Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Shots Fired Outside House of Commons

17 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Haven't commented much on this in any capacity since it happened, I've come to learn that it's better to let your passion simmer before approaching anything like this.

First of all is massive sympathies and condolences to families and close ones of the individuals who have suffered, it's unfortunately become cliche over recent years but no one should head out for work and not come back in these circumstances. 

I've addressed my views on how toxic Social Media has become in politics and world events and as I mentioned at the start I've followed some brief coverage to get the facts and a level head because it seems some are incapable in the quest for their left or right wing points scoring or just to look the part. It's sad.

I'm in league with Carl's view on it, ultimately we should remember the lives needlessly taken for some world view distorted by hate and misplaced justification, but I've woke up this morning to go to work, I'll return home at 5, chat to my friends and family and I'll do the exact same tomorrow. Life goes on for the vast majority of us. These people feed off mass coverage to prove how scared we are of them. Every uplifting speech is no good when the front pages are tarred in fear.

However, that doesn't mean action shouldn't be taken. Whilst this is an evil minority, the reasons for this sentiment needs to be taken into account and communities need to step up together. This can't be a one way street. 

Now, to be fair to the rags, most of them were quite defiant this morning, sporting this the below imagine with headlines along the lines of do your worst we will all carry on. A lot easier to pull off when its 4 casualties as oppose to 104 casualties but still. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGDmm-VCchUEd7LBjC-vZ

Just now, Manwell Pablo said:

Now, to be fair to the rags, most of them were quite defiant this morning, sporting this the below imagine with headlines along the lines of do your worst we will all carry on. A lot easier to pull off when its 4 casualties as oppose to 104 casualties but still. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGDmm-VCchUEd7LBjC-vZ

Fair enough, I'll concede that I haven't seen any front pages this morning and just assumed off previous form. I'd hope they'll take this line into future attacks, especially abroad. 

Not sure whether or not it has been mentioned, but Nick Robinson was being his usual self last on the 6pm news yesterday. Referring to the French school children he said 'no doubt they had come to London to escape the horrors and atrocities of Paris', talk about ramping it up. I didn't realise Paris had relocated to Baghdad. 

1 minute ago, David Guiza said:

Not sure whether or not it has been mentioned, but Nick Robinson was being his usual self last on the 6pm news yesterday. Referring to the French school children he said 'no doubt they had come to London to escape the horrors and atrocities of Paris', talk about ramping it up. I didn't realise Paris had relocated to Baghdad. 

I heard that. I thought I'm pretty sure they came to London to learn things and go about their daily lives and barely gave a thought to the recent attacks in France.

3 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw that. They were from Brittany FFS. Like saying a group of schoolkids from Cornwall had gone over there to escape the 7/7 bombings.

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Literally don't understand what you are babbling about. My post wasn't saying round up all muslims, or condemn those who have done nothing, my post was saying that we KNOW that there are bad people in this country, we've seen it, we've seen it being preached on the streets and seen people supporting these extremist donkeys. THESE people should be dealt with. You can  go "herp derp but dere beliefs!!" all you want, but extremism isn't welcome here, you can't let extremists foster because you are afraid that the law abiding Muslims (of which there is a vast majority!) might feel threatened. I dare say they would agree with dealing with the people sullying their religion. 

I would address this, but it seems like other folks got in before me. Not much else to add, really, other than generalisation and legislation based on it is much easier to envision than you think.

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Call me desensitised but I struggle to really be all that outraged.  Compare yesterday to any other major terrorism incident recently and you can't help but conclude that we've come out of this event relatively unscathed.  Yes it is of course upsetting that 4 people died because of some idiots' cause but looking at the papers and social media this morning you'd think half of London had been destroyed.  When do we get to the point where terrorist attacks, particularly small-scale ones, are so unremarkable that they only get a brief mention inside the paper and one or two people taking the time to tweet "such a sad thing to happen #soterrible" like whenever tens of civilians are killed by suicide bombers in places like Baghdad?  I'd much rather we were grateful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been and got on with our lives because surely this constant overreaction to any incident in Europe makes these terrorists who see the images splashed all over the news and millions of people tweeting out hyperbole and about a thousand different hashtags think "good, we're famous, we're getting to them".

