Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Demarai Gray

15 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Take this if your a Mahrez fanboy

image.png.7f5d87a504092c5444c3ee47ab8c7730.png

Leicester rising-star Demarai Gray admits he is gunning for 2016 PFA Player of the Year Riyad Mahrez's job

"It’s my job to give the manager a headache" said 21-year-old pushing wantaway fellow winger over starting role

Demarai Gray has warned Riyad Mahrez that he is ready to replace him in Leicester ’s starting line-up.

England U21 ace Gray has come off the bench in all of the Foxes’ five Premier League games so far this term.

He has been unable to displace 2016 PFA Player of the Year Mahrez, despite the Algerian unsuccessfully demanding to go during the summer window.

But Gray has since made two successful starts in the Carabao Cup this term, catching the eye in Tuesday’s 2-0 third-round win over visitors Liverpool — in which fellow wideman Mahrez was an unused sub.

Now, the 21-year-old is hoping to get the nod to continue in boss Craig Shakespeare’s starting line-up when Liverpool return for an instant rematch in the top-flight on Saturday.

“It’s my job to give the manager a headache," said Gray. "That’s what I need to keep doing. Hopefully I can get a consistent run of games now and take my opportunities.

“I know I’ve got to fight for my place, because there are good players fighting for positions.”

His situation saw both Bournemouth and Tottenham table bids for the talented ex-Birmingham trainee, who joined Leicester in January 2016 for £3.5million.

Gray admitted: “I wanted more game time and I’ve had a tough time mentally. But that’s only going to help me develop and I’m in a much better place now. It’s kind of an issue if you’re not playing.

“You get frustrated and I think it’s good for the manager that he knows a player is frustrated. You want to play and get out there and help the team.”

The youngster’s £25,000-a-week salary is set to soar after a final round of talks between the Foxes and his representatives this week.

Gray added: “I’ll just keep working hard and hopefully something will get sorted and we’ll get things over the line.

“I’m a Leicester City player and I’ve just got to work hard to try to get my place in the team consistently.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-gray-warns-mahrez-job-11207661

PS

Mirror stirring the pot no actual quotes about mahrez :ph34r:

is this the same rag who at the weekend said Silva has the green light to play for us within 24 / 48 hours.

39 minutes ago, tsintskaro said:

oh you

no ones saying he is lazy one

but he is bad with ball,has no passing skills,cant shot,cant dribble 

i know about hes defensive activities but as i said he is winger

WINGER

he should do things attacking player should do,but he cant

he should be there whete aston villa is now

Oh I agree.... Albrighton hasn't done anything decent this season since the Arsenal game and the last two games should have been hooked at half time.

I disagree that he can't dribble because I think that's one of his better attributes but totally agree passing skills - he gives the ball away constantly, sometimes not even looking where he passes.

Gets away with it though because "he always gives 100%".

Edited by Fox92

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Oh I agree.... Albrighton hasn't done anything decent this season since the Arsenal game and the last two games should have been hooked at half time.

I disagree that he can't dribble because I think that's one of his better attributes but totally agree passing skills - he gives the ball away constantly, sometimes not even looking where he passes.

Gets away with it though because "he always gives 100%".

I have noticed him playing more defensively of late blindly hooking the ball anywhere to clear it, definitely off form at the moment 

50 minutes ago, tsintskaro said:

oh you

WINGER

What a load of horse s*** ....   yes he's a winger and guess what he crosses the ball over ....     and as for  "he should be whete aston villa is now" ....    have you forgotten what this player did for us .....    how fvckin disrespectful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

My take on Albrighton, for what little it's worth, is that he is one of the first names on the teamsheet when he's actually prepared to attack. Since the Arsenal game he's slipped back into that really annoying style where he tries to play full back, and despite his excellent work rate which can't be faulted, his defensive positioning isn't all that. On Tuesday he spent the entire first half playing RB and was nowhere near Robertson, whilst he contributed nothing in attack as he didn't get over the halfway line. This is when I personally question his role. I'd also question the manager not pushing him further up the field to play to his obvious strength, which is outstanding delivery.

