Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Tom Lawrence

12 minutes ago, Leamington Fox said:

Is there any room for a rational debate here?

3. We definitely should not sell him.

5. He may begin to break through next season, so let's see what happens.

Anyone really disagree with those propositions?

The problem is that he is only contracted until June 2018.

Selling this summer might be seen as the best option by the club.

If we can't have him sign a new contract (because Claudio doesn't think he is Premier League 'ready' or because he doesn't think he will get game time), then he would leave for free in June 2018, and we'd be paying his wages for another year (at least in part, if he does go on loan again).

25 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I said a few weeks back we should look at recalling him but I'm not sure about the clause. 

We lack creativity and goals from midfield, both of which Lawrence seems to be providing a poor Ipswich team.

I'd like you lot to get promoted but can't see it for a long time. I'm aware there's negativity around McCarthy but you've no money and seem to sell your better players. I've always preferred you over Norwich.

He can't be recalled, MM has said he will 100% be with us for the remainder of the season. I think Lawrence could challenge for a place in half of the Premier League sides in his current form, and I'm not one to over-hype players for the sake of it. He probably won't be a world beater, but he'll have a decent career in the Prem.

We have been in The Championship since 2002, no promotions nor relegations, I think we are 2 seasons away from being the longest serving club in the 2nd tier ever. An accolade I want us to claim now just for the hell of it. After that, we are long overdue a period back in the Prem.

For the first time in history, Norwich have enjoyed a 5 year spell where they have been better than us. It has been pretty hard to watch, especially considering we sent them down to League One and sang "we'll never play you again". They then got back to back promotions, securing promotion to the Prem at Portman Road. And when they came back down, they beat us in the play-offs. Oh well, we've had three major trophies, two knighted managers, and one hell of a European record football record to remind them of. I think their day in the sun is over now.

McCarthy has been the victim of unfair stick from a lot of fans, he has become a victim of his own success as he can't keep pulling miracles out of his hat, something that Claudio may relate to?

On a side note, I spot your username. I presume you were born in 1992 an live in Sheffield - I think I may know you. If I say I managed a bar on Eccy Road, does that mean anything to you?

4 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

On a side note, I spot your username. I presume you were born in 1992 an live in Sheffield - I think I may know you. If I say I managed a bar on Eccy Road, does that mean anything to you?

Ohhhh......Sheffield Friend!!!!!

1 hour ago, pazzerfox said:

Ohhhh......Sheffield Friend!!!!!

As is Jamie Vardy himself of course, who I have heard many stories about from Sheffield locals. Complete wrong'un by all accounts, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to mention this about him.

Whilst I'm still pottering about on here, your board is a bit different to ours. What is a 'reputation'?

Is your board strictly football?

The whole point of loaning younger players out is to get competetive experience at senior level.

Selling him would be a mistake. Remember Spurs nearly sold Gareth Bale to Forest once!

I'd like to see him in and around the first team setup next season playing in a no.10 type role.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

The whole point of loaning younger players out is to get competetive experience at senior level.

Selling him would be a mistake. Remember Spurs nearly sold Gareth Bale to Forest once!

I'd like to see him in and around the first team setup next season playing in a no.10 type role.

When did forest have the money for Bale? Spuds bought him for 7m in 2007 and forest sold us Wes because they where in the poo.

Lawrence reminds me of Gray and he seems to have grown that confidence you need to take on players and try something special. I say get him back and give him a go off the bench. He seems to have got a bit of body strength to get past challenges whilst he's dribbling, which is something he lacked before he went on loan.

2 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

As is Jamie Vardy himself of course, who I have heard many stories about from Sheffield locals. Complete wrong'un by all accounts, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to mention this about him.

Whilst I'm still pottering about on here, your board is a bit different to ours. What is a 'reputation'?

Reputation is similar to a Facebook 'like' and is 'thumbs up' button at the bottom right hand side of the screen.

Our Football chat consists mainly of slagging every player and management member off until we win a game, then everyone is a hero again!

There is another section of the forum where anything and everything is discussed.  The Tinder thread used to be a highlight!!

26 minutes ago, sylofox said:

When did forest have the money for Bale? Spuds bought him for 7m in 2007 and forest sold us Wes because they where in the poo.

Offered to West Ham, Forest and Brum back in 2009.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2285850/Gareth-Bale-offered-West-Ham-Spurs-3million.html

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

Reputation is similar to a Facebook 'like' and is 'thumbs up' button at the botto right hand side of the screen.

Our Football chat consists mainly of slagging every player and management member off until we win a game, then everyone is a hero again!

There is another section of the forum where anything and everything is discussed.  The Tinder thread used to be a highlight!!

Ah, we have the same concept.

Our football chat is very similar, I spent about half an hour trying to explain to somebody why Leeds can't sign Lawrence before Tuesday without us allowing it due to a contract. He just replied with 'money talks'.

Football and General chat is probably about a 50/50 split, and there are lots of ongoing feuds between posters that have lasted years. A couple of years ago one your fans who was cycling for his kid (I can't remember the exact details, but it was a very worthy cause) popped on to our forum and I remember him saying how overwhelmed he was by our response (I think somebody anonymously donated £1,000).

