Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 06:33, Bert said:

Hate how people make out like this is a problem when it really isn't. You don't see people saying "Drinkwater can only play Right CM". They're top flight professional footballers playing in the centre of the pitch. Doesn't matter what side they play. 

Having played as a centre half all my life (not at the highest of standards, of course) I can tell you that it does matter to have "a side".

It's not at all like central midfield. When you're a centre half you need to know exactly where your partner(s) is at all times.

I always played the left hand side of defence and would find it off putting and strange to play on the right.

I would say it's different for left footers though. A left footed centre half will likely have played his entire career on the left hand side.

A lot of work is done in academies to establish the best position for a player. Usually handed over to the psychology department. It's often determined as much by their visual/ perception/ tracking abilities as by their preferred foot. 

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Having played as a centre half all my life (not at the highest of standards, of course) I can tell you that it does matter to have "a side".

It's not at all like central midfield. When you're a centre half you need to know exactly where your partner(s) is at all times.

I always played the left hand side of defence and would find it off putting and strange to play on the right.

I would say it's different for left footers though. A left footed centre half will likely have played his entire career on the left hand side.

We should have played together!!

Yes it's not absolutely vital to have players that play RCM play in RCM, but in a premier league division when the margins of winning football games are so so small why take risks? If we can get someone in that can play left centre back alongside a right centre back why wouldn't we? 

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

We've got a right winger who plays on the left and a left winger that plays on the right.  There are loads of CB partnerships that are same footed.  Just get the best two in that we can.

5 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

Hmmmm I'm not so sure ..... I played CB for over 20 years (at a crap level), and was far better on the right than on the left...... But at that standard getting to the pitch first and standing on the right was sufficient to bag that spot!!! although its very different i can still see a player having a preferred side.

I'm not saying a player shouldn't have a preferred side. I'm saying that as a professional footballer they should be comfortable playing at RCB or LCB. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

I'm not saying a player shouldn't have a preferred side. I'm saying that as a professional footballer they should be comfortable playing at RCB or LCB. 

Yeah I know ..... But your preferred side is surely where you'll play better / more consistently ..... and with the fine margins of elite sport I'd think that's where I'd want that player to play if I'm the manager?

7 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I'd also say it's just a lot less awkward when trying to tackle a player that's trying to run past you. A lot easier to tackle with your dominant foot/leg when side on to the goal.

E.g. If you're playing in the left slot and the opposition forward is running towards/past you on the outside, it's a more controlled tackle if you go to ground with your left foot outstretched, and vice versa if you're in the right CB slot.

That might make a lot of sense...or none at all. I blame the heat addling my brain.

I don't rate Jonny Evans, never did when he played for Man United in the 2 ish seasons he was 1st choice. And don't particularly at West Brom either.

I don't want him, and if West Brom want to sell him to us, a potential bottom half/relegation dark horse rival, then they don't want him either. 

Which makes me not want him even more :P Jonny Evans is a slightly better Sean St Ledger for me. Only slightly. 

11 minutes ago, maddog said:

I don't rate Jonny Evans, never did when he played for Man United in the 2 ish seasons he was 1st choice. And don't particularly at West Brom either.

I don't want him, and if West Brom want to sell him to us, a potential bottom half/relegation dark horse rival, then they don't want him either. 

Which makes me not want him even more :P Jonny Evans is a slightly better Sean St Ledger for me. Only slightly. 

Evans is a very good defender. Lots of west brom fans saying he's their best player. 

10 minutes ago, maddog said:

Quite the opposite for me. I rate him as a very good defender and would like us to sign him. My only reservation is he does have a bit of a chequered injury record.

West Brom don't want to sell him so they obviously value him as a player. Will take an increased bid for us to have any chance of persuading them to sell.

14 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Evans is a very good defender. Lots of west brom fans saying he's their best player. 

One said to me 'our only irreplaceable outfield player'..,negotiations, if we get that far, promise to be tricky.

On balance I'd prefer him to Gibson &

Smalling but would be happy with any of them.

If we really can't get Keane that is!

3 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I'd also say it's just a lot less awkward when trying to tackle a player that's trying to run past you. A lot easier to tackle with your dominant foot/leg when side on to the goal.

E.g. If you're playing in the left slot and the opposition forward is running towards/past you on the outside, it's a more controlled tackle if you go to ground with your left foot outstretched, and vice versa if you're in the right CB slot.

That might make a lot of sense...or none at all. I blame the heat addling my brain.

I don't really know about that. I was always lucky to be ambidextrous when it comes to my "preferred" foot. I couldn't tell you if i'm left or right.

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't really know about that. I was always lucky to be ambidextrous when it comes to my "preferred" foot. I couldn't tell you if i'm left or right.

lol

I don't think you can refer to feet as being ambidextrous. 

Archived