Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rmahrez

Ndidi Signed

8 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

The whole 'stepping stone' thing is quite funny. As much as we'd want to believe otherwise, not many players grow up dreaming of playing for Leicester City. 

That's because the current crop of players grew up at a time when LCFC were obscure midtable championship. Kante grew up watching French players, his idols, winning stuff at Chelsea.

However, right now there are hundreds of talented kids in Algeria dreaming of following in their heroes footsteps and playing for LCFC, currently by far the most popular PL club in their country, when they grow up. Most of them will switch allegiances to other big clubs along the way. But maybe, just maybe, one day 10 years in the future, a talented Algerian lad will choose to sign for us over the bigger clubs, and then choose to remain loyal, because LCFC was once his boyhood club.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

That's because the current crop of players grew up at a time when LCFC were obscure midtable championship. Kante grew up watching French players, his idols, winning stuff at Chelsea.

However, right now there are hundreds of talented kids in Algeria dreaming of following in their heroes footsteps and playing for LCFC, currently by far the most popular PL club in their country, when they grow up. Most of them will switch allegiances to other big clubs along the way. But maybe, just maybe, one day 10 years in the future, a talented Algerian lad will choose to sign for us over the bigger clubs, and then choose to remain loyal, because LCFC was once his boyhood club.

This is inspiring. I want to play for Leicester when I grow up, but unfortunately I'm already 29 so I'll probably be past my peak by the time that happens.

In all seriousness though, I do hope that all the international publicity from last season doesn't wear off too much and continues to help us compete for signings in the future, and possibly give us an edge over similar sized clubs, that extra bit of 'history'.

I saw a bit of analysis from a Nigerian show about Ndidi's move to us, and one of the blokes referred to us as one of the best teams in the world! He obviously must have not watched us much this season, but still a nice bit of propaganda! Hopefully the next Jay-Jay Okocha will grow up thinking we're great too.

9 hours ago, brucey said:

I think you make your own perceptions of how big a club is as a kid too- for example, I always believed Wimbledon to be a club with historic top flight pedigree, as they were ever presents during my childhood- not a small club enjoying their solitary golden era. I remember going to a PL game with Barnsley, and as it's my first memory of them, that's what I associate them with despite it being their only season in the division.

If we can stay up for over a decade, with our title win and CL campaign, a whole generation will grow up with the belief that we're a pretty big club- I don't think it should be underestimated how much of a pedestal the PL is put on, especially in poorer countries without a good standard of football.

53 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

I think you make your own perceptions of how big a club is as a kid too- for example, I always believed Wimbledon to be a club with historic top flight pedigree, as they were ever presents during my childhood- not a small club enjoying their solitary golden era. I remember going to a PL game with Barnsley, and as it's my first memory of them, that's what I associate them with despite it being their only season in the division.

If we can stay up for over a decade, with our title win and CL campaign, a whole generation will grow up with the belief that we're a pretty big club- I don't think it should be underestimated how much of a pedestal the PL is put on, especially in poorer countries without a good standard of football.

True, I grew up thinking that Oxford were an established top flight team, probably envied them at times despite visiting the manor ground, when they eventually dropped I just assumed it was a temporary set back and not a return to their normal level.

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

True, I grew up thinking that Oxford were an established top flight team, probably envied them at times despite visiting the manor ground, when they eventually dropped I just assumed it was a temporary set back and not a return to their normal level.

I grew up in oxford - and it was clear they were never top flight - in the 1960's most still called then headington utd.  Atkinson and his brother colin player like donkeys.   They were in the old div 2 and I only went to the manor to watch the away teams... including a wall collapse v watford.   But you we were right - they did get back to their normal level.

I hope you will all enjoy watching this guy.

We will miss him at Genk

Give him some time. His biggest quality: teams comes always first

He is always allover the pitch winning back the ball

Great signing for you guys

And as far as i'm concerned you got him way too cheap

3 minutes ago, N10 said:

I hope you will all enjoy watching this guy.

We will miss him at Genk

Give him some time. His biggest quality: teams comes always first

He is always allover the pitch winning back the ball

Great signing for you guys

And as far as i'm concerned you got him way too cheap

Cheers mate and good luck to Genk in the future.

Archived