Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Donut

IF Ranieri HAS lost the Dressing Room, How Did This Happen?

I think he's probably too easy a rollover. He's got quite a track record of having a calming influence at first that really helps a dressing room, but eventually they start to abuse that and his authority diminishes.

I didn't subscribe to the losing the dressing room thought at first, but the performances are genuinely Sousa bad and I think that can be the only explanation.

A culture of complacency has crept in at Leicester and I'm not sure he's got what it takes to reverse it.

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Players stabbing a great man in the back because they are a bunch of bedwetting big time Charlie's.

They all need to grow some bollocks and stop feeling sorry for themselves, especially DD as I don't think I can put up with looking at his smacked arse of a face.

Pull your ****ing socks up.

Best post EVER

Thinking back to Sports personality of the year, the players didn't look bothered and when Wes was asked about the manager he just mumbled. 

Just hope we can get the 5 wins we need to probably survive and clear our heads for next season, hopefully with a preseason that's UK based. Doubt CR will be in charge though, just hope it's a graceful exit

25 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

Why do you think, that attitude would change under a new manager?

It might not but sometimes you have to gamble.

As I said Claudio just seems to soft in his approach, blaming himself all the time, looking like a beaten man who's ran out of ideas. We need someone who will show toughness towards these players, I don't see Claudio as that guy atm. He needs to find a way to get them motivated, especially the three players I mentioned as they are so important to our side. If they don't want to change then all we can do is sell them in the Summer, as good as they were last season if they aren't passionate enough to play for Leicester City anymore they can do one.

1 hour ago, whetstonefox said:

Thinking back to Sports personality of the year, the players didn't look bothered and when Wes was asked about the manager he just mumbled. 

Just hope we can get the 5 wins we need to probably survive and clear our heads for next season, hopefully with a preseason that's UK based. Doubt CR will be in charge though, just hope it's a graceful exit

At his age, it's probably Claudio's last job in management. That's what makes it harder to bear. :( 

Like you said when the time comes, hopefully it isn't a total capitulation of the side that brought so much joy last season

10 hours ago, Donut said:

Im at a loss to explain it.

If we are crediting the carryover effects of the great escape season, im at even more of a loss to explain this season.

I can point at slight changes, obviously the loss of Kante, the loss of Walsh, but such a profound change goes way beyond that.

No tactics seem to work. Players dont seem to care. Players seem to have aged 5 years over night almost.

How has this turned so sour, so quickly?

How many more times.........?

I wonder whether Ranieri is Sven 2?

Comes in, like a breath of fresh air. Supportive, positive, says all the right things...and gets success INITIALLY.

Then, as the players start to see they are pretty much soft as shite, they start to take the piss, to rule the roost and to stop trying so hard. Added to this, the amazing success of last season, it's probably not surprising that the players just can't get up for it again. It can't get any better, domestically.

If you look at Sven's and Claudio's careers, there seem to be clear parallels. Initial success, happy players, followed by demise.

It seems to be happening again with us at the moment.

Footballers win football matches, not formations.

And it looks like your 'Heroes' aren't even trying.

Quite simply, these players were given cars, lucrative salaries, contract extensions, praise, adoration etc etc. AND VERY FEW ARGUED WITH ANY OF THIS. 

Now, I fear, the chickens have come home to roost. What these players need now is a kick up the arris. A proper look at themselves. And I don't think they are getting it. They are having it far too easy.

At least, I suspect so.

This is a PATTERN. With Ranieri as with Sven, the success dwindles after about the second season in. 

If you take Ulloa's agents story as true (I'm not saying it is) you could see how he's lost the dressing room. If he has been lying to Leo how many more has he lied to.

Piss off the wrong two or three you would soon lose the lot.

But if we are to believe what comes out in the media (which is probably tosh but as its our only source we go with it), he had a meeting with the players and THEY were the ones that wanted to keep the same tactics. He put the ball in their court. He didnt make them do something they didnt want to do? plus its a straight 4-4-2, its not a Guardiola-eque reinvention of the wheel?

He's the manager, it should be him making the decisions and not the players. If he thought it was the problem, then he needed to change it. It's no wonder they did want to stay 442 though if he's planning to change formations every blooming game.

I just dont see what would cause you to lose faith in what was clearly a fantastic formula we had going. Im totally perplexed

The "formula" was creaking last season and the signs were there.

Perhaps the players are fed up with negative containing tactics when we're not even capable of containing.

9 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Come on Babs, his English is pretty darn good.  I don't think they have any trouble understanding him.  We're talking about footballers.  Simple English :) 

I think it can cause a problem, especially when things aren't going well. I deal with a couple of clients whose English is ok, but are prone to using the wrong words and everything is a bit disjointed. There can be plenty of misunderstandings at just one word being in the wrong place. THE reason, no of course not. But just another one of the list of things that frustrates them probably.

