Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

Surprised he's still in charge. Perhaps the awards dinner meant the owners were reluctant to change him this week. I don't see the players playing for him after the 5-0 game.

I still expect him to go at the end of the season. I can see another thrashing by Spurs on the last day of the season given current form.

14 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

How does that work then? Given I’ve been heavily critical of Morgan for some time 

I'm saying that we, if we want to ever progress as a club, need to move away from the perspective of "but he won the league/he saved the penalty against Sevilla"; all that rhetoric is why we have so much deadwood at this club. (I was using Morgan as a prime example of this).

Rudkin was DoF when we won us the league. So? Rudkin didn't win us the league. Sure he negotiated the Kante transfer. Well done. That's his job. But since then he's been a Yes-man for the Thais and has seriously messed up any chance of Leicester going onto the "next level". I don't understand why you want fans to have perspective of Rudkin? Why, because he held a position when we won the league? 

You seem to basically agree that Morgan and Co should be shipped off. I'm just questioning why Rudkin should be given a bit of a free-pass? Correct me if I am wrong.

3 hours ago, maynefox said:

I'm saying that we, if we want to ever progress as a club, need to move away from the perspective of "but he won the league/he saved the penalty against Sevilla"; all that rhetoric is why we have so much deadwood at this club. (I was using Morgan as a prime example of this).

Rudkin was DoF when we won us the league. So? Rudkin didn't win us the league. Sure he negotiated the Kante transfer. Well done. That's his job. But since then he's been a Yes-man for the Thais and has seriously messed up any chance of Leicester going onto the "next level". I don't understand why you want fans to have perspective of Rudkin? Why, because he held a position when we won the league? 

You seem to basically agree that Morgan and Co should be shipped off. I'm just questioning why Rudkin should be given a bit of a free-pass? Correct me if I am wrong.

I’m not giving him a free pass by any stretch. The transition of taking the club to the next level appears to have been managed fairly badly, and he must take a large portion of responsibility for that. Yet you cannot ignore past successes either.

What I will say as well is that people seem to take discussions on forums as gospel. There are very few people that are actually privy to goings on behind the scenes, and I doubt very much whether they go on forums like this and spill the beans. You get a few ITK, and ‘my mates best friends dog’ claims, but how much of our perspectives and opinions are based on actual facts. Not many I would have thought. Yet people make statements and judgements based on little more than hear say.

Edited by bmouth_fox

17:45JAMES NURSEY

Puel's Leicester reign at breaking point

Claude Puel’s Leicester reign is at breaking point. French coach Puel is under huge pressure after an embarrassing 5–0 loss at Crystal Palace made it just two wins in 11 League matches.

Foxes’ players are understood to be disillusioned with his team selections, man-management and tactics.While unhappy fans have booed them off in their last two games despite the 2015/2016 champions being ninth.

City are preparing for back-to-back home games against West Ham on Saturday and then Arsenal next Wednesday.

If Leicester toil again and fans revolt, their Thai owners could be left with little choice but to pull the trigger.

The club held their end of season awards on Tuesday night but Puel did not give a speech.

Vice chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabhadid and plans to spend big this summer but offered few signs of Puel’s reign continuing next term.

Puel was previously sacked by Southampton last June despite coming eighth in the top-flight before taking charge at City in October on a contact until 2020.

• Like 2

I find it worrying if puel does go which looks likely we bring a new man in and the deadwood get another chance with a new guy. I do agree the last few months under puel hasn’t been great to watch and results record being poor. In puels defense he has identified who is useless and who he wants to get rid of (musa, king etc). Just my opinion but I think puel has tried to change us to quickly - the back 4 for example, which needed changing after we won the League. Also lets not forgot he's signed 1 player so far. He wants to develop youth which is a good thing but this takes time. I'm going to be in a minority but I'd like to see him given the start of next season. If he's still here imo hell have to win the west ham game to have any chance for next season. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I find it worrying if puel does go which looks likely we bring a new man in and the deadwood get another chance with a new guy. I do agree the last few months under puel hasn’t been great to watch and results record being poor. In puels defense he has identified who is useless and who he wants to get rid of (musa, king etc). Just my opinion but I think puel has tried to change us to quickly - the back 4 for example, which needed changing after we won the League. Also lets not forgot he's signed 1 player so far. He wants to develop youth which is a good thing but this takes time. I'm going to be in a minority but I'd like to see him given the start of next season. If he's still here imo hell have to win the west ham game to have any chance for next season. 

