Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
aussie-fox

Is this it?

It's hard to believe we will get anywhere near the success of the last two years! but all you can do is hope and at least get stability in the Premier League where we are comfortable for a few seasons and hopefully push on after that. we need to really establish ourselves in the Premier League which means we can't be flirting with relegation but have mid table obscurity for a few seasons

I think this is the start of our new era. I think we will have to re-build in the summer in our weak areas and hopefully get some consistency back next year, where we can challenge the top 6. If we get it right there is no reason why we can't be in the Europa league for seasons to come. Would love us to have a good crack at the FA cup next year too! Just don't want us to settle for the next Stoke, we can aim to be a grade higher in my opinion.

The owners have tasted European football and will want more, so their expectations for coming seasons will be higher than just survival at this level.

Can see us building for a push into those places next season but whether that means a new manager or not depends on who would be interested in the job and how the players would react I suppose.

6 hours ago, aussie-fox said:

Many years ago we all thought the drubbing of sunderland was as good as could get. The club as big as it could possibly be. Obviously it's gone on to be proved that it could get better. Much better.

But after the exit in the CL I'm feeling this is the end of a era for our club. Players will leave in the off season I'm sure of it. So the question has to be asked again. Is this it? Have we experienced the best this club can ever give us.

If so it's been one hell of a journey and Im so glad I got to experience it. 

If Shakespeare gets named permanent manager and we stick to the philosophy of playing counter attacking football I see no reason why we can't achieve top 6 next season. 

I think if Shakey stays then the likes of Vardy and Schmeichel could be influenced to stay too.

I fear Mahrez is off no matter what but with a couple of good additions and I firmly believe Shakespeare could lead us into the top 6. 

I'm going to say it.

If we play like we did yesterday. Creating chances. Absolutely dominating one of the best sides in Europe. Playing to our strengths. With this special group of players. We can win the league again.

There. It's out. What everyone is dreaming but too afraid to say out loud. I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, lee7 said:

If Shakespeare gets named permanent manager and we stick to the philosophy of playing counter attacking football I see no reason why we can't achieve top 6 next season. 

I think if Shakey stays then the likes of Vardy and Schmeichel could be influenced to stay too.

I fear Mahrez is off no matter what but with a couple of good additions and I firmly believe Shakespeare could lead us into the top 6. 

To be fair that kind of ambition is the only way we will keep hold of the likes of Schmeichel and Vards. I think saying we're looking to cement ourselves as a top 10 team, although more realistic, won't cut it. I hope we really do use this as a platform to build on, invest well and most importantly for me, keep our 'brand' (sorry) of football. It fits Leicester, our fans, our underdog mentality and we should buy players that fit into that and Shakey looks like the man to do that. 

Guest CityFan 06

I'd hope this era continues, I'd like us to become a top team for years to come. Next season I think it's a reasonable ambition for us to aim to quality for the Europa League, as well as progress/win the FA Cup.

Mahrez was sounded out by teams and has hence found it more difficult this year 

Hopefully Shakey or whoever gets the job gets time to build on what pearson, ranieri have built 

The last 18 months as well can hardly have dented our rep for signing players 

Not many players would rejected playing at the KP in full voice, the stadium was rocking last night 

Our 'imperial phase' may or may not have passed but when you look at how clubs like Villa, Newcastle, Leeds have fallen and the disillusionment of Arsenal, Manchester x2, Liverpool fans all is can say is I'm over the moon to have witnessed it.

My hope for the club back in May 2014 was that we would at least equal 6 top flight seasons in a row like from August 1996 to May 2002 Half way there.

I'm optimistic that we'll surprise people in the years ahead. People underestimate how far the club has gone to get to where we are. Sure there's a lot of the trappings of modern football we could succumb to but I think players genuinely love it here and there is a desire to succeed at the highest level across the entire club. Even the players that have left like Knockaert and Kramaric seemed upset that it didn't end well for them. Compare that to the ease we lost some of our players in the early 00s after MON. We're more attractive to be at right now outside the top 5 clubs than anywhere else and I'd fancy our chances against most of those top 5 at this moment in time.

We weren't really prepared for domestic football this season but last seasons title victory was a global phenomenon and we couldn't really win back to back titles. God knows how the players remained calm with all the attention.

After the lost decade of the 00s it would be a shame to go back to being a yo yo club so soon. We'll be a steady presence like Nottingham Forest or Everton post titles than an immediate Blackburn style irrelevance at the very least I reckon.

32 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

To be fair that kind of ambition is the only way we will keep hold of the likes of Schmeichel and Vards. I think saying we're looking to cement ourselves as a top 10 team, although more realistic, won't cut it. I hope we really do use this as a platform to build on, invest well and most importantly for me, keep our 'brand' (sorry) of football. It fits Leicester, our fans, our underdog mentality and we should buy players that fit into that and Shakey looks like the man to do that. 

Like you say top 10 is more realistic but stating that as the ambition will not make the players mentioned above desperate to stay. 

I think it's essential we continue with the counter attacking style of football. 

We're already pretty well set up for it. 

Teams will come to us and not throw many bodies forward but that's where the likes of Gray and Mahrez are essential to our team as they're capable of beating a few players and creating some moments of magic so if those two do go we really do need to find like minded replacements. 

Europa league is a realistic target for next season, id argue to say it was this season as well but it didn't go to plan. If we had the form we have now we'd be up there.

Hopefully our players are driven enough to want to experience European football again at the earliest opportunity.

Over the next two seasons, we need to build a team around the following:

KS

DS ?? ?? BC

DG WN ?? MA

?? ??