11 hours ago, adejo92 said:

The players have reached their pinnacle and know it would never happen again. Seems they have lost all enthusiasm to play for this club.

All these massive wages, Vardy branching out to everything he can re books and academys, Fuchs now a clothing guru and other players too interested in big money moves.

They have no love for this club and i am not sure any manager can turn that around. Unfortunatly, in football, managers take the blame for the players performances.

Kinda feel sorry for Claudio, some massive ego's to manage.

I could understand players getting complacent and losing that 10% of their game. But this is beyond belief. They're all still footballers and should at least be somewhat interested/capable of doing more than a sulky teenager in PE. It's one thing to lose a yard, but half our players hardly bother to break a sweat. 

On the Guardian podcast last night they were saying that there are widespread rumours in the media that Ranieri is "wildly unpopular" in the dressing room and that a number of the senior players - led by Schmeichel - cannot stand him. It was implied that this is a personality issue more than a football one, that Ranieri is a very different character away from the cameras, and that things are coming to a "very sad end".

Judge for yourselves: from about 35.50 in

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

On the Guardian podcast last night they were saying that are widespread rumours in the media that Ranieri is "wildly unpopular" in the dressing room and that a number of the senior players - led by Schmeichel - cannot stand him. It was implied that this is a personality issue more than a football one, that Ranieri is a very different character away from the cameras, and that things are coming to a "very sad end".

Christ. I really hope this isn't true. I want to be a fly on the wall at Leicester atm. 

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

On the Guardian podcast last night they were saying that are widespread rumours in the media that Ranieri is "wildly unpopular" in the dressing room and that a number of the senior players - led by Schmeichel - cannot stand him. It was implied that this is a personality issue more than a football one, that Ranieri is a very different character away from the cameras, and that things are coming to a "very sad end".

Just listened to the pod this morning on my way to work.

I have listened to this podcast for about 5 years. They tend to be pretty switched on journos with a lot of contacts in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. They have called it right on a number of occasions with other clubs.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing - but if I think back to the last few weeks and the body language of people has been pretty bad. Drinkwater for example - every time he was on camera on the weekend he seemed to be swearing at himself or someone else.

All the developments on the signings front seem to have stopped and Jan is almost finished. Would any of you be surprised if the owners are out looking at the managerial options as we speak?

Ranieri is not a soft touch, his persona in the media as a friendly, simple old man is an act. I believe he's facing a lot of problems with this squad and it's going to end badly. I cannot believe for one minute though that he's as unpopular as that podcast makes out.

56 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

On the Guardian podcast last night they were saying that there are widespread rumours in the media that Ranieri is "wildly unpopular" in the dressing room and that a number of the senior players - led by Schmeichel - cannot stand him. It was implied that this is a personality issue more than a football one, that Ranieri is a very different character away from the cameras, and that things are coming to a "very sad end".

Was just going to mention this. Peter Schmeichel was mentioned in passing as stiring the pot too in this podcast. 

Was mentioned October time 

11 hours ago, Thracian said:

When things are going well a manager's job is easy.

When they go wrong the players look to the manager for answers.

From what I read there have been several "clear the air" dressing room meetings this season and while some might think this a good sign when "one" becomes "two" or "three" then it suggests to me that the manager's been found wanting. 

I don't say a manager shouldn't engage with players or keep himself aware of any developing undercurrents.

But really, it's in a crisis that a good manager emphasises his abilities not by calling on "the floor" to come up with solutions but by quietening the room, explaining exactly what's going wrong and what's to be done about it.

Quite often there might be little to say before a match.

Preparation should all have been done at the training ground so all that's required before kick-off is to fuse the spirit of togetherness, to ensure every players understands 100% what his job is for the day and to let everyone know you think the world of them and have every confidence in their ability to entertain the fabulous fans who pay to watch them.  

Half time is when the manager mattters.

He's analysed the game and his responsibility is clear.

To ensure any winning impetus is maintained or, if the opposition is winning or dominating, to totally de-mystify why that's happened and exactly how the players are going to put it right.

There's no blame game, no breaking of what might already be fragile confidence.

Just a massive motivational boost for the team via the manager's assurance on exactly what's needed to turn the game round and his unwavering certainty that his "Chosen Men" can make his revised instructions prove his point. 

The problem comes if the manager can't read the game, doesn't have a plan and fails to show faith in his players ability to put the wrongs right. . 

It's the manager makes the mood if he's any good. And right now, in the Leicester camp, the mood needs to change for the better and we won't do that with guesswork, compromise or constantly moving the goalposts in terms of tactics or  personnel. 

A disjointed team can't cope with that. They need a system they understand, team-mates  who compliment one another and the benefits that come with constancy. 