Has he? For starters he keeps. picking. Morgan and other poor underperforming players.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Has he? For starters he keeps. picking. Morgan and other poor underperforming players.

I'll admit his selection of morgan is bafilling but I don't think we have great options to replace players out of form. With the exception of vardy I think the majority have been inconsistent. 

We was brought in to do the job of lifting us out of a relegation threat and implement a new style of play that would sustain our Premier League status. He's done his job but his style isn't working.

I have no hate of the man and I hope the end of his employment will be respectful.

3 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

I’m not giving him a free pass by any stretch. The transition of taking the club to the next level appears to have been managed fairly badly, and he must take a large portion of responsibility for that. Yet you cannot ignore past successes either.

What I will say as well is that people seem to take discussions on forums as gospel. There are very few people that are actually privy to goings on behind the scenes, and I doubt very much whether they go on forums like this and spill the beans. You get a few ITK, and ‘my mates best friends dog’ claims, but how much of our perspectives and opinions are based on actual facts. Not many I would have thought. Yet people make statements and judgements based on little more than hear say.

Is it even possible for us to progress to some kind of next level? What would that mean? Replacing one of the big six? Not starting every season first and foremost hoping we’re not relegated?

i would argue to get to the next level we need to some how secure a high quality manager of the calibre of Rafa, and I would argue the only conceivable way of doing that is offering him a war chest of £200 million, and I don’t think we have quite that level of ambition.

4 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Is it even possible for us to progress to some kind of next level? What would that mean? Replacing one of the big six? Not starting every season first and foremost hoping we’re not relegated?

i would argue to get to the next level we need to some how secure a high quality manager of the calibre of Rafa, and I would argue the only conceivable way of doing that is offering him a war chest of £200 million, and I don’t think we have quite that level of ambition.

Good question - what is that next level? I guess there’s an argument to say it’s not yo-yoing?

I would hope though that it’s a bit more than that - and perhaps the Rafa and warchest scenario you speak of. 7-8th, challenging the top 6 and regularise European football. 

If we think it is merely not yo-yoing, then is that ambitious enough? If you’re not ambitious you risk staying still, and there’s a slippery slope between that and declining - like Southampton and Stoke have this season. 

Why Leicester City would desperately regret letting Claude Puel go

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/feature-why-leicester-city-would-desperately-regret-letting-claude-puel-go/

Once again, and without good reason, Claude Puel seems to be on the verge of being unfairly dismissed from a position in the Premier League, the Frenchman once more a symbol of the lack of patience currently on display at the vast majority of clubs in the English top flight. Various members of the English media have tried to pin his so-called failings on his “quiet demeanour,” his “chopping and changing” or a “lack of intensity in taking training,” but could it be that, despite his manifest success in a variety of situations, his real undoing is simply a combination of boardroom impatience and the well-moneyed player and his attendant power? To wit, Puel, now with his sixth club, and second outside of his native France, has inarguably succeeded at each turn, but despite this, has more often been forced out, save his departures from Lille and Nice.

That said, there have been, by and large extenuating circumstances for each of these situations. At Southampton, Puel achieved nearly the same placement as his predecessor, Ronald Koeman, but in a much more exacting situation. It may be that his football was far from exciting, but pragmatism was needed to solidify the Saints’ position in the Premier League, and this, as well as a run to the League Cup final, was handily achieved despite having to reconstruct a defence left threadbare by the sale of Jose Fonte and Virgil Van Dijk’s lengthy absence due to injury.

In attack, again, Southampton under Puel were often stagnant, but the sales of Sadio Mané, Graziano Pelle and Victor Wanyama, coupled with Charlie Austin’s injury record, left him with few options; a top half finish with that set of players, especially in light of their current plight, now seems near-miraculous.

