Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

MK Dons.. Friendly.. Tonight.

6 hours ago, the fox said:

What is this talk about "it's just preseason"? I can look past the pool match because they are a far superior team, but against league 1 teams? I expect prem players to be far better, not look like they can't hit the broad side of a Barn without mahrez! In 4 games, the team scored 3 goals, 2 by riyad and non without him on the pitch! A close to 210 minutes without a goal when riyad isn't playing! Does that sound good to anyone here?!

Because it is literally just pre season. At the very worst it shows that our squad is a bit thin and we might lack a touch of creativity, but it's not wholly representative of us, come on. Especially with the team we put out.

Remember 2013. Four days before the season began and we lost 2-1 to Northampton and played like crap. We then went on and won the league with 102 points. Why do people get so hysterical at friendlies? Good lord. If we get spanked 5-0 next Friday then I might start raising eyebrows but A) we won't and B) it won't truly represent us!

Analysis for analysis sake. Finished 0-0, fitness gained, £15 or whatever it was robbed from the fools who went, job done.

7 hours ago, filbertway said:

Do you ever have an opinion?

You just seem to hate any form of criticism and want to fish out blow jobs regardless of performance. I think they need to work and earn them myself. Co

Seems like this game once again proves that our squad is weak as dicks. we need to stop being sentimental and actually try and sign quality to replace the players that aren't good enough to push onto the next level. 

Ha, whilst my oral skills are pretty damn good I take your point but my reaction is usually at those that are just being negative for the sake of it, I respond badly to well reasoned, constructive criticism.  I think, as a fan, I would rather be positive and sometimes get disappointed than be negative all the time waiting to be proved wrong then moaning anyway (not accusing you of that, just some of the more negative on here).

With regards to your point, I think you are right in some ways but I am not sure things are quite as bad as all that.  Friendly are always an odd affair with "big teams" often not playing well/losing against lower ones.  The year we won the league pre-season was pretty shite (not saying we will win this year, just pointing out they are not always an indicator of league form).

Anyway, Amartey was almost there when I read your message, just off to finish him off.  I have a great ball maneuver which really tips him over the edge. X

19 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Ulloa didn't look good enough to play for the MK Dons let alone us!! 

..WTF does Shakey see in him?? 

Hopefully nothing after that.

It did look like the line up against MK was mostly our fringe players. People on here must remember this is nothing like our starting 11. 

He gave them a chance to impress and ultimately apart from probably Amartey, Iborra, Lawrence and Chilwell none of them really took it on the night. 

Chillwell was fantastic and has really kicked on, Benaloune looked class with some great long passes and marshalled the defence well. Johnson is defiantly one for the future but hopefully just a season or so away from the 1st team. Lawrence had moment but his basic error rate was terrible, can't see him holding a starting place in the prem. Gray creates so much and is always threat but just needs to relax and stop trying to force chances that are never there. Ulloa ....... bloody awful, time to move on, not a new contract.

10 hours ago, daz*dsb said:

I'm away on my honeymoon currently sat outside in the south of France enjoying good wine and sunshine. Fortunately I wasn't at home watching, what I can only assume from this thread was the normal LCFC pre-season guff. 

I absolutely know that we have, once again, failed to address the glaring issues with our squad. We're going to be crap next season and once again we'll all be left wondering how we won the league and then failed to build from there. 

I have an absolute shit-ton of decorating / patio-laying to do this year and if we look anything near as bad as last year then I'll probably stick my season ticket in a drawer and spend my weekends doing something productive instead of watching our half-assed squad piss about for 90 minutes sideways, backwards, without an ounce of creativity / no clue and no game-plan. 

Can't wait! 

Could you come and decorate my stairs and landing area as they need doing after you've finished yours? I can't really be bothered. I've got a season ticket so you'd be welcome to come and do the work for free whilst I'm at the game. 

You lot are too negative again. apart from the finishing there was a lot of good things to see out there last night and apart from Ulloa I think we saw good and bad from everyone.

Chilwell should start in front of Fuchs for me - I know he makes an error now and again but his game overall has so much more effort and energy in it than fuchs and his crosses last night matched Fuchs. Amartey actually looked good as a CB in the second half - he had nothing to do in the first. Benny showed that he's a capable back-up and with us still showing no signs of getting an RB him and amartey are going to be needed to cover. The passes from the back and movement with the ball was far better than last season's starters. In midfield Iborra playing up front was interesting, I like his size and intelligence though some of his passes were poor, Matty, playing with this lot seems to be shakey saying he's a back-up and the season starts with DD and Wilf - I'm fine with that. The young RB played like a young RB, mistakes that we couldn't have in the prem but what potential for a young guy. Gray had a good 60-70 mins and then his lack of match fitness told towards the end. King - I don't really understand and Ulloa was poor, if we're getting Iheanacho then Musa should have been the loan striker today. Not really sure why Ben Hamer got the time between the sticks if he is 3rd choice, might as well go to Eldin.

Enjoyable even if all our shots seem to go for conversions - do we have a shooting coach?

