Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Stoke post match 2-0.

12 hours ago, shen said:

I thought we were better in our previous games under Shakespeare. Stoke might have decent players, but none bar maybe Allen showed up today. As I did mention (had you bothered reading my last sentence), I am not complaining. I'd take this sort of performance and result each week. We were clearly much better than Stoke and the only fault is that we didn't win by a bigger margin.

At this stage of the season, it doesn't matter if we win 1-0 or 5-0. Yes it's nice to score lots of goals but I prefer us to keep clean sheets so I'd rather win 2-0 than 3-1 or 4-1 etc. Keeping the defence tight will stand us in good stead for when we play Atletico as we know (especially in the away leg) we will have to defend for long periods. Great confidence boost for the back 4 and Kasper keeping clean sheets. 

3 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Superb performance, magnificent win and well taken goals, what more could you ask for?

And how Shawcross never got sent off I will never know. The tackle on Gray was worthy of a red card and I am sure the ref on reflection will agree. Deplorable tackle, nowhere near the ball and lunged purely to take the player out.

More of an assassination attempt than a tackle - I was right level at the point of impact and thought that Gray would be lucky to play on 

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

No chance of catching Everton in seventh.

given our CL involvement, you can expect squad rotation which hasn't ended so well thus far this season. been a tough season for the fellas and once safe, wonder if we will see a strong end to the campaign. 

Yeah I kind of meant next season but having read back I didn't quite say that! This season I'll be happy with where we are now. 

20 hours ago, USFox said:

Hey hey hey hold on now, I'm an American and I wouldn't say anything like that.

Don't get your knickers in a twist... It was the fact that the OP said " Go Leicester"... which is a real Americanism

Annoyingly the various bits of tv coverage of Ndidi's goal failed to acknowledge the build up, the one touch passing, the movement, the making new angles allows that extra bit of time and space for the shot. Before he hit it the move was being applauded, of course the shot is the spectacular and difficult part and for the shot alone it's a likely contender for Goal of the month at least but when the build up play is factored in it's even better. 

Overall from the start the confidence to pass forwards and to receive and pass the ball in tight areas was back to its best the only thing missing in the second half was that economy of passing ie where every pass and every shooting decision is the best option (having already taken great strides in recent weeks in eliminating the need for those extra touches which slow down the breaks). Vardy could have been played in a few more times but at least Shinji, Mahrez and Gray weren't hesitent of getting their shots in. As individuals their confidence is still rocketing and they probably feel right now that no angle or amount of defenders makes it impossible to score but they just needed to look up and play the right ball instead of being single minded (notably not looking up for options). Having said that it's such a fine line, Ndidi is a hero for the goal, two yards higher and over the bar and it could be "what are you doing shooting from there" so alongside playing the right ball and making the best decision there should always be an allowance for unpredictability and instinct too. I still remember clearly Andy Peake's goals against Watford, such is the affecting power of such moments, let us never lose that from the game through regimented over coaching.

Drinky is back to being a dynamo, with energy and the instinct to pass and drive forwards instead of the over cautious backwards passing and found himself joining in upfield and in wide areas again and making things happen rather than just being a regimented workhorse.

And just a word on Shinji, we take some things for granted but some of those controlled volleyed passes where he met goal kicks with one touch and didn't just aimlessley flick them on but cushioned the ball to a team mate and his general slipperiness (not just slip-over-ness), his intelligence to occupy areas where centre halves don't want to be dragged out to and his overall vision......he should go away more often, he was sharper than normal if anything.

On 1 April 2017 at 19:11, Stevosevic said:

Should have squared it to Vardy to make it 3-0 though.

Another day that could come back to bite us.

If we had not already been 2-0 up he probably would have squared it.

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Drinky looks injured to me. Passing wayward at times and a bit too hesistant. Could be a case of getting him through the Atleti games and then see how he is?  

We know he has a hip injury but apparently it's being 'managed'. Watching the Wes Ham game it seems to me that he wasn't comfortable to make a pass with his right foot across himself to his left (difficult to describe). Much happier to open sidefoot the pass ahead of him or to his right. anyone else notice anything similar ? 

1 minute ago, Gerbold said:

What I admired in Gray yesterday was his willingness to come back on and keep at it - after that thug had walloped him. Somebody talked about an 'orange' card on MoD. Maybe the laggards at the FA need to look at Rugby once more for an alternative to the red card. I could see the ref not wanting to skew the game early doors but the foul was cynical and dangerous - wanting to upset Gray early on. SIn-bin for 15 - 30 mins would have sorted him out. He wouldn't have dared do it to Vardy and he wouldn't have got close enough to Mahrez, so he picked on the new kid. I was hoping Huth (or someone) would clatter him later in the game - old style, like they did in the olden days. But players don't get away with 'revenge' any more (mostly).

Suprised Vardy didn't smash him after that to be honest 

8 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

What I admired in Gray yesterday was his willingness to come back on and keep at it - after that thug had walloped him. Somebody talked about an 'orange' card on MoD. Maybe the laggards at the FA need to look at Rugby once more for an alternative to the red card. I could see the ref not wanting to skew the game early doors but the foul was cynical and dangerous - wanting to upset Gray early on. SIn-bin for 15 - 30 mins would have sorted him out. He wouldn't have dared do it to Vardy and he wouldn't have got close enough to Mahrez, so he picked on the new kid. I was hoping Huth (or someone) would clatter him later in the game - old style, like they did in the olden days. But players don't get away with 'revenge' any more (mostly).

