Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

The ones who got away

Following last seasons rather mediocre recruitment where unfortunately we seemed to actually sign everyone we wanted; I was wondering what has happened to those who got away. I don't mean players we were linked with, I mean those who chose to go elsewhere. 

In the summer of Kante and Okazaki we missed out on Vertout and Aranguiz. Vertout flopped at Villa and suffered the ignominy of relegation whilst Aranguiz had the misfortune of a terrible injury. Were there any others who chose to move elsewhere and missed out on their moment in history?

I thought this gonna be one of those "we miss kantè" threads lol

Not sure we were really linked with him but I really wanted idrissa gueye! He is a great player and would've helped a lot with the first half of last season but at least we got n'didi

Keane is another one we missed the boat on, the management should've went for him when he was in the championship, but its easy to day with the help of hindsight lol

If we're going to go really big... Lewandowski. 

I always regret more the players we had that couldn't keep or didn't rate at the time but maybe could have held onto. I'm recent memory, thinking Keane (am sure he would have stayed), Cleverly (I liked him), Davies (as @goose2010 said) and then if only Collymore had stayed longer... 

Billy Sharp and Simon Cox both turned us down after being shown the clubs training grounds. Cox in particular has had a fall from grace. 

Cornelius from Copenhagen - we weren't willing to match Cardiff's ridiculous bid. Ironic that we faced him last year in the CL. 

11 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

If we're going to go really big... Lewandowski. 

I always regret more the players we had that couldn't keep or didn't rate at the time but maybe could have held onto. I'm recent memory, thinking Keane (am sure he would have stayed), Cleverly (I liked him), Davies (as @goose2010 said) and then if only Collymore had stayed longer... 

I know what you mean by players we had on loan and maybe could have got permenantly or utilised better...I remember some lad we played on the wing called Kane, not sure what happened to him.

Jesper Blomqvist - We were seriously in for him, unfortunately so were AC Milan

Keane is an obvious one, but this was confused by Fergie's policy of not loaning a player to the same club twice... the mgmt changes of both Utd & us... We should've signed him when crowned Champions... bloody Ranieri's crappy transfers

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Oriel Romeu at Sot'n was close to coming here, wasn't he?

Can't remember if that was 2 summers ago instead of Kanté or as his replacement last year.

His stats are very good at S'ton

Outside of Kante, Gueys & Matic he's about the best in the league for tackles or recoveries... etc

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Who's that bloke who came out and said he couldn't wait to have a strike partnership with Jamie Vardy?

Surprised me at the time as we seemed to be that guys number one choice for where he wanted to go.

Eder. Went to Inter instead.

Archived