Tuesday's first half was a massive fvck-up from the manager, so I won't blame Albrighton or any other player for us playing with 10 men and 3 CBs. Nothing worked, absolutely nothing. Not even Liverpool.

I can't point exactly to why he's been so crap since Arsenal. It definitely has something to do with him playing deeper than usual and the fact that the fixtures were tough, but his pass and cross quality really nose-dived. He regresssed to his level of last months of Ranieri's era.

Just had a look at some crossing stats:

Albrighton:

2015/16: Cross accuracy: 19% (for 272 crosses)

2016/17: Cross accuracy: 20% (for 212 crosses)

2017/18: Cross accuracy: 18% (for 22 crosses)

Overall PL: 21% (for 1201 crosses)

Mahrez:

2015/16: Cross accuracy: 28% (for 114 crosses)

2016/17: Cross accuracy: 16% (for 154 crosses)

2017/18: Cross accuracy: 29% (for 14 crosses)

Overall PL: 22% (for 436 crosses)

Gray:

2015/16: Cross accuracy: 33% (for 12 crosses)

2016/17: Cross accuracy: 17% (for 82 crosses)

2017/18: Cross accuracy: 25% (for 8 crosses)

Overall PL: 20% (for 102 crosses)

For comparison:

De Bruyne: 29% (499 crosses)

Coutinho: 25% (384 crosses)

Hazard: 18% (376 crosses)

Sané: 17% (59 crosses)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Redouane said:

Atleast Marc knows how to cross..

Yes, but Gray's cross to Slimani, at the end on Tuesday, was just a couple of inches away from being an excellent cross which the latter for sure would've scored from.

Feel some are harshly criticising Gray.

We had purchased him relatively cheap, he's English and young, tipped for a very bright future and he's developing well in a complex league.

I much prefer him to other English wingers at his age. Everton have some but they've not really done much to stake a big claim in the team - whilst Gray offers something different which our team do need during certain games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

What a load of horse s*** ....   yes he's a winger and guess what he crosses the ball over ....     and as for  "he should be whete aston villa is now" ....    have you forgotten what this player did for us .....    how fvckin disrespectful.

Very fvcking disrespectful. This guy has never given anything less than 100% for us and should have been pushing for a place in the England squad during our championship winning year, as me and many others on this forum were saying at the time. Yeah he didn't have a great season last year and has made a poor start this year, but you could also lump the rest of them in that same category, with one or two exceptions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Albrighton's best position offensively would clearly be as an AMR.

Apart from the fact he's less effective on the right as he can't beat a man, on the left he always cuts back onto his right to avoid having to get past the full back.

12 minutes ago, CyprusFox said:

Very fvcking disrespectful. This guy has never given anything less than 100% for us and should have been pushing for a place in the England squad during our championship winning year, as me and many others on this forum were saying at the time. Yeah he didn't have a great season last year and has made a poor start this year, but you could also lump the rest of them in that same category, with one or two exceptions.

He was probably our best player in the second half of last season tbf.

He's just going through a bad patch of form, it happens to every player. You only have to go back to the Arsenal match to see how important he can be for us on his day.

Gray should probably come in for him atm but Albrighton will play plenty and still have a lot of positive contributions this season. 

Btw I'm pretty sure tsintskaro has said before he only started supporting us half way through our title winning campaign because we were doing well after no previous connection to the club (unless I'm thinking of another user), so I wouldn't pay attention to him.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Just now, lcfcsnow said:

Apart from the fact he's less effective on the right as he can't beat a man, on the left he always cuts back onto his right to avoid having to get past the full back.

He wouldn't need to. Beckham couldn't beat a man, he just crossed from deep.

I don't think Albrighton couldn't have improved on his dribbling with us, he's much quicker and stronger than he used to be. But we've adapted him so he's not really had the chance.

I'm not saying he'd be a top tier right winger, just that that would be his best position in terms of getting his chance creation stats up.

1 hour ago, tsintskaro said:

oh you

WINGER

And that's why he had as many assists as Gray and Mahrez combined last year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Apart from the fact he's less effective on the right as he can't beat a man, on the left he always cuts back onto his right to avoid having to get past the full back.

