Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

4 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

The thing is once the Mahrez money comes in plus the funds from other players plus an already substantial spending pot

..... will the owners trust him to spend it wisely ??? He deserves more time ... but will he get it ??

It's a crucial time for the club and if Wilf and Harry's heads are turned we are deep in the smelly stuff .

I mean, I would - based on his record of player development. I don’t see us paying over the odds for much in a Puel world.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm not saying that. But his messages to the players aren't always understood.

Not being understood seems (and please forgive the understatement) a tad problematic if you're trying to be the chap in charge.

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Not being understood seems (and please forgive the understatement) a tad problematic if you're trying to be the chap in charge.

but it's his second language, it doesn't matter....:S

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'll avoid your insinuation - I suspect it's less about language, and more about personality...

I'm not insinuating anything, merely repeating what people have told me in the past.

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Is this because the players don't want to listen or is he just a bad communicator? saying that you can't understand him when he is interviewed so it's doesn't bode well for future either way.

Tomorrow s going to be an important day ...    CP must be acutely aware of the situation and be feeling some pressure...   I’m all for thinking about the future and trying out new systems and blooding younger players ..  but if he picks a team WE all know will most probably lose, then ...   well, my mind will be made up.   If he picks the best possible team and plays them in their best positions, but they don’t seem interested, then that might indicate the players are trying to undermine his position ...  in which case the owners will have a dilemma ...   like I said, this has become a bit of a watershed game and could define what happens next.

57 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Tomorrow s going to be an important day ...    CP must be acutely aware of the situation and be feeling some pressure...   I’m all for thinking about the future and trying out new systems and blooding younger players ..  but if he picks a team WE all know will most probably lose, then ...   well, my mind will be made up.   If he picks the best possible team and plays them in their best positions, but they don’t seem interested, then that might indicate the players are trying to undermine his position ...  in which case the owners will have a dilemma ...   like I said, this has become a bit of a watershed game and could define what happens next.

I am one of the wierdos,I want to see Puel stay ,with backing from a good transfer management Window

then trust + backing from the management,in a clear the air talks through the whole Club.Keep the talks

within 4 walls but inform over the media and outlets,intention and future targets to the Fans.

Give us something,to mull over and remotivate the terraces.

I unterstand with your post,your thoughts totally,but I must say,for me that watershed game was

the Newcastle Blamage.I wanted to see how the players approach and attitude would be from

this game and Rest of the season,they not Puel had something to prove,and show their Individual

desire to chase a reasonable target,and improve and put a positive note on their own CVs.

Again it wasnt for me if we achieved that target,but our players show of desire,and despite any

thoughts on tactics and Forum thoughts over Puel,they the players had to put in the performances.

These last 3 games, hit flashflood levels,that demolished any potential watershed.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Communication is a two-way street Geoff, and sometimes I imagine messages get lost in translation others just don't want to be heard.

• Like 3

Lots of talk of players downing tools again. Am I the only one who isn't really seeing that?

Yes, the performances are not good but I don't see a lack of effort causing that. A bit of confusion and frustration maybe.

There was definitely a huge drop off with Claudio and that was backed up by the stats in terms of sprints/distance run etc and just the naked eye seeing a real drop off in effort. I know it's difficult to compare stats now as the style is so different.

I actually think the players are doing their best to try implement the style Puel wants but some just simply struggle and others are suffering from the system itself, similar to how Southampton did. The players are being asked to keep possession and build the play with short, quick and accurate passes. I just think many of our players are incapable of doing that to a high enough level that it is indeed successful. 

I part much more blame on Puel's shoulders for being either too stubborn to adapt to his squad capabilities or worse and just not seeing what we can all see. It's almost as if he is trying to convert a sprinter into a marathon runner and being baffled by it not being successful.

Even if the players are more responsible than I acknowledge, the same old argument comes up. Sack the manager or sack half the squad or maybe even more, as not one player has improved or looked at home in this new system!  

• Like 1

There is a management team in place to support the manager and ensure that his ideas and instructions are fully understood and acted upon so it feels a bit of a weak excuse to me. However if the players don’t buy in and don’t want to play for him then it is a massive problem and the manager will go regardless of how good or forward thinking he might be.

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

They are grown adults - if they don't understand something they ask for clarification? I really don't buy that line. And surely Appleton (or even our captain?...) is spending enough time with both camps to be able to translate them for those that don't understand. 

If something is not understood that is the fault of everyone not just the manager. They have a responsibility to fully understand what is being asked of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I've been a staunch defender of Puel and things he has tried to do at the club but after the Palace game I'm comfortably sat on the fence.

I'm a great advocate of a lot of things he has done whilst here. He quickly got us out of the relegation battle and has tried to change our style and did so initially with great success. He showed great restraint in the transfer market in January signing only a young player for buttons when he probably had the green light to spend £30m-£40m if he really wanted it.  He tried to get rid of some deadwood in Slimani, Ulloa, King and Musa and wasn't afraid to leave us with three strikers so he could give Iheanacho more of a chance. I also feel Puel would never sanction £12m fees for a 30 year old squad player like Iborra and would prefer to give the likes of Choudhury a chance.

I like how Puel thinks and I feel he would spend the club's money very wisely. I think most of our buys would either be big money buys on players who would automatically become one of the best players in the team or young up and coming players to supplement the squad. I don't think we'd see many buys like Iborra who cost good money that we would unlikely see a return on and don't necessarily improve the first XI.

However I don't have enough information to make a valid opinion if Puel should be sacked. I trust the players to want what is best for the club. Under Ranieri they revolted and rightly so IMO. The players seemed to have stopped pressing under his instruction. If the players were moaning that they were being worked too hard then I'll side with the manager but the players were being held back apparently. If I was in a charge at the club I'd speak to a few of the senior players to find out if they had faith in Puel and whatever they said would probably seal his fate one way or another.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I like a lot of Puel's principles and I wish we had a director of football with a similar thought process. I'm just concerned that he hasn't got the ability to fully implement it at Leicester.

I still expect he'll be sacked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I agree with pretty much all of this. I like a lot of Puel's principles and I wish we had a director of football with a similar thought process. I'm just concerned that he hasn't got the ability to fully implement it at Leicester.

I still expect he'll be sacked.

Funnily enough the thought has gone through my head what a brilliant DOF he could be if he was really hands on.

He would be great at directing our scouting and be really demanding that a manager bring through youth rather than rely on expensive squad players with high salaries. He could help get in a manager that's skills were tactics, motivation and people skills. The players under Martin O'Neill said he made them feel 10 foot tall and they'd run through brick walls for him. Someone with the personality of O'Neill and who was astute in tactics and thinking of the game with Puel DOF would be a dream team for me.

• Like 3

Just now, Donut said:

That's the end of that then.

They also gave Claudio their full support before his grim run continued ...

I think doing this protects them  if we are mullered in the last three matches - no one can accuse them of leaving him exposed and unsupported.