I'm not saying this to try and play board top trumps, just a genuine curiosity about other club's boards.

If you fancy a reality check about how bad your season is going, pop on www.twtd.co.uk/forum to cheer you up, keep your eyes peeled for threads on Lawrence and it will give more of an insight into how much of an impact he has made the last couple of months.

4 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

I watched Lawrence quite some time ago playing for the u23s against Shalke? Although raw and a bit nieve he stood out from the rest and looked a good prospect. He had after all been brought up in the right circles.

He's clearly since then benefited from his loan experiences. Whilst the Championship is clearly week to week of a lower standard than the Premiership,  is it any worse than the league where Musa came from for example?  Musa is struggling physically and his control for the amount we paid leaves a lot to be desired. Lawrence is currently playing in quite a physical league with confidence, showing both good control, willingness to take a player on and with an end product.

Do we as a club bother to send anyone to monitor his 'all  game' performance? Sometimes what you're looking for can be found right under the end of your nose. If we can't get him back for contractual obligations then he needs monitoring closely and close scrutiny during a full pre-season with us.

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I watched Lawrence quite some time ago playing for the u23s against Shalke? Although raw and a bit nieve he stood out from the rest and looked a good prospect. He had after all been brought up in the right circles.

He's clearly since then benefited from his loan experiences. Whilst the Championship is clearly week to week of a lower standard than the Premiership,  is it any worse than the league where Musa came from for example?  Musa is struggling physically and his control for the amount we paid leaves a lot to be desired. Lawrence is currently playing in quite a physical league with confidence, showing both good control, willingness to take a player on and with an end product.

Do we as a club bother to send anyone to monitor his 'all  game' performance? Sometimes what you're looking for can be found right under the end of your nose. If we can't get him back for contractual obligations then he needs monitoring closely and close scrutiny during a full pre-season with us.

From what I hear from Cardiff fans he is a completely different player to the Lawrence they had last season.

Maybe he is relishing being the star of the show.

As pathetic as it is, we almost have a 'pass to Lawrence' mentality at the moment. From that video you can see that he creates all of those chances himself out of nothing.

I can guarantee you he will absolutely walk our player of the season award, the only competitor is our very much under the radar super keeper, who walked away with it last year. 

I'd be gutted if he's not at least given one more chance in our first team before we have any consideration of selling him. I doubt he'd be playing with the same confidence in our team with a license to shoot from wherever he likes, but he looks absolutely class.

On 29/01/2017 at 10:42, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

He can't be recalled, MM has said he will 100% be with us for the remainder of the season. I think Lawrence could challenge for a place in half of the Premier League sides in his current form, and I'm not one to over-hype players for the sake of it. He probably won't be a world beater, but he'll have a decent career in the Prem.

We have been in The Championship since 2002, no promotions nor relegations, I think we are 2 seasons away from being the longest serving club in the 2nd tier ever. An accolade I want us to claim now just for the hell of it. After that, we are long overdue a period back in the Prem.

For the first time in history, Norwich have enjoyed a 5 year spell where they have been better than us. It has been pretty hard to watch, especially considering we sent them down to League One and sang "we'll never play you again". They then got back to back promotions, securing promotion to the Prem at Portman Road. And when they came back down, they beat us in the play-offs. Oh well, we've had three major trophies, two knighted managers, and one hell of a European record football record to remind them of. I think their day in the sun is over now.

McCarthy has been the victim of unfair stick from a lot of fans, he has become a victim of his own success as he can't keep pulling miracles out of his hat, something that Claudio may relate to?

Thought so. Spoke to an Ipswich fan on twitter who said he couldn't be recalled.

Anyway, I'm from the outskirts of Sheffield not the City itself. I work in City Centre atm but that's it.... There is are quote a few Leicester fans in Sheffield though so I'm guessing it's another fan of a similar age... What bar is it? (DM me if you want). Wouldn't mind popping in if you want to talk Football ;) 

21 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Another temp Sheffielder (Born Leicester, claim to fame: Grandad born and brought up in Filbert Street).

Spoke to someone who knew Vardy recently and she thought he was really rough, with a  terrible reputation which is saying something for Stocksbridge...so they named a stand after him!!

Board strictly Football? Naah. Transfer thread has got absolutely nothing to do with Football.

Saw Pearson in Sheff yesterday; looked really miserable (no change then)

1 hour ago, FoxFossil said:

Another temp Sheffielder (Born Leicester, claim to fame: Grandad born and brought up in Filbert Street).

Spoke to someone who knew Vardy recently and she thought he was really rough, with a  terrible reputation which is saying something for Stocksbridge...so they named a stand after him!!

Board strictly Football? Naah. Transfer thread has got absolutely nothing to do with Football.

Saw Pearson in Sheff yesterday; looked really miserable (no change then)

Yeah, my friend knows his sister and showed me a Facebook post that she put up about him last year.

It went along the lines of....

"Can people please stop talking to me about my brother Jamie, I have access to the T.V and internet so I know he is doing well, but he hasn't been part of our family for some time now and he won't be again, no matter who he plays football for"

Archived