Puel was also pushed out at Lyon, but not before leading Les Gones to a Champions’ League semi-final, even as the club struggled financially, hamstrung by the twin disappointments of injuries to Yoann Gourcuff and the poor form of Aly Cissokho. So, too, at Monaco, where despite Puel winning a league title and doing well to develop the likes of Rafa Marquez and Marcelo Gallardo, the team, not yet the moneyed entity of the present, were also forced to sell their most talented players, including David Trezeguet, Willy Sagnol and Fabien Barthez. Thus, while Puel has been shown the door more than once in his career, it can be also argued that when he has been given time and support within a club’s means, he has not only succeeded, but also overseen his sides playing some rather exciting football.

At Nice and Lille, where he spent four and six seasons respectively, Puel was given time and patience was duly rewarded, with Lille becoming a Champions’ League regular. Not only did Les Dogues of this era play attractive football, they were also a young squad, with Mathieu Debuchy, Yohan Cabaye and Kévin Mirallas all playing important roles while also handing debuts to the likes of Eden Hazard and Adil Rami.

So, too, at Nice, where even as Lucien Favre has moved the club on from Puel’s turn at the helm, the Swiss has not only benefitted from a considerably higher level of investment but also Puel’s improvement of youngsters like Ricardo Pereira and Alassane Pléa. Too, Puel has shown a good touch with veteran players as well, getting the best out of Hatem Ben Arfa during their lone season together.

While it is inarguably true that a manager must take the blame for his side’s recent tepid performances, that the Foxes have so comfortably achieved safety given their situation when Puel took over is more than a counterweight to any rumoured friction within the squad. Too, there is the matter of Leicester’s player transfer policy. The club have done well in recent years, spotting bargains with the likes of Kasper Schmeichel, N’Golo Kanté, Wes Morgan and Jamie Vardy, but since returning to the Premier League, there have also been no small number of missteps, including the Adrien Silva fiasco and Islam Slimani and Kelechi Iheanacho failing to impress.

Add to this how unsettled Riyad Mahrez seemed to be after Manchester City’s aborted pursuit in the January window, and the personnel situation at Leicester has hardly ideal, forcing Puel to make do with a poorly assembled squad in which he had no hand in building.

At Leicester, then, it may be near-impossible to undervalue Puel’s eye for bringing in young players and improving them. Leicester are likely to undergo significant turnover this summer, with Mahrez expected to be sold and a raft of older players (Christian Fuchs, Shinji Okazaki, Wes Morgan, Jamie Vardy) also in the running to seek greener pastures. Pereira, Jean Michaël Seri and Pléa stand out as recent examples, but Puel has also plucked the likes of Éric Abidal, Michel Bastos and Stephan Lichsteiner from relative obscurity. If Leicester do want to invest this summer, do the club’s ownership want to trust a manager with good contacts in talent-rich France, or the leadership that brought in Ahmed Musa and Nampalys Mendy?

In addition to his impressive track record in the transfer market, as he had in his previous tenures, including Southampton, he has also improved the play of the likes of Wilfred Ndidi, Ben Chilwell and Harry Maguire. Thus, given Puel’s combination of acumen in the transfer market and his ability to get the best out of young players, succeeding even whilst on a tight budget, he would seem an ideal manager for any ambitious side.

That rumblings over his future continue, though, point to the power of the player. Managers are certainly well-compensated, but players, given the tens of millions of pounds clubs are forced to bandy about in wages and transfer fees in the current environment, have come to represent the new apex of power in today’s game.

That well-compensated professionals, so obsessed by their own self-interest, would be unhappy given a perceived lack of clarity in certain aspects of Puel’s approach is certainly understandable, but these players, and the club’s owners would do well to take a more holistic approach to his career, recognising him for the successful manager he has been throughout it.

If not, the worry here is that rather than scrapping at the fringes of the Europa League places, Leicester, with that mooted mass exodus and another potentially poor transfer window, could quite easily find themselves in a similar position to where Southampton are at present, hamstrung by unrealistic expectations and short-sightedness and more worried about survival than a top-half finish.

• Like 4

The thing that puts me off Puel is the starting of Morgan continually. Why did Dragovic start a few games, keep clean sheets only to be dropped. It's happened twice now (he kept a clean sheet vs Southampton).

Additionally, the players don't look interested under Puel, they just look like they can't be bothered.

