Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Grow up and get behind Riyad, or: stop listening to the press and wait and see how he reacts on the pitch

According to Riyad's "friend", as I read it, he picked up his play this season to put himself back in the shop window. And there was me thinking he was doing for his team and team mates. Sticks in the graw.  But let's hope he does it again though for the next few months before he hopefully then goes for the correct market value.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

We definitely did the right thing morally. No doubt about that. We can be proud we have strong owners that stand up to being bullied; god forbid we wind up like Southampton (and everyone else really) who allow players to hold too much power. But I think in this particular situation - I think we'll end up letting him go for much less in the summer, and I don't think we'll get much out of him for the rest of the season, so in the cold light of day we'll come out worse. Something to be said for feeling good about how we've gone about things though. I don't think we could win either way.

I agree with you that we couldn't win either way, definitely. You might well be right about him going for less in the summer but then the market is only getting crazier. He might well down tools but I personally don't think he will (or not for very long if he does) because the biggest loser then would be Riyad as then he'll never get his 'dream move'. 

1 minute ago, Paddy. said:

I agree with you that we couldn't win either way, definitely. You might well be right about him going for less in the summer but then the market is only getting crazier. He might well down tools but I personally don't think he will (or not for very long if he does) because the biggest loser then would be Riyad as then he'll never get his 'dream move'. 

I hope so! I worry that this time he'll really just give up. I reckon his mentality will be well, I did what you asked, came back and played well - that didn't work - so **** it, I'm done. Might be underestimating the lad and his representatives though; maybe they're smarter than they seem!

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

If he downs tools he wont play for the rest of the year. Man City barely want him anyway. They wont buy him in the next window

And no matter what happens, if we sold him at the 11th hour for below the market rate with no time to find a replacement we'd be mugs and we'd be mugs forever

It worked out fine for Southampton with Van D. Worked out fine for Liverpool with Coutinho

We are right not to let the tail wag the dog

Yep - if he downs tools, he won't play, and he won't get his move. But we'll then end up offloading him anyway, for much less money. If this happens; we have a useless player for the rest of the season, and we're losing out on what would have been a huge amount of money regardless of how the rest of the market looks now.

I do hope I'm wrong and he pulls his sleeves up, plays to get his move, and we can get a fair price in the summer. I think you have more trust in his personality than I do. That scrote of an agent he has, Joorabchian - just don't trust him to advise Riyad to play for his move. I think the advice will be the other way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

He was not anywhere near a £95m player when he signed. He only is now because the markets gone wild.

You really put money making above saving lives.

Are you just here to wind people up.

well, he is a 95 million player now, so better pay up.

and you are the guy how is winding people up! players making millions and millions of dollars for the club so they get what they deserve. what's next, you want female footballers to be paid as much as male footballers because of "equality"?

it business, you generate more so you get paid more. saving lifes has nothing to do with it

Edited by the fox

not sure on this. he's a 'street footballer'.  the type who just wants to play. never happy to be subbed. probably kicks anything and everything he finds at his feet. he wont be able to cope with not playing so if puel tells him he will only be picked if he puts it in then I suspect he will do.

the alternative will be grim to watch for us

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Yep - if he downs tools, he won't play, and he won't get his move. But we'll then end up offloading him anyway, for much less money. If this happens; we have a useless player for the rest of the season, and we're losing out on what would have been a huge amount of money regardless of how the rest of the market looks now.

I do hope I'm wrong and he pulls his sleeves up, plays to get his move, and we can get a fair price in the summer. I think you have more trust in his personality than I do. That scrote of an agent he has, Joorabchian - just don't trust him to advise Riyad to play for his move. I think the advice will be the other way.

Its possible it will end up being a bad decision i suppose. But the benefits of it working out are worth the risks imo

5 minutes ago, the fox said:

well, he is a 95 million player now, so better pay up.

We'll he has  contract that runs for another two and a half years. The club have no reason to give him a new one so he will have to struggle on £100k a week.

lollol He's going to struggle the next two weeks now the club have given him a fine.

Perhaps Leicesters nurses and firemen should have a whip round for him lollollol 

Just now, sylofox said:

We'll he has  contract that runs for another two and a half years. The club have no reason to give him a new one so he will have to struggle on £100k a week.

lollol He's going to struggle the next two weeks now the club have given him a fine.

Perhaps Leicesters nurses and firemen should have a whip round for him lollollol 

and he should be fined!

so, what are you saying is, the team can ask more money for the player if he increases in value compared to the time he signed the contract but a player isn't allowed to ask for a bigger wage if he is now worth more ?

double standered at it's finest

The club should have given Mahrez the option to buy out part of his contract. See how desperate he was to leave.

65 mil of man city's money and 10 of his?

Countinho funded his transfer.

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

and he should be fined!

so, what are you saying is, the team can ask more money for the player if he increases in value compared to the time he signed the contract but a player isn't allowed to ask for a bigger wage if he is now worth more ?

Great so when his value goes down we only need to pay him £50k. 

23 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

If he downs tools he wont play for the rest of the year. Man City barely want him anyway. They wont buy him in the next window

And no matter what happens, if we sold him at the 11th hour for below the market rate with no time to find a replacement we'd be mugs and we'd be mugs forever

It worked out fine for Southampton with Van D. Worked out fine for Liverpool with Coutinho

This sums it up. Even if we end up worse off, we've stuck to our principles and set the tone moving forward. Southampton set their tone years ago by selling Lallana and Lambert to Liverpool, and look what happened to them- became a selling club, and now paying the price of their unsustainable business model.

• Like 1

Trouble is as I see it. He wants to move on to bigger and better things, fair enough he’s ambitious and I’d guess wants Champions league football. But it seems to me, he’s dammed if he does and dammed if he don’t. 

By that I mean, if he sulks, it’s unlikely anyone will want him, if they do, any offer won’t meet our valuation. 

If he turns it on between now and the summer will anyone pay the money we clearly want, ie getting on towards 90 mil. 

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Great so when his value goes down we only need to pay him £50k. 

if he refuses to play, keep fining him i don't care. i didn't expect him to show up today, think he's too mad and embarrassed to show up in front of his teammates

11 minutes ago, the fox said:

and he should be fined!

Can we get a rebate from him for the 16/17 season then?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

That's what Man City want, they're ****ing with his head to lower the price, to get him for cheap in the summer

• Like 1