.

For most of last season both Mahrez and Albrighton were turd yet played every game. If Shakespeare was still here Albrighton would still be starting despite going missing since the Arsenal game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Gray has done absolutely nothing wrong since he joined us.  He has stated on a few occasions that he is frustrated at not playing and he has a face which some people deem as "mardy".  Other than that I genuinely cannot see why some people have an issue with him.  When was the last time we had a young, English player knocking on the national team's door and producing genuinely exciting (if sporadic) performances at club level?

If he says "I am better than that nobhead Albrighton and deserve to be starting every week" then of course he is out of order but to say "I am frustrated that I am not playing" how on Earth is that wrong?  You have to do some serious mental gymnastics to turn that into a bad attitude.  He may have a bad attitude, I don;t know, but what I do know is that none of you know that he definitely has based on any of these comments.  Look at the headline - Gray "slams" club.  It;s all just media bollox and we are better than that.

Keep it up Gray and good luck with England. X

We have far worse characters in our squad than Gray yet he gets more abuse on social media than any of our players. He's never slagged off the club, team mates or managers. 

Surely we want players who don't wanna sit on the bench and collect their big wages and have no ambition? Look at Musa. He'd rather rot in the U23s and collect his £50k a week than go out on loan and possibly enhance his chances with us next season. 

• Like 1

I've been a critic of his at times, but I don't have any real issue with what's been said.

He's just signed a new deal, so it's not as if he's annoyed with the club- he's just frustrated that he's not been playing.

I like his ambition, and flair players like that almost need that confidence and arrogance to do what they do.

He's playing well, and long may it continue.

Edited by Ted Maul

20 minutes ago, Koke said:

Those minutes are misleading. He's had 12 starts since he joined us in January 2016. Just 12 starts. That isn't enough to stake a claim in the first team.

They aren't really that misleading considering he started 9 games in the league and 1 champions league game last year (plus other cups). That means he started nearly a quarter of premier league games.

He needs a run of games (like he's getting now). Coming on in the 70th minute when we are 0-2 down playing hoofball and then expecting him to change the game is not exactly fair.

I'm sorry but that's exactly how you move through the ranks, by impacting games when you played. Quite simply he was not good enough and didn't take his chances when they came along, unless it was against lower league clubs. Against Everton he took the chance... how many times we seen him play like that since he's been here?

For most of last season both Mahrez and Albrighton were turd yet played every game.

Yet still offered more.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

Gray is spot on. I don't understand why people would have an issue with him being correct. The fact that Marc "Fullback" Albrighton has been preferred over him for so long must have been really irritating. It just seems though there are a significant proportion of fans who like the slow and steady over the loud and exciting. Gray wants to improve, wants to play and is positive on the pitch. Albrighton's best hope now is a switch to a wingback system.

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He got less than half the time Albrighton got in the league with only 9 starts and 21 of his appearances coming from the bench for 5-15 minute cameos.

Even with your bias against the lad, surely you can accept it's harder to make an impact when you're coming into a game in the 80th minute. Reminds me a little bit of Kramaric how you seemed to get annoyed by people clamouring to get him in the team. From then on, any post about him was pretty negative haha.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Gray is spot on. I don't understand why people would have an issue with him being correct. The fact that Marc "Fullback" Albrighton has been preferred over him for so long must have been really irritating. It just seems though there are a significant proportion of fans who like the slow and steady over the loud and exciting. Gray wants to improve, wants to play and is positive on the pitch. Albrighton's best hope now is a switch to a wingback system.

One difference between Albrighton and Gray.... Attitude.

if Gray had started every week instead of Albrighton in 15-16 we wouldn't have won the league. 

If anything I would say Albrighton is more deserving of a place in the England squad. Works hard and is a team player every game, exactly what England are lacking. 

• Like 1

Just now, dylanlegend said:

if Gray had started every week instead of Albrighton in 15-16 we wouldn't have won the league. 

If anything I would say Albrighton is more deserving of a place in the England squad. Works hard and is a team player every game, exactly what England are lacking. 

If Albrighton was anywhere near as good as some Leicester fans think he is, he'd have been in the England squad a long time ago. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, dylanlegend said:

Myth. Albrighton spends the whole game standing in the left back slot and watches the fullback offer more going forwards than he does. Doesn't work hard, he just defends lol. Hardly a new thing either, in the calendar year of 2016, he contributed one goal (Bruges away) and two assists.

22 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

For me it's not what he's said that's the issue. The issue is does he need to say it at all?

why not just concentrate on playing now instead of bemoaning the past?

He’s just talking about his own personal development. He never says that the club or the managers have held him back.  He’s said that not playing football has held him back.

Nobody should ever read the Daily Express. It's little more than right-wing propaganda.  

He just quite rightly points out that he would have progressed further had he played for a Premiership team and started 30/35 games last season. We were too good to allow that to happen last year, but Hull, Swansea etc could have done that for him.

What he’s actually said is this:

“That’s why I felt very disappointed at times because I felt I was being held back by not playing football and I know what I’m capable of”

He’s not ‘slammed’ anyone or anything.

He needs a good chant. There must be loads of things that rhyme with De-mar-eeee.

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He got less than half the time Albrighton got in the league with only 9 starts and 21 of his appearances coming from the bench for 5-15 minute cameos.

And? Albrighton was beating him on almost every metric going in attack and defence. He got more assists than Mahrez and Gray put together.

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Even with your bias against the lad, surely you can accept it's harder to make an impact when you're coming into a game in the 80th minute. Reminds me a little bit of Kramaric how you seemed to get annoyed by people clamouring to get him in the team. From then on, any post about him was pretty negative haha.

Would love to know how I have a bias against him, do expand. It is harder to make an impact when coming on in the 80th minute. But make an impact you have to do, and lets not ignore the 10 starts in high level games... how much impact was there in those?

The lad has a huge amount of natural ability, far more than someone like Albrighton will ever have. But if you don't produce when you get the chance, you aren't going to get into the team. Especially when you know Albrighton on a bad day, is still going to give you everything and do a job for the team and Mahrez on a bad day still probably create one absolute sitter for someone. The same couldn't always be said of Gray who was frankly doggo as a team player. Something I think he's shown up much better in the last couple of games.

Kramaric lol Imagine thinking people are a bit weird clamouring to play someone who was light weight, massively overrated and didn't fit our system.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

Exactly. Dem's done more in the last two games than Albrighton has all season. Glad Puel has sorted it out.

Come on, Albrighton clearly hasn't been at his best (who has been!) and Gray as certainly stepped up his performances to more than warrant a starting place now. But lets now make out that it's some kind of travesty that he wasn't always ahead of him. Alrighton has been one of our most consistent performers since the start of the great escape and the majority of the time more than warranted starting.