RUBBISH , do you think the children, mothers fathers, friends of the 3 who died are comparing, and saying "we got away with it pretty good, only 3 are dead"! and be GRATEFUL, Does not matter 1 or 100, especially to family's 

25 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

RUBBISH , do you think the children, mothers fathers, friends of the 3 who died are comparing, and saying "we got away with it pretty good, only 3 are dead"! and be GRATEFUL, Does not matter 1 or 100, especially to family's 

Whilst I don't want to speak for him I really don't think that's what he meant, and tbh I pretty much agree with him.

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

Whilst I don't want to speak for him I really don't think that's what he meant, and tbh I pretty much agree with him.

Good on you, very much doubt you would, if if was your child, mother etc, dead on that pavement yesterday 

3 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

Good on you, very much doubt you would, if if was your child, mother etc, dead on that pavement yesterday 

I think I would still agree that the media are giving it too much sensationalism. Surely these terrorists revel in the notoriety and the exposure their attrocities receive, so aren't we giving them exactly what they want? I'm certainly not saying not to be outraged, but I really don't understand all this hash tagging all over Twitter, and the Eiffel tower turning off it's lights and so on. 

7 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

Depends on whether or not the person could get their head around the idea that personal isn't the same as important.

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Someone has been arrested in Belgium for attempting a similar attack today

Yeah, they found a gun and weapons in his car. I'm guessing someone else felt the need to cowardly murder innocent people one year on from the terrorist attacks in Brussels last year. 

Good job by Belgian police. 

16 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

I wasn't going to get involved, but **** it here we go! 

Not one person in this thread has denied the personal tradegy to the families of the casualities of this attack, even worse was the on duty policeman was killed in the line of duty. But in the grand scheme of things, 3 people dieing is not a huge tradegy as people die in tragic circumstances every single day! I love the emotive language you use talking about being dead on the pavement, but how many people get run over, killed in car accidents, knocked off bikes and end up dead on the pavement every single day. and we hear nothing about them. In places like Iraq, Afganistan and syria, we have dropped bombs that have killed hundreds, if not thousands of innocent civillians - It might get a mention on the TV but you'd be lucky to get a minutes coverage. Now the news is 24/7 London london london - to fill that time, it can't ll be relevant or interesting or not a repeat of things that have already be clarified a 100 times by now. 

Now i can sit back and look at what i've just written objectively and understand why the news outlets are reporting so much, it was a terrorist attack, in the U, people have tragically died and it was outside of our houses of parliment. I understand all of that, and i would expect alot of coverage because of this, but i also agree that the covergae i've seen, certainly after the evnt has been completely overkill. In my opinion they have crossed the line from informative over to inane. 

Now whether or not you agree with that position, surely you can at least understand what others are saying and at least respond in a manner where you are expressing your views in a way that doesn't try and guilt trip people about not carining that people have died. 

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Delete these people from your facebook immediately.  

luckily one of them deleted me because i kept reporting all her fake news bullshit stories.

i do miss her rants when she was booted off facebook for 5 days. 

4 hours ago, ramboacdc said:

i had a stay at home mum who lives in ashby declare herself safe and it made my blood boil!

i have friends that do work in london that it told me to ask if they were safe and they replied but people marking themselves safe even though they werent there just so they can score a few points on facebook and "hope you're ok babes" makes me furious! 

Someone I went college with, who now works in some kind of media/advertising job posted a status yesterday bemoaning the fact there had been a terrorist attack in London when she was heading there today. That's fine.

In the last hour she's declared herself safe. I imagine she is, she's there a day later that it happened, yesterday she was in Leicestershire! I doubt anyone was worried about her seeing as she was safely over a 100 miles away! 

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I mean whilst that's lovely, it's definitely fake. All the same characters are identical, like a font (probably because it is).

it's pretty obvious its fake.. you can tell by how dark the writing is... i'm pretty sure i have seen this sign on a meme generator as well...

Archived