Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
coolhandfox

Comparing O'Neill LCFC Vs Ranieri LCFC sides

In another thread someone was comparing Lennon and Drinkwater, got me think about who would be in my combined 11. Hard to pick a formation but, I've gone for a 4-4-2, only one I'm not sure about it right back. 

------------Kasper-----------

Simpson Elliott Huth Guppy

--------Kante  Lennon-------

Mahrez ------------------ Izzet

-----Heskey-------Vardy------

Manager: Martin

Bell ringer: Claudio

Maybe me realise we haven't been blessed at RB! Not sure Guppy could be a out and out LB but couldn't leave him out! 

Interest see other people options! 

I'd go for 3-5-2 myself. Leicester have been blessed with plenty of good midfielders but rarely great full backs.

Schmeichel

Elliott

Morgan

Walsh

Kante

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Izzet

Albrighton/Guppy

Heskey

Vardy

We'd probably be a bit exposed down the right but fvck it. We'd score so many gorgeous goals it wouldn't matter. You could stick Lennon in for Drinkwater if you wanted more defensive solidity but I'd rather have Drinky in for his range of passing (assuming he was on form and not injured/sulking).

Schmeichel

Elliott  Walsh  Huth 

Albrighton      Kante      Izzet      Guppy

Mahrez

Heskey    Vardy 

I'm going to try and at least extend the discussion a bit :P

We've actually had some decent cbs between these two sides - Pontus Kaamark is one who would be unlucky to miss out but (of course) it's impossible to argue him ahead of Elliott, Morgan, Walsh, Huth - but he's still worth a mention as he was fantastic for us.

Despite only playing 50 games as well Theo Zagorakis was a really great player for us in the middle, but once again really only Izzet and Guppy could perhaps push their way towards the starting 11, although once again it'd be impossible to not have N'Golo and Danny D for their title winning form.

Have we ever compared our worst sides from say Taylor's reign and Levein's reign? I hated the Levein era, when you've got no money you get Mark de Vries :blink: or of course the fabulous Junior Lewis :o

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Schmiecal

Simpson

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs

Mahrez

Kante

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Okazaki

Vardy

There will never be a better City side

This. Even if we've had better players in certain positions, that team was just so balanced and worked so well as a unit. 

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

We'd probably be a bit exposed down the right but fvck it. We'd score so many gorgeous goals it wouldn't matter. You could stick Lennon in for Drinkwater if you wanted more defensive solidity but I'd rather have Drinky in for his range of passing (assuming he was on form and not injured/sulking).

I honestly think Lennon was one of the best (and probably most underrated) players Leicester have ever had. Who he is as a person seems to tarnish people's memory of him. Muzzy was my favourite player as a kid but Lennon was the most important man in that team. He was the Kante of that team. 

I grew up with O'Neill's LCFC - 10+ games a season, 4 trips to Wembley and 3 trophies, that unforgettable night at Filbert Street against Atletico Madrid - brilliant memories. But Ranieri's LCFC won the ****ing Premier League!!! I only got to one game that season, just before I moved to Cape Town. But I got to witness my Leicester City not only shock but also charm the entire planet.

Difficult thing really comparing the teams, 1 gave us one of the most consistent periods in our history, one the impossible dream. If we judge them on one season then the latter wins hands down, if we judge them over a period of time and as individuals then I guess everyone will come up with a slightly different 11, I love Kasper and he has come on no end during his time here, however Tim Flowers wasn't to shabby a keeper either but he came to us when he was maybe past his best.

If you asked me to name the 11 based on individual merit I would come up with

Kasper

Simpson (just edges grayson and kaamark due to being so consistent defensively)

Huth

Elliott (again plenty to choose from, walsh was a leader and legend in the JT mould but just edged out)

Fuchs, class as an out and out LB

Mahrez

Kante, harsh on Lennon, but Kante made us tick.

Izzet, sorry Drinkwater fans but until the title season Izzet was basically up there in the top 3 players I had the pleasure to see in a City shirt.

Now comes a Dilemma who plays on the other side if I stick to 442, I guess Guppy would just edge Albrighton as i sit and type this, but that maybe nostalgia playing a part. Neither player has real flair but what a work ethic and team player both were.

Upfront

Vardy and Heskey no doubts for me, Heskey extended a few careers by doing so much donkey work for our other forwards and on his day could be unplayable, real shame we never saw him for longer in a Leicester Shirt.

I imagine plenty will all have our own views.

I'd be quite happy to switch to a 433 if we had the pick of players from both eras.

Lennon and Kante protecting the back 4 with Muzzy in a free role with Mahrez and Heskey either side of Vardy wouldn't be to shabby going forward in my book.

And yet all this and I haven't been able to include Esteban as he wasn't a part of it.

Harsh on Wes, he could easily interchange with any of those three I think. Before anyone says it, yeah I know... but 12 people is the only way I can get everyone in. lol

Kasper

Walsh      Huth     Elliott

Albrighton                   Lennon                             Guppy

Kante                    Izzet

Mahrez

Vardy           Heskey

Let's say it how it is, O'Neill's LCFC who finished top 10 a couple of times back in the late 90s in a much weaker league, are not even on the same level as our title winning side.

Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Neill's side be relegated in the current PL, a lot of guts but serious lack of pace, quality on the ball and imagination. The way we played back then would not cut it these days. I see a lot of people have opted for Steve Guppy in the side. Sure, he wa amazing in MON's team but these days simply does not have the pace or versatility to play above Championship level, the game's moved on and sadly there's no room for technical wizards if you don't have the physical attributes

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Neill's side be relegated in the current PL, a lot of guts but serious lack of pace, quality on the ball and imagination.

I think that's a bit unfair - you could say that about most teams of that era - football has changed in 20 years but we were still a quality side at the time. 

Archived