Why wasn't a RB signed in January?

Finally, Mahrez, throws his toys out of the pram, sits out one game and then comes straight back in. He should have left him out for a while and proved a point.

We just literally look clueless on the ball, like we don't have a clue how to score a goal.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since christmas it was clear we would finish 7th - 9th no matter how we did. And Puel has put no plans in place at all for the following season. He seems to be going from game to game with no idea in mind of how to play. Mahrez rejoins and starts every game since admitting he wants to leave. Terrible message to the team and players. Clearly not planning for the following season. Gray and Diabate both could be good players, but are constantly subbed off or get limited get time. Why have they not played 10-15 games each constantly. Gray we have had for few seasons now and we are still deciding if he will be good for us. So he should have played every game since christmas in his favourite position to see if he would be a good replacement for Riyad and to see if he is good enough. 

Chilwell has played often which I do think is a good choice from Puel. However changing the back 4 pretty much every game does not help familiarity amongst the defence. Who is our best RB for next season? Who will start cm, lm, rm or even alongside Vardy. There are so many decisions that need to be made which should have been tested since christmas, and this to me is more alarming. If Puel is a "builder not a fire fighter " ( I think he said ) what has he built. He has not gave players time or a chance to impress with a consistent run and any thought process for next season.  

His constant picking of Morgan, even though the best run we had under Puel was down to a formidable defence of Dragovic and maguire for a few games on the run. 

Loans out both of our target men, and then the team decide to cross the ball to Vardy every game as, quite correctly, teams drop of and stop any through balls for Vardy. 

There is no plan B, I feel quite harsh saying this but I have no idea what Puel does for a plan A either. 

We have very decent players in my opinion, and they clearly are not motivated by the manager. Let alone I am bored from even a 1 minute post match interview of his. I do get he wants to pass the ball more. Problem is one of our best passers of the ball is Iborra, and he dropped him for half the games as well. I would release him from his contract this weekend, Appleton in charge until end of season. And go for a new gaffer for next season. Silva my choice, but we will all have our own opinions on who we want. 

• Thanks 1

A old article I’ve just found about Puel’ sacking from Southampton http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/07/10/southampton-the-claude-puel-chronicles/

Fans saw flashes of brilliant, pacey counter attacks, but the lion’s share of Southampton performances this season have been dull, limp and flat”

”In possession, Southampton spent most of their time passing across midfield and defence, rarely encroaching on the final third of the field. Chance creation remained high, but goals were scarce”

The Times reckon he's on the brink. Doesn't sound like there's much substance behind the article mind.

Leicester City close to sacking Claude Puel

Tim Nash

May 3 2018, 12:01am, The Times

Football

Puel could lose his job if Leicester fail to beat West Ham this weekend

Claude Puel may have one more game to save his job as Leicester City manager. Club officials were said to be furious after last week’s 5-0 collapse at Crystal Palace and it is understood that a repeat performance at home to West Ham United this Saturday may spell the end of the Frenchman’s six-month tenure.

Supporters called for Puel’s head during Saturday’s defeat at Selhurst Park. Players are unhappy with the manager’s lack of communication and his tactics after he initially returned to the high-pressing game that won the title in 2016. Leicester have won just four of their past 18 Premier League games under Puel, ending hopes of a European spot. They are ninth but have taken just one point from the past 12 available.

The home games against West Ham and then Arsenal next Wednesday could give Puel a chance to win a stay of execution. But there remain underlying concerns that he could be on borrowed time. Marco Silva, the former Hull City and Watford head coach, has admirers on the Leicester board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Where do these news outlets get this information that Puel is about to be sacked? I hope they aren't just reading this forum. 

That's what I thought, didn't seem to name any source, sounded like a made-up filler story to me. Thought I'd post anyway however. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

just read that article, certainly makes some good points tbh, after reading it im kind of heading towards giving Puel a bit of a chance, but that might well change if we play crap on Saturday tbh:unsure:

My thoughts exactly.  What has turned me was last week’s circus and his obsession in playing Morgan.   Before this, I was also very much in favor of giving him a chance.  But even if he is given more time, I fear he will be torpedoed by our recruitment team, who really do have a lot  to answer for.