I seem to remember him playing there at home to West Ham last season and he was exceptional.Think we win either 2-1 or 3-2 but it should've been a lot more.

In fact I think we played 4-2-3-1 that day with Mahrez, Gray and Albrighton as the 3 AMs behind Vardy and they were all excellent and pretty much the best 3 players on the pitch.

We struggled the following game and then seemed to abandon it as that was in Ranieri's constant tinkering phase last year. Never understood why we didn't give the 4-2-3-1 with Gray, Mahrez and Albrighton as the 3 AMs behind Vardy more of a try.

edit: Just looked it up. It was 1-0 and Slimani was up front not Vardy who was injured, but the point still stands those 3 were all excellent that game.

Edited by Sampson

It's quite easy for me, Gray is one of those young players in our squad that has massive potential and is an exciting player which there's very few of. I understand previously why he hasn't had that many starts, the players getting in ahead of him were more consistent and proven so it's tough. Plus his cameos and the starts he did have he was invariably not that good. However this season Albrighton has been a mess, he had a great first half vs Arsenal but since then he's been very poor and is getting worse. It's in these instances where Gray simply has to be given a chance and a run of games, otherwise it's not fair and we might as well fcuk him off. Plus he's looked bright this season, he was superb in the 2nd half vs Sheffield Utd and had a decent game vs Liverpool this week and is once again in very good form for England U21's. It's only right he now gets given a go. If Shakespeare is worried that both he and Mahrez can't both start in a 4-4-2 then change systems because right now Albrighton is offering us very little and we aren't creating anywhere near enough chances to score goals. Gray and Mahrez either side of Vardy or Iheanacho would be interesting, likewise deploying two deep lying defensive midfielders with Gray, Okazaki and Mahrez operating behind Vardy or Iheanacho could bring an extra attacking impetus. It won't be good enough to just continue to ignore Gray, it's this type of handling of our young players that riles me and is a big problem in why we find it so difficult to develop a team that isn't made up of the majority of the title winning side that's been here for long years.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Yes, but Gray's cross to Slimani, at the end on Tuesday, was just a couple of inches away from being an excellent cross which the latter for sure would've scored from.

Feel some are harshly criticising Gray.

We had purchased him relatively cheap, he's English and young, tipped for a very bright future and he's developing well in a complex league.

I much prefer him to other English wingers at his age. Everton have some but they've not really done much to stake a big claim in the team - whilst Gray offers something different which our team do need during certain games.

I feel that some are generously praising him, despite the fact that he has not merited a start. The only reason I would start him is because Albrighton has dipped in form, not because he deserves it.

They *did* say that Gray and Marc both knew that they were in competition with one another for a starting role going into the season. Right now, Gray seems to be winning that spot. Form dips from time to time - Albrighton being a shining example of this - but Gray has potential that Marc never did. This is not to knock him, as he works tremendously hard and has tapped out every bit of what I believe him to be capable of as a footballer. It's just that Gray is beginning to eclipse Albrighton in some areas of the game. Not all, mind you - but some.

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Albrighton hasn't put in a good cross since the Arsenal game. 

Agreed, part of me thinks it's all a bit of a myth that he's a great crosser of the ball.

Yes he'll have the odd unreal cross such as Arsenal away for Vardy's goal, but how many times does he not beat the first man? Or cut back onto his right foot when it would have been ideal to swing it in with his left.

Gray should be really pushing him for a place now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nugent said:

Agreed, part of me thinks it's all a bit of a myth that he's a great crosser of the ball.

Yes he'll have the odd unreal cross such as Arsenal away for Vardy's goal, but how many times does he not beat the first man? Or cut back onto his right foot when it would have been ideal to swing it in with his left.

Gray should be really pushing him for a place now.

Oh totally agree, he rarely beats the first man. He's put in some crosses for us but if you're hitting 6/7/8 a game one is bound to be half decent.

Gray would be in for me, as I've said, we should be going at teams. It'd be exciting.

• Like 1