• I'd love to keep KS. I think he continues to improve. I think he is also a great asset to the team dynamics. I'd give him a really good contract if he asked for it.
  • DS has been one of our most consistent performers (alongside MA) and I think he has a number of years in him yet, enough time to find an understudy.
  • BC will replace Fuchs in the next season or so, and we know Fuchs wants away to the US anyway.
  • The CBs are all aging (even YB, 30), we need to invest heavily there (as we have needed to do over the last two windows)
  • DG is an immense talent. He needs coaching and refining, but he has RM types skills, with pace and aggression. He just needs to look up, be a little bit less greedy and work on his final product.
  • Ndidi, wow.
  • MA is consistent, he isn't flashy, but he gives everything and can influence games. I'd keep him for a few more seasons and look for an understudy.
  • Mahrez is too inconsistent. He might not be good enough for the top sides, but I think some of the teams around us might be interested, but he maybe too costly. But I don't see that he has a long term future with us.
  • DD is also too inconsistent. We need a commanding presence there with Ndidi. That certainly isn't King, I don't think it is Amartey either. But we need a cool, calm collected head, who can manage the centre of the park.
  • Vardy has shown he can still score goals, but he is getting older and his body hasn't been protected, there is only so long that he can keep punishing himself. He is too expensive, and too old, for most clubs, so he will be around for another two years, but we need to start building a team around someone else now.
  • Okazaki does his thing, but we can do better. We need that link up from mid- to attack, but we also need someone who can contribute goals too.
  • Musa, he is OK. First season is always tough, but I was hoping for so much more from him.
  • Slim, he can leave. Despite having the best goal/minutes ratio he isn't the force I was expecting.
  • Ulloa, wants more game time, and I love his effort, but I think we could do better for quality.
  • Mendy, not seen enough but we have Ndidi. So, he can be a bench warmer... when he is fit...
  • Zieler, if he wants to go, he should go. Why sign with KS here, and then complain that your not getting game time. He needs to be realistic. If KS goes, then lets look again at Zieler, but I understand Iversen is supposed to be decent.
  • Kapustka... I have no idea. Could be immense, could be the lightest lightweight in lightweightville. Probably not the future of the club though.

As silly as it sounds, I'd like a British CB, CM and number 10, to have a spine in the team that understands the English game and has the passion of growing up watching the PL (they will be too young to remember anything else!) and having played consistently in shitty weather on bad pitches in the dark. We need quality, which means we will have to spend big.

I think we have a good foundation with the young players I've suggested we build around, and I think we can attract good players now. However, we should have seriously capitalised on our PL win last season though. So, I think we can continue to grow and improve, but we need at least another 5 players to come in to take over from the old guard and that needs to happen next season. Do our business early and give them a really good pre-season, not flying off for stupid exhibition matches.

It's the end of this brief journey but the start of a new one, this journey has gave us a platform to build on.

Feeling very philosophical after last night, not came up with very good philosophical comment yet though. I just keep going on about journeys and being proud! lol 

After all all the recent success the unknown of what is to come is abit scary but I'm sure we can keep going and build on it.

Top 6/Europa League are my aims and I don't think that is unrealistic for one moment.

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We've got billionaire owners, we've put our stock through the roof by winning the league and getting to the CLQF, we've made fat stacks off our league win, the TV revenue and the champions league, we've got state of the are facilities and a reasonable amount of wonga in playing assets.

Anyone acting like we're not a club ready to go places and we've no chance of repeating the feat is a pratt.

Of course, we could invest it horribly, sign a bunch more Musas and hire Felix Magarth as a manager but we could also unearth the next Mourinho and get right back up there.

So, who knows, basically?

We live in a different world, a world where history counts for nothing, a world where having mega bucks is the only thing that separates Man City from being an underachieving yo-yo club to having Pep Guardiola, Sergio Aguero and being the favourites every year.

Alright, Vichai isn't quite an oil sheikh but he's not a pauper either and he's a very smart investor. Sky is the limit. I'll be incredibly disappointed if we're not competitive for the top seven next year.

spot on that

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

We saw what happened after the first leg. Simeone was a mardy Bellend cause he knew they would have a tough job at the KP with only a 1 goal lead.

Now if we had managed to win the game 3-1 last night do you think Simeone would have been as gracious in defeat? Not a chance. He only said those things cause they weathered the storm and progressed. It's easy to say nice things when you have won.

His reaction from the first leg says more to me than last night.

I personally think we have a huge future, I really do.

We have an outstanding team spirit, a team with more talent than we've been given credit for due to its remarkable determination and work rate, owners with ambition who are prepared to invest, an enormous windfall from the exploits of the past two years, the admiration of the football world after an incredible title win and subsequent CL quarter final berth and a manager who has been at the club for all but one year since 2008. The foundations are there to build a genuine football dynasty at Leicester City, and there is no reason at all why we should limit ourselves simply to aspiring to match the likes of Stoke and Southampton as we did when we were first promoted. 

In the first half of the season, we simply couldn't cope with the demands of CL football and dealing with a situation where everybody saw us a major scalp due to our title win. With this situation settled down next season, there is no reason why we can't return to scintillating form. With good recruitment, tactical nous and the ability to keep some of our big names, I see no reason why we cannot finish in the top 8 next season and enjoy a cup run or two. I also cannot see why this shouldn't be a long term ambition for the club. 

What we need next is to bring in a new CB or two, such as Ben Gibson from Middlesbrough, some more midfield cover and possibly a new right back. Spend wisely, and this is just the beginning. 

Archived