Totally agree, when it happened I said "in the old days our senior players would be confronting him right now" meaning the likes of Walshy would have gone and squared up to Shawcross if he'd clattered an Oakes or Joachim. It's not just the physical damage he's trying to inflict, he's trying to instill a fear factor in one of the younger players and mess with his head and his focus. We wouldn't want to lose a Huth or Vardy for punching Shawcross at that stage but part of me wanted him to at least be bricking himself that he might be getting some come back later. Hopefully Wasilewski was waiting in the tunnel for a "chat".

As for Shawcross, when he ran half the length of the pitch to speak to the ref about an incident that had nothing to do with him (the privilege of being captain?) it was the quickest I'd ever seen him move!

33 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Couldn't agree less. For starters Kante doesn't keep the ball at his feet - except when he wants to. Watch Iniesta and then watch Kante - always keeping ball on the move and always to a free player (that is, an unmarked player) and ever-ready for the killer pass.

Your second statement is a wild punt - when a ex-professional pundit went so far as to call Kante the best defensive midfield player in the world - well, Wilf has a long way to go. He's still sloppy in defence - he got left stranded in one of Stoke's attacks - Kante would have never allowed that to happen. As to playing for "a traditional top club", I'd argue that City have and are occupying a unique position. Interestingly enough, 'Sparky' stated something which made me proud. Something like 'if you let Leicester get one ahead.....'. Meaning that we are viewed as a distinct and difficult entity in Premier terms.

Where's your ambition for Leicester City?

I'm unsure as to what I said that shows a lack of ambition? We aren't a traditional big club. That's a fact. 

Kante and Iniesta are incomparable. Kante with the ball at his feet isn't close to the same level. Ndidi with the ball is better than Kante IMO 

4 hours ago, coolcol said:

Don't get your knickers in a twist... It was the fact that the OP said " Go Leicester"... which is a real Americanism

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification, carry on then.

Ryan Shawcross is a good pro and has had a good career anyone trying to act all sanctimonious about that tackle would do well to remember we have always been an agresive and physical side through the years. Our sides have been famous for it.

In fact our favourite ever player has the record for the most red cards in the history of the football leauge! 

Also it's hypocritical as drinkys tackle on noble against West ham was a bad one that injured the lad and he had to come off in fact it was far worse than Shawcross as that one was a cynical chop where as drinkys was studs up and much more likely to do damage.

8 hours ago, coolcol said:

Forza preservation of our beautiful yet endangered language and culture!

13 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Superb performance, magnificent win and well taken goals, what more could you ask for?

And how Shawcross never got sent off I will never know. The tackle on Gray was worthy of a red card and I am sure the ref on reflection will agree. Deplorable tackle, nowhere near the ball and lunged purely to take the player out.

Agree. Reckless, out of control, deliberate, nowhere near the ball, and potential ankle breaker. Send the cvnt off!

4 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Haha I noticed Huth took it out on Berahino a minute or so after with some sort of elbow incident.

4 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I was watching in a pub full of Chelsea fans, and we all agreed that the Shawcross horrorshow tackle on Gray was a straight red. 

We couldn't get a decent decision against Stoke this season.

19 hours ago, Livid said:

Honestly, back in August, not  knowing how things would go if I had been offered sitting 13th and in a CL quarter final on 1st April I would have took it.

It's the journey we've had to get here and knowing we could have done so much better that irks me.

Yeah it's just 'wasted time' if that makes sense.

This group of players might gradually fall apart and move onto bigger clubs so we need to achieve as much as possible as quickly as possible.

If we've got Kasper, Fuchs, Drinkwater, Ndidi, Mahrez, Gray and Vardy still together next season I'll be both amazed and delighted.

17 hours ago, NeilLCFC said:

It's clear had we got rid of him summer we would be competing to finish in the top 4. It's been great to see us playing the way we are now, but I can't help but feel a sense of missed opportunity and like we've wasted a season so it's hard not to feel frustrated. 

Surely now even you can see I was right when I expressed my concern about CR very early on in the season, and questioned how much of our success was down to him. 

Anyway donut, at least we can relax knowing we're in much better hands under Shakey, and we're still in the CL.

As if anyone would sack the manager who won the PL title the season before.

One thing about Saturday was I right in thinking Stoke deliberately kicked the ball out just to make a substitution and then we gave them the ball back.

I didn't see an injury it just looked a bit odd, firstly them doing it and secondly us giving it them back.

4 minutes ago, Livid said:

One thing about Saturday was I right in thinking Stoke deliberately kicked the ball out just to make a substitution and then we gave them the ball back.

I didn't see an injury it just looked a bit odd, firstly them doing it and secondly us giving it them back.

Spotted this too, what a weird moment that was. 

15 minutes ago, Livid said:

Think it was for Walters, who was apparently suffering from concussion so needed to get off the pitch. Thought the same thing at the time though.

16 minutes ago, Livid said:

Apparently Walters had concussion so needed subbing. they pointed it out to the ref so he told us to give the ball back to them. 

Had we been 1 down with five to go ..............

Archived