Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

22 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

At the risk of repeating myself I am yet to see anything from him that makes me think he is suited to a side aiming for the mid to top half of the Premiership. I watched all the games you claim he 'bossed' and don't share your opinion. In an effort to be balanced I looked back on 'who scored' and sqwaka to try and gain some objectivity and see how he rated from a statistical standpoint

Swansea (H) - 6.9/10 (Albrighton 7.2, Drinkwater 7.6, Mahrez 6.5) I'd interpret that as not 'bossing' a game (only 2 outfield players, Mahrez and Huth, rated lower).

Porto (H) - 7.4/10 (Albrighton 6.7, Drinkwater 7.1, Mahrez 7.9) You could 'possibly' claim that he bossed that game (if you ignore the 4 other outfield players who scored the same or higher)

Man City (H) - 6.6/10 (Albrighton 7.4, King 8.0, Mahrez 7.8) I'd interpret that as not 'bossing' a game (only 2 outfield players, Morgan and Simpson, rated lower).

I don't think any reasonable person would describe him as a machine or as having 'bossed' those games.

Looking at Sqwaka he again doesn't appear to have bossed Swansea (he scored less than two stars and gained a minus rating), though Porto he scored well (3.5 stars and grew into the game) though against Man City he was not rated well (1.5 stars and another minus rating). Overall I don't think it unreasonable to claim that he didn't really catch my eye in those matches.

I do not think that he is currently any better (or in fact close to) Huth or Morgan as a CB and I do not believe that he ever will be. Similarly I do not think he is currently any better than N'didi or Drinkwater and again I don't think he ever will be.

Would I ever start Amartey if our first XI were fit? No.

Do I forsee a time when Amartey will match the ability of the players I have listed above? No.

Do I want to wait 5 years to see if he will get to that level? No.

Do I blame him for this seasons ills? No

Am I being laughable to claim I've seen nothing? The statistics appear to say no.

Whoscord match ratings are total plop as has been discussed to death. The post match threads are rather more telling though regarding his performance... from my quick flick through you seem noticeably absent from them though.

Just now, Babylon said:

Whoscord match ratings are total plop as has been discussed to death. The post match threads are rather more telling though regarding his performance... from my quick flick through you seem noticeably absent from them though.

I only used those sites to remain impartial and objective. My opinion can obviously be impacted by where I sit, where I am looking at a given time etc.

If you can suggest another site which looks at things objectively I'd be happy to reappraise my thoughts.

Looking at Sqwaka he doesn't appear much of a boss or a machine.

6 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

I only used those sites to remain impartial and objective. My opinion can obviously be impacted by where I sit, where I am looking at a given time etc.

If you can suggest another site which looks at things objectively I'd be happy to reappraise my thoughts.

Looking at Sqwaka he doesn't appear much of a boss or a machine.

In certain games he was, even some of his biggest critics said as much post match. Swansea and the early champs league games especially.

There is no site particularly reliable for a match by match rating as they are too often warped by single incidents. An overview of multiple games the individual stats give you a fair view though I think.

He did alright today, though he didn't really have much defending to do as Bournemouth didn't really offer much for the period where he was on the pitch. If he is a Centre Half then he needs to play there more often. I certainly don't see him as a midfielder or a right-back. 

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Col after the Swansea game... "Glad Claudio took my advice and played Amartey... :thumbup:he was immense and 'did a Kante', getting his toe in, stopping their attacks and keeping it simple."

That was the first game I saw him play. And it was generally considered he had a great game, by most if I recollect. One swallow, unfortunately, doesn't a summer make.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

In certain games he was, even some of his biggest critics said as much post match. Swansea and the early champs league games especially.

There is no site particularly reliable for a match by match rating as they are too often warped by single incidents. An overview of multiple games the individual stats give you a fair view though I think.

Well I cannot recall a single one. My overview of multiple games (basically the whole season home and away) is that he isn't good enough.

I think sound logic is if 9 times out of 10 you aren't very good, then you probably aren't very good.

I just can't see what he offers that other players don't do better. As a midfielder N'Didi is better. As a centre-back Huth and Morgan are better. I get that we need a squad, and that squad players are naturally going to be inferior to those who start. However I am of the opinion that a squad player should be better at one thing than the player he replaces. For example Okazaki, whilst not as good as Vardy, is better at being a shield for the defence than Vardy or Ulloa or Slimani. Likewise Slimani is better in the air than Okazaki, and Ulloa is better at holding up the ball than Slimani. Each player has an attribute that you can use to alter a game. Chilwell, whilst nowhere near as good a leftback as Fuchs, is a better athletic attacking option. As either a midfielder or defender Amartey can do nothing better that N'Didi, Drinkwater, Huth, Morgan or Simpson.