11 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Haven't changed my mind about looking over our shoulder this season. Whether we're "good enough" or not remains atm but we don't creative enough and that's worrying. Can't see anything positive happening this season, as I voted in the poll other day I think we'll finish between 13th-17th.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Seriously, it's games like this, when you actually look at that side, that make you think players like Sigurdsson might just be worth paying for. If they can make that essential difference, they probably are.

You can criticise the performance of the eleven on there but this game is no indicator of our potential performance this season.  Did you see the line up? This was the back up bridage. They will be players in that eleven who won't play or start a game for us all season. We've know all along the squad needs better quality but we simply have to let go of players first. Our first eleven is a good Premier League team. 

50 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You can criticise the performance of the eleven on there but this game is no indicator of our potential performance this season.  Did you see the line up? This was the back up bridage. They will be players in that eleven who won't play or start a game for us all season. We've know all along the squad needs better quality but we simply have to let go of players first. Our first eleven is a good Premier League team. 

I didn't creaticise the performance, just said we lack creativity - which we do. Take Mahrez and Vardy out the team and our attacking threat looks poor. I for one never overreact after friendlies and I certainly think there are plenty of teams with worse squads than us but I certainly am not expecting anything this season. 

2 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

What I'm most concerned about is that we can't play Okazaki and Slim today (assuming Vardy plays), so one of them misses out meaning that Shakey has prioritised giving Leo minutes over them. Worrying to say the least.

Still have the Borussia Mönchengladbach game next week, and that should see Vardy and Slimani play (as a substitute, most likely), with Okazaki in the CF role. I'd say Ulloa is striker No.3 at the moment, behind Vardy and Slimani (provided Slimani works on his all-around play, then he could be quite a weapon).

9 hours ago, the fox said:

What is this talk about "it's just preseason"? I can look past the pool match because they are a far superior team, but against league 1 teams? I expect prem players to be far better, not look like they can't hit the broad side of a Barn without mahrez! In 4 games, the team scored 3 goals, 2 by riyad and non without him on the pitch! A close to 210 minutes without a goal when riyad isn't playing! Does that sound good to anyone here?!

First of all, Liverpool aren't a "far superior team". They may have "better players" in some departments, but that doesn't make them invincible.

Pre-season is just that - pre-season. These matches are to get everybody match-fit and it also provides an opportunity for fringe players to show what they've got and the manager can detect faults within the system or adjust certain players' behaviour on the pitch.

I don't get the point of people getting so wound up over pre-season results. I bet you'd claim we could win the league if we had thrashed these ones 5-0, 6-0.

What is decisive is the start to the season and that we have learnt from our mistakes in 16/17 in terms of team morale and individual approach to games. The mindset must be right, that is quintessential.

the players have probably had more rigorous games of kiss chase than the football against the dons! lol 

these freindlies are just not competitive but obviously just to build up fitness and team bonding before the bigger friendlies and then the new season!

Offered nothing going forward. 

Ulloa wasn't good at all, and Lawrence and Gray both failed to show they have it it them to become established first teamers. Only one game though, I'd like us to keep Lawrence this year and give him some game time. Gray should get more time this year too. 

Iborra was better when he went forward than Ulloa. 

James and King didn't really do much good or bad in the middle. Chilwell okay. The lad at right back - Darnell Johnson - was skinned a few times and clearly isn't ready for first team football. 

Amartey and Benelouane were our best two players imho. 

3 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

The guy is dogsh1te. If opinions upset you, get off the forum.

lol opinions don't upset me mate stupidity does.

How is he dogsh1te?

Was he dogsh1te in his first season when he was by far our best striker scoring 13 goals to keep us in the leauge?

Was he dogsh1te in his 2nd season when he started 6 games and scored 6 goals including the absolutely huge winner v Norwich and the equaliser v the hammers. Oh and in the process played a massive part in us winning the premier leauge title for the first time in our clubs history.

Leo has proved to be a fantastic signing and has been brilliant for us. Maybe you think he's not quite up to it now which is fine. But can't you be a bit more respectful to members of our greatest ever side?

5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Ha, whilst my oral skills are pretty damn good I take your point but my reaction is usually at those that are just being negative for the sake of it, I respond badly to well reasoned, constructive criticism.  I think, as a fan, I would rather be positive and sometimes get disappointed than be negative all the time waiting to be proved wrong then moaning anyway (not accusing you of that, just some of the more negative on here).

With regards to your point, I think you are right in some ways but I am not sure things are quite as bad as all that.  Friendly are always an odd affair with "big teams" often not playing well/losing against lower ones.  The year we won the league pre-season was pretty shite (not saying we will win this year, just pointing out they are not always an indicator of league form).

Anyway, Amartey was almost there when I read your message, just off to finish him off.  I have a great ball maneuver which really tips him over the edge. X

Happens all the time.  Means nothing.  

Everybody relax.

Belated reflections on last night. My immediate post match reaction was one of disappointment.

Nevertheless,there were good performances from Chilwell,James,Iborra and promising from Amartey at CB and Lawrence. My main disappointment was with the poor finishing . Although it was Gray's first game pre-season he did not perform at Chilwell's level (who looks a class act) and continued to have problems converting good approach play once he approached the opposition box.

Let's see what the ' A ' team can do at Molineux.

Archived