Surely we learned most of that last season. Quite why we went off at a tangent instead of evolving naturally, I've no idea.  

I think much of that is true. But I think we lack leaders or at least thinking leaders on the field. No-one on the pitch who analyses what's going wrong, what needs to be tweaked. Yes the manager has a massive role, especially at half time and with substitutions. But who for us out of the snior players is leading by example other than Schmeichel who is not in a position literally to do anything about it? Sadly, Wes Morgan is having a career breakdown in front of everyone's eyes. The anguish on his face says it all. Drinkwater looks totally shot in confidence at best or not bothered at worst in the last few weeks. Fuchs is a joker which is a great trait in many circumstances but not necessarily leading your troops into battle. Vardy looks isolated literally. Last season, we had collective leadership as everyone did their job and it gelled. 

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ranieri is not a soft touch, his persona in the media as a friendly, simple old man is an act. I believe he's facing a lot of problems with this squad and it's going to end badly. I cannot believe for one minute though that he's as unpopular as that podcast makes out.

I agree with you mate - they are essentially a bunch of mates chatting about football and are likely to make things out bigger than they are.

One thing that was mentioned was Kasper and his old man stirring the pot a bit. I know somebody who knows Kasper very well (he still lives up in Manchester and travels to Leicester). I've heard he can be a bit of a diva and his old man still has a huge influence on his footballing life.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Christ. I really hope this isn't true. I want to be a fly on the wall at Leicester atm. 

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

I posted this in another thread the other day. Apologies if you've read it but is interesting having just listened to that podcast... 

"'We had a situation in Welsh rugby back in 2005 when we had won the Grand Slam for the first time in over 25 years with the coach Mike Ruddock coming in and leading the team to triumph in his first season.

He quit after the first game the following season with some senior players including the captain stupidly resenting the attention and plaudits he had got as a result and not playing for him. They called him the bus because he wasn't a 'coach' in their eyes unhappy he had changed the playing style, despite success, and his approach to coaching sessions. Some also felt much of the basis for winning the GS was the previous set-up and them as players doing what they wanted on the field.

I would hope very much we have no parallels here. Ranieri is a gent. I doubt it to be honest but I mention it to highlight success can be an odd thing perhaps even subconsciously."

13 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Players stabbing a great man in the back because they are a bunch of bedwetting big time Charlie's.

They all need to grow some bollocks and stop feeling sorry for themselves, especially DD as I don't think I can put up with looking at his smacked arse of a face.

Pull your ****ing socks up.

I agree, it certainly has a feel about the Chelsea team last year not playing for the manager. 

Geoff tweeted about the players unsure of him last year and this seems to have escalated even more this year. 

If it's the case he either needs to get to grips with this or he will get sacked. 

12 hours ago, nnfox said:

Momentum has a lot to answer for in football.  Last season we had it and rode it perfectly.  This season we started off on the wrong foot.  By that I mean that the players and management knew that retaining the title would be impossible and even getting top four was probably out of the question but the genuinely believed that as Champions, we could just turn up and get the results that ensured a solid season, safe in the knowledge that they would all be remembered for ever in Leicester.  Turns out though that actually, the Premier League is actually quite tough and you can't just turn up and give 75% and expect to win.  Now, that momentum that did us so well last season has turned against us and we are too far adrift to simply change direction, we'll have to ride it out and see where we get to.  The players have let their game drop too far and Ranieri let his drop too but he can see what is happening, I'm not sure the players do.

It would be really sad if Ranieri has lost the dressing room, I don't understand why.  The players should be worshipping the ground he walks on - make no mistake about it, he made them all legends last season and they should thank him daily for the plaudits, adulation and pay rises they got.  If he has lost the dressing room then the players should be absolutely ashamed of themselves and when they look back on their career in 10 or 20 years from now, they will be.

This. 

People are saying Claudio didn't know what he was doing last year!

That is complete and utter bollocks. He completely and utterly got the tactics right by inverting Mahrez and Albrighton, sitting back where necessary forcing the opposition in to wide positions. Then there was the pressing, the counter attacking at speed etc. The whole thing was poetry in motion and played to our individuals strengths. We won the league by 10 pts etc etc.

Now, this season is a different kettle of fish mainly I believe as the players are not putting the work in. 

I said from the get go this season that not pressing, and not playing in a style that gets our most dangerous players on the attack quickly running with the ball if necessary as opposed to the long ball over the top all the while was a massive error. We had to, and still have to somehow get Mahrez and Vardy on the ball in the opposition's half. 

That aside Im losing respect for the players - I think they have stitched Ranners, the club and the fans up good and proper through not enough of the one thing that fans really respect. Giving 100%.

Ive posted this on another thread but bottom line, if Ranieri has to go for us to stay up and move forward for whatever reason then it needs to be done as soon as possible (God knows who we would have though)

Archived