Edited by fleckneymike

11 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

Well I cannot recall a single one. My overview of multiple games (basically the whole season home and away) is that he isn't good enough.

I think sound logic is if 9 times out of 10 you aren't very good, then you probably aren't very good.

I just can't see what he offers that other players don't do better. As a midfielder N'Didi is better. As a centre-back Huth and Morgan are better. I get that we need a squad, and that squad players are naturally going to be inferior to those who start. However I am of the opinion that a squad player should be better at one thing than the player he replaces. For example Okazaki, whilst not as good as Vardy, is better at being a shield for the defence than Vardy or Ulloa or Slimani. Likewise Slimani is better in the air than Okazaki, and Ulloa is better at holding up the ball than Slimani. Each player has an attribute that you can use to alter a game. Chilwell, whilst nowhere near as good a leftback as Fuchs, is a better athletic attacking option. As either a midfielder or defender Amartey can do nothing better that N'Didi, Drinkwater, Huth, Morgan or Simpson.

Nobody is saying he currently is better, he's a young lad who can improve and can cover a few positions.

• Like 1

Agree with people about loaning him out as a CB. He wouldn't play enough for us in that position and I would be shitting myself if we had to play him there against Spurs/Chelsea/Man City, etc. 

I like him though  so hope he works out for us in the end. For now though, I'd be looking to loan him out to a top Championship team - maybe Fulham or something. 

11 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Thought he did ok at centre back today if he played there next season I can see him bringing the ball out from the back if he has a bit of space in front of him something that Wes and Huth don't tend to do.

Tend to agree with this point…. Made some nice incisive runs and nice passes from the back

csnt really Jude his defending too much based on this outing, but, simply don't feel comfortable with Benny - a centre half cannot be that inconsistent and still be seen  as credible back up

would be nice to see some more of him at centre half

On 2017-5-19 at 23:13, steflcfc said:

You can usually tell after a few games if the player is potentially good enough.

For me he just looks lost, and not up to it. And other players don't seem as confident when there on the field.

(same goes for Musa & Mendy)

Ndidi is the perfect example,comes in and looks settled, and you can tell he has something about him after so few games.

I agree with that, At least 90% of the time you can make a correct judgement call on a player after a few games.

In Amartey's defence he's still young but I see a player who isn't good enough on the ball to be a midfielder and a player who isn't dominant and strong enough to be a centre half.

I am of the opinion that our squad players should looking to push out 1st team regulars giving them competition not warm the bench until we have injuries, need to be ready to replace immediately not be able to 'do a job'. Our squad is not a testing ground, I have mentioned previously we can carry a couple for various reasons, development or aging we have too many average squad players, DA is one. If most agree that he has something the question is how do we develop. Needs games for me but not at our first teams or squads expense, Championship or even Prem loan.

He makes me a bit nervous, tbh.

The games I've seen him in, he a little bit Bambi on Ice and skittish. And see's the ball as a bit of a hot potato. We need a young, calm, imposing CB.

Agree with a year on loan in the Championship, though. no place to hide and he will sink or swim.  

• Like 1

I'd say give him till Christmas in the championship... If he doesnt do well then exploit desperate buyers and try and get our money back ( or at least most of it..) in the jan transfer window

If  he plays beast mode at CB in the champ then get him a gig at CB for a lowly prem team for the rest of the season...

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Amartey better get his head down and learn to play right-back because after the signings of Iborra & Maguire i can't see him getting game time at CM or CB . 

his best hope is playing RB if Simpson gets injured . 

in a 352 he'd be perfect for one of the wider CB spots

Fresh start in a completely different team from last season (attitude not personnel clearly, management aside) so I'm prepared to give him another chance. Wasn't a great season from him but he was thrown in the deep end immediately. Some thrive (Ndidi) some don't (Hernandez, Musa etc). 

Really hope he proves me wrong and pushes on to become a first team regular, because at present I can just see him being an average squad member!

He won't get games at CM now we have Drinkwater, Ndidi, Iborra, James & King.

He won't get games at CB now we have Maguire, Morgan, Huth & are trying to sign Evans or Gibson.

I can see him ending up as back up to Simpson. I'd prefer us to sign a proper RB, but instead I think we'll persist with Amartey..

37 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

in a 352 he'd be perfect for one of the wider CB spots

Perfect ? 

How do you know? He's never played at the back for us despite all the injuries and suspensions we had last season, he was never given a game there by either Claudio or shakey.

if he was any good at CB he would